FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   SAS | EuroBonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus-499/)
-   -   Are SAS planes getting filthier? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus/1753798-sas-planes-getting-filthier.html)

ObserverA3 Mar 18, 2016 4:39 am

Are SAS planes getting filthier?

Had two disgusting experiences on CPH - OSL this week. Inbound the seat had (I hope!) chocolate stains; outbound, some crumbles of unknown origin (maybe potato chips) were on the seat.

I understand SAS doesn't have time when turning planes around, but this is getting too much and might be the one thing that will make me switch my loyalty program to oneworld*. Surely a quick visual by CC could identify and rectify these things?!

*if you discount the perks (but sadly, I value lounge access, priority check-in and priority boarding too much), the actual flight experience is vastly superior on SAS competitors, but that's hardly news.

FlyingMoose Mar 18, 2016 5:15 am

In Coach or Plus?

I only fly Plus intra-EU but have had few incidents that involved an unclean chair. The older 737's look a bit more worn down than the A32*'s you'll find flying to and from CPH.

The biggest challenge with switching to OW on routes like CPH-OSL is that the closest OW alternative is going to come with a considerable detour that involves at least 3x the amount of time traveling.

You could opt for Norwegian but if you consider SK a miserable experience, you're in for a whole new surprise.

oliver2002 Mar 18, 2016 8:18 am

Originally Posted by ObserverA3 (Post 26349847)
I understand SAS doesn't have time when turning planes around, but this is getting too much and might be the one thing that will make me switch my loyalty program to oneworld*.

BA has quite dirty cabins too ;)

SK2751 Mar 18, 2016 8:50 am

B737s are quite run down, and the overhead bins are made of the kind of plastic that makes this painfully visible (at least for pax that are tall enough to see this).

The seats i normally find OK, but they do not have this newness polish that LH is good at. I guess this is entirely Scandinavian. Things have to be good, not necessarily brand new.

But I have not seen excessive dirt, etc. recently. I fly CRJ routes a lot, and I think these machines are still relatively new and clean.

dznyboy Mar 18, 2016 11:08 am

the 737 are new and old.
only the 737-600 are all old.
some -800 are from 2014 and some are from 1998.
Check the upper right corner of the window and you will find the aprox date (attleast year) the plane was made.

Often i have boarding the plane and its not attall been cleaned.
I state that because...
I have on several sas flights out of OSL/STH/COP boarded the plane 3-4 min after passengers left that same plane.

oliver2002 Mar 18, 2016 11:51 am

Age has nothing to with the condition of the interior. Its just upto the degree of cleaning that is done between rotations, during the night checks and A checks.

highupinthesky Mar 18, 2016 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by dznyboy (Post 26351272)
the 737 are new and old.
only the 737-600 are all old.
some -800 are from 2014 and some are from 1998.
Check the upper right corner of the window and you will find the aprox date (attleast year) the plane was made.

Often i have boarding the plane and its not attall been cleaned.
I state that because...
I have on several sas flights out of OSL/STH/COP boarded the plane 3-4 min after passengers left that same plane.

The planes are always getting a quick cleaning between two flights, but the cleaning crew only remove the visible garbage, put the seat belts back in place and a quick vacuum where needed. In CDG you can often see the cleaning crew enter the plane and leave again, and they are in and out in less then 10 min. Often as little as 5.
If the plane is delayed and no cleaning crew are available the stewardesses will do a very basic cleaning and put the seat belts back in place.

CPH-Flyer Mar 18, 2016 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 26350493)
BA has quite dirty cabins too ;)

Especially on long haul. The 772 mostly look terrible on the inside.

It is a factor of what people on average are willing to pay for a flight....

highupinthesky Mar 19, 2016 9:35 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 26353135)
Especially on long haul. The 772 mostly look terrible on the inside.

It is a factor of what people on average are willing to pay for a flight....

I heard lately that some of the BA long haul planes are infested with bed bugs. :confused: