Community
Wiki Posts
Search

VPN in CPH lounge

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2015, 5:22 am
Original Poster

VPN in CPH lounge

Anybody noticed you can no longer connect to an external VPN when using SAS wifi in the lounge? Airport wifi or 3G/LTE is fine, so it looks like SAS went to the trouble of deliberately blocking it. Which always seems a little suspect to me.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Asleep at the Yoke
Anybody noticed you can no longer connect to an external VPN when using SAS wifi in the lounge? Airport wifi or 3G/LTE is fine, so it looks like SAS went to the trouble of deliberately blocking it. Which always seems a little suspect to me.
It should be a fairly recent change then. My next CPH departure is with BA, so I can't test again soon.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 3:58 pm

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Was working fine 1,5 week ago.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 2:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
I had the same issue in the ARN T5 lounge yesterday.
Using the free airport wifi, VPN worked, but the SAS lounge wifi was a no-go.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 10:52 am
Suspended

Worked fine for me. Maybe you should talk to your IT department first ...
Old Jan 3, 2016, 11:07 am
ekf

We all should remember that there are different kinds of VPN, some may be blocked and some not. The most common ones I think would be PPTP, IPSec and OpenVPN.
It would be interesting to read what kinds of VPN that members here experience are blocked.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 12:13 pm

I suppose they just block all ports besides the usual ones... not really blocking VPN in itself. Tunneling through an SSL/TLS (OpenVPN style) tunnel still works
Old Jan 4, 2016, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fassy
I suppose they just block all ports besides the usual ones... not really blocking VPN in itself. Tunneling through an SSL/TLS (OpenVPN style) tunnel still works
Quite possible (though it still seems of dubious value to them.). For me it was openvpn (1194/udp).

I was mostly curious if others had noticed or they were just experimenting when I was there.

Thx
Old Jan 5, 2016, 12:51 am

Blocking all but http(s) traffic is the naive way to try to rule out peer to peer sharing abuse...

This way the lounge operator can claim they do reasonable steps to protect the content providers rights... And avoid those silly lawsuits
Old Jan 8, 2016, 10:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
Originally Posted by Sara Khalid
How can they block VPN, i'm not sure whether they can trace the vpn tunneling through their network. I would still suggest you guys to ask the concerned support team of your vpn provider, Going on a public wifi is equally danger as you may reveal your information to others and thus using VPN in public WiFi is most important thing.
I always use Purevpn in Istanbul, Kuala Lumpur and Bolton airport.
I don't think that the SAS lounge WiFi is any more secure than public WiFi networks. I didn't notice any WEP or WPA2 encryption, just a login portal.
Having a choice between an open SAS lounge WiFi network that blocks my VPN (ExpressVPN) and an open airport WiFi network that allows VPN, the choice is pretty simple.
UA lounge networks also block some VPN connections. I guess SAS has copied their approach.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Anybody noticed you can no longer connect to an external VPN when using SAS wifi in the lounge?
I did not know that SAS is operating lounges in Mainland China.

Joke aside!

I have heard that SAS IT has bought some kind of Chinese-made network devices.
They have built in VPN-detection algorithms which kill VPN connections.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 1:02 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
I was just in the CPH lounge because of an involuntary change to my itinerary. The wifi which I praised here has gone from great to terrible. Apparently their improvement was recognised and got praise so they had to go back and made it worse, in typical SK fashion. I could VPN just fine but whatever equipment they installed made sure it wasn't usable.

I don't understand how a multi-billion dollar company has an IT department that is this clueless. It was a great experience being let down by the useless wifi, while confirming they still haven't fixed the deleted points problem, while being at an airport I shouldn't have been at in the first place.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 2:39 am

On a side note - I was yesterday able to connect just fine to the CPH WiFi from remote stand 70. A stand which is beyond terminal F - and halfway to Malmö. ^
Old Jan 29, 2016, 1:05 pm

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
I was just in the CPH lounge because of an involuntary change to my itinerary. The wifi which I praised here has gone from great to terrible. Apparently their improvement was recognised and got praise so they had to go back and made it worse, in typical SK fashion. I could VPN just fine but whatever equipment they installed made sure it wasn't usable.

I don't understand how a multi-billion dollar company has an IT department that is this clueless. It was a great experience being let down by the useless wifi, while confirming they still haven't fixed the deleted points problem, while being at an airport I shouldn't have been at in the first place.
Could it be related to the lounge load? CPH lounges have quite predictable peak times. I think the internet is weak when there is many people in the lounge, and perfectly alright if there are few (which indicates that the link and/or equipment are not of sufficient power for the needs).
Old Jan 29, 2016, 5:35 pm

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond
Originally Posted by wazow
Could it be related to the lounge load? CPH lounges have quite predictable peak times. I think the internet is weak when there is many people in the lounge, and perfectly alright if there are few (which indicates that the link and/or equipment are not of sufficient power for the needs).
It's very poor tbh.
I was there today during 4pm and 6pm. Free seating spots but definitely not empty and it was quite slow at loading basic websites.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.