Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS Upgrade Bid System Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 28, 2016, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Nick Art
Plusgrade is no longer in use by SAS. They run their own bid process as of February 2nd 2022.

These are the new terms and conditions: https://www.flysas.com/travel/upgrad...rade-tc-en.pdf.

As a major change to the flow, successful bids no longer earn points from the upgraded booking class, but gets a fixed number of additional points depending on the regions of the flight:

Within and between Sweden, Denmark (incl The Faeroe Islands), Norway, Finland, Estonia, and Latvia
  • SAS Go to SAS Plus: 250 Basispoints
To, from, and within other European countries:
  • SAS Go to SAS Plus: 500 Basispoints
To and from Asia and the US:
  • SAS Go to SAS Plus: 1500 Basispoints
  • SAS Plus to SAS Business: 1500 Basispoints
  • SAS Go to SAS Business: 3000 Basispoints
Print Wikipost

SAS Upgrade Bid System Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2022, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Shaetan
Does a successful bid reticket into a new fare class (and does it depend on if the bid is made with $ or points)? Asking with respect to PQP accrual on United.
It used to under Plusgrade, but under the new system I have yet to see a report of what happens. But as you now just get a slight change in points, I doubt they will change the booking class, so your PQP would likely remain the same....
Old Jun 5, 2022, 1:46 pm

That's unfortunate, but ty.

Any datapoints on how points vs $$ are weighed for the bids?
Old Jun 5, 2022, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by YZF_Flyer
Any idea of the minimum bid on EWR-OSL under the new regime, both to Plus and Business?
I booked the PE deal posted and the min bid from Plus to Business was 450 Euro.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 5:24 am

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Question about cancelling bid

Hey everyone, i have a cash bid on Cph-SFO. There is a chance i might have to change my flight and won't know until day before.

Is it correct that i can cancel a bid without any fee 25 hours before the flight? Hopefully i will know by then if i need to do so....
Old Jun 13, 2022, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by desafino
I booked the PE deal posted and the min bid from Plus to Business was 450 Euro.
Curious. It shows me 720 Euro or 29K points for the TATL (IAD-CPH) flight PE to J. I wonder.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by tr3k
Curious. It shows me 720 Euro or 29K points for the TATL (IAD-CPH) flight PE to J. I wonder.
I now see the minimum bid for my flight (EWR-OSL) as 720 Euro as well.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 6:10 am

Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but is there a place where people share datapoints about what bids have been successful or unsuccessful?

I notice many folks referencing the minimum bid - do I have much chance of having the minimum bid accepted on an intra-Europe flight? I’ve never bid to upgrade on SAS before, but the few times I’ve tried Plusgrade on other airlines, my bids have been too low.

I know SAS Plus is nothing too special (intra-Europe) but I’m interested in having priority with all the long lines at airports this summer. The routes I’m flying and minimum bids are OSL-CPH (min 40 USD) and CPH-FAE (min 60 USD). Thanks for any insights!
Old Jun 29, 2022, 6:29 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by jimindc
I notice many folks referencing the minimum bid - do I have much chance of having the minimum bid accepted on an intra-Europe flight?
I got upgraded several times on Scandinavian routes with the minimum bid. I imagine not that many people bid for upgrade.

Be careful though, sometimes upgrading from Go to Plus may result in you having to sit in the middle seat. People who booked Plus get free seat reservation so by the time you get upgraded, there may not be any window/aisle seats left, while Go has plenty of those.

Last edited by the810; Jun 29, 2022 at 10:51 am
Old Jun 29, 2022, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by the810
I got upgraded several times on Scandinavian routes with the minimum bid. I imagine not that many people bid for upgrade.

Be careful though, sometimes upgrading from Go to Plus may result in you having to sit in the middle seat. People who booked Plus get free seat reservation so by the you get upgraded, there may not be any window/aisle seats left, while Go has plenty of those.
Thanks! That’s a really good point about middle seats and something I hadn’t thought of - will keep it in mind!
Old Jul 2, 2022, 11:32 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Minimum bid for CPH-WAW: 7000 pts / 580DKK, which means 1.16kr to earn 1 additional basic point. This system is not worth looking at from the re-qualification point of view. It seems that buying PLUS SMART tickets is directly cheaper (0.39DKK/basic point). Not exactly a bargain this bidding system.

Also, there seems to be a reduction of the earning rate on PLUS tickets. The best an EBD can do now according to the reservation system (on the above stretch) is 1500 points, and it used to be 1875 points. And this reduction makes PLUS PRO tickets an interesting from re-qualification point of view. PLUS PRO has lower yield of miles per DKK than PLUS SMART.

One really cannot push away this impressions that amateurs are designing these rules.

Last edited by SK2751; Jul 2, 2022 at 11:39 am
Old Jul 2, 2022, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by SK2751
Minimum bid for CPH-WAW: 7000 pts / 580DKK, which means 1.16kr to earn 1 additional basic point. This system is not worth looking at from the re-qualification point of view. It seems that buying PLUS SMART tickets is directly cheaper (0.39DKK/basic point). Not exactly a bargain this bidding system.

Also, there seems to be a reduction of the earning rate on PLUS tickets. The best an EBD can do now according to the reservation system (on the above stretch) is 1500 points, and it used to be 1875 points. And this reduction makes PLUS PRO tickets an interesting from re-qualification point of view. PLUS PRO has lower yield of miles per DKK than PLUS SMART.

One really cannot push away this impressions that amateurs are designing these rules.
1500 is before the 25% boost for being gold or above. And you can get up to 2500 on the stretch, though I guess paying for Plus Flex is more than absurdly expensive....

Old Jul 3, 2022, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
1500 is before the 25% boost for being gold or above. And you can get up to 2500 on the stretch, though I guess paying for Plus Flex is more than absurdly expensive....

I see. I got confused apparently. The system does display earnings with bonus included (and this is what I calculated with), but I did not pay attention to buckets. Apparently I got offered A for both PLUS SMART and PLUS PRO, which resulted in 1250 and 1500 being displayed - did not realize that there is the 1200 points rate. Thanks for the clarification.

Still, my main point holds, the upgrade program seems completely uninteresting from re-qualification perspective, at least on short haul (but it never was long haul - the value in LH is more in the cabin than in the points, and I doubt this has changed).
I need to find an optimal way to re-qualify, or decide to just give up. I am already LTG, so I could put my effort in more pleasant activities.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SK2751
I see. I got confused apparently. The system does display earnings with bonus included (and this is what I calculated with), but I did not pay attention to buckets. Apparently I got offered A for both PLUS SMART and PLUS PRO, which resulted in 1250 and 1500 being displayed - did not realize that there is the 1200 points rate. Thanks for the clarification.

Still, my main point holds, the upgrade program seems completely uninteresting from re-qualification perspective, at least on short haul (but it never was long haul - the value in LH is more in the cabin than in the points, and I doubt this has changed).
I need to find an optimal way to re-qualify, or decide to just give up. I am already LTG, so I could put my effort in more pleasant activities.
Yeah, the upgrades on European flights are kind of pointless from a a basic points perspective now. And well, they always were from a service perspective. So that leaves....??? Nothing?
Old Jul 3, 2022, 5:49 am

Exactly my point. I am turning elsewhere.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
SEK 2700 PLus to Business transatlantic

I booked Plus ORD-CPH-IAD. The minimum bid for an upgrade to C is only SEK 2700 in both directions. Is it a special discount for Swedes because of the weak currency? If bid around that amount a red dot appears warning me of a low bid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.