Business class longhaul

Old Dec 9, 15, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Originally Posted by livious View Post
Do I understand that you correct that you are comparing EU-Asia C class on SK with trans-pacific F class on UA/AA?
I would sincerely hope that expectations would be different between C and F class, both in service and food quality. I get your point that we tend to complain about 1st world problems, but I think your earlier post was a bit dramatic. I would hope that both the FAs (customer service) and the passenger (human decency) should be nice and that food quality should improve with the cabin/cost. Otherwise people are paying a high premium for the seat.
Did you ever fly TPAC first with AA or United? Food is nothing special, wines are forgettable, and service highly variable. It has nothing to do with an actual F experience. It is a poor business class with a good seat.
Old Dec 9, 15, 10:43 pm
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Flight Attendants

I somehow get the impression that the people criticizing SK flight attendants criticize them for the same reason that I am usually very satisfied with them: they are professional, experienced and, even though in a service profession, not subservient.

If one wants nubile, servile flight attendants: by all means choose other airlines where the home market expects that attitude.
Old Dec 9, 15, 11:12 pm

Programs: SK *G
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
Did you ever fly TPAC first with AA or United? Food is nothing special, wines are forgettable, and service highly variable. It has nothing to do with an actual F experience. It is a poor business class with a good seat.
No, but what does it have to do with a C class review of SAS? I see no problem discussing the food, seat or FAs on SAS, but the comparing it to AA/UA first doesn't really add anything. Suggesting to take a private jet (not your post, but stated earlier) is just as helpful
Old Dec 9, 15, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Originally Posted by livious View Post
No, but what does it have to do with a C class review of SAS? I see no problem discussing the food, seat or FAs on SAS, but the comparing it to AA/UA first doesn't really add anything. Suggesting to take a private jet (not your post, but stated earlier) is just as helpful
In terms of food, it is not an unfair comparison, and SK would not come out as the obvious looser. It is a sad state of affairs at AA and especially UA. I would to be honest always benchmark the first class cabins of AA and UA against business class on non US based airlines in all aspects but the seat.
Old Dec 10, 15, 1:56 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles Diamond, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by Springbok Viking View Post
I suppose food preferences are somewhat a matter of subjective opinion and culture.
Absolutely true.

Virtually every hotel in the western world serves a continental breakfast as it pleases just about any guest and there is something to eat and drink for everyone.

Selling a product to a widespread international audience requires to extend your offering beyond Scandinavian cuisine. Cold dry fish, black bread, salad as a meal etc are not accessible or acceptable to most international customers.

It is very easy to slightly improve the offering to ensure there is something for everyone to enjoy. I'm raising the issue because I don't have this problem on any other airline. Including Nordic airlines such as AY (who's Nordic food such as the reindeer is in fact really good).

Personally, I find the C class catering catering concept introduced this year to be excellent both in terms of quality, appearance and taste. Also, getting rid of the plastic wrappings on the dishes is a big plus. Compared to long haul C on BA and LH, my experiences of the catering on SK, especially out of CPH, are far superior. Perhaps SK is catering more to the Scandinavian taste, e.g. more fish, dark bread and dairy products?
BA serves beef on just about any flight. It pleases just about everyone that is not a vegetarian. I never have challenges accessing the food on BA or LH.

In the way SK caters a nice Asian dish in that direction, they just need to improve on US bound flights. Portion size is another concern, SK meals leave me hungry and I don't want to supplement the small meal with candy and cookies from the galley. Another issue I rarely have on other carriers.
Old Dec 10, 15, 7:35 am

Programs: Ba gold, gha black
I just came back having taken a trip in C on the old class biz and the new biz product.

Old Biz - This has to be one of the worst product offerings for a seat/entertainment system going on any modern western airline.. Completely awful, and clostrophobic with the next person looking over your shoulder like in economy.
new Biz - Have to give credit to SAS, i loved it, a great seat with a lot of room, tastefully designed and with a good TV screen. Easily above British Airways as a biz comparison.

As for the food, yes its gimmicky with the chef outfit, but again the quality of the food and side salad is top notch, again far above what you get with British Airways.

My only real complaint... The quality of the wines are an absolute disgrace. Serving Italian reds from 2014 in a screw cap, just aren't going to cut it for me, theres no need to be serving Netto wines to business class passengers.

But in general, if you get the new J class, you are in for a nice experience.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: