Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS Go Light [FAQ & Discussions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS Go Light [FAQ & Discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2017, 5:20 am
formerly kiwi_norway

Programs: A3*G, NZ*S, Avis PC
Flight report... I took the return trip LHR-OSL on a Go Light fare, and at neither check-in desk was the free bag questioned. I got a checked-bag in both directions for free.

Still horribly confused as to why two different CS agents on the phone not only told me that *G no longer got a free bag, but read the exact wording to me from an internal memo. Either they were wrong, or it is a new policy that's being rolled out in a relaxed fashion.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Where are these "rules" posted?
Just see at http://www.staralliance.com/en/gold-status the benefits. It says extra baggage allowance. But some *A airlines say that you can only have an extra baggage allowance if your ticket has baggage allowance included. But no *A airline has a reason to complain about it since they can always adjust now to the new interpretation of the extra allowance to get more ancillary revenues​​​​​​.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 5:54 am

Programs: A3*G
Flew 2 segments (AMS-OSL, OSL-LHR) under GoLight on 9th of June. As *G Ι was entitled and had one free checked baggage. The free baggage was visible after online check in. You can safely blame a rogue agent for this misunderstanding.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by Tango Alpha
I booked a SK Light ticket yesterday intra Europe. Booking says 2x23 kg.
That is actually a really nice feature of the new website. I made a booking without a FFP number in Light and it said 0 bags included. After adding the traveler's EBS number the allowance instantly jumped to 1. On the old site it shows always the original allowance.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 12:12 am

Programs: United 1K, National Executive Elite, Avis Presidents Club, Marriott Platinum Elite
Change in rules

*note: I just called SAS about this and was told the rules have changed and *A Gold now only gets an extra bag if one is included in your itinerary (so Go Light with 0 will NOT include a free bag). I will try to confirm at the airport tomorrow but she said the policy just recently changed.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by IlanDC
*note: I just called SAS about this and was told the rules have changed and *A Gold now only gets an extra bag if one is included in your itinerary (so Go Light with 0 will NOT include a free bag). I will try to confirm at the airport tomorrow but she said the policy just recently changed.
I just flew Go Light a week ago on SAS and it included a free bag. I have another flight next week and can reconfirm as well.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 3:52 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
I just flew SAS go light youth yesterday and had the normal 1 bag allowance. The SAS website even states *G allowance is 1 bag over normal allowance on all ticket types. I really hope SAS doesn't turn into the LH group on this.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 1:41 pm

Programs: SK-EBD/*A Gold, BA Gold/OW Emerald, HH Gold, ChoiceHotels Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Plat,
Originally Posted by fassy
You can still check a bag but they will charge for it. No need to change the booking class. If you have Star Alliance Gold status the first bag is free even on the GO light tickets.
You get one free as SAS EuroBonus Silver (same as *A Gold), as SAS EuroBonus Gold you get two extra.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: SK-EBD/*A Gold, BA Gold/OW Emerald, HH Gold, ChoiceHotels Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Plat,
Info from the StarAlliance webside:

"Extra Baggage Allowance: You can take an extra 20 kg (44 pounds) where the weight concept applies or an extra piece where the piece concept applies.

Some airlines do not offer this benefit on individual flights but only on connecting Star Alliance flights. Within Europe on "Light" fares offered by Lufthansa, Austrian & SWISS and "Check&Go" fares offered by Brussels Airlines, the extra baggage allowance is not offered."
(http://www.staralliance.com/en/gold-status)

Here it is clear that the exception to the main rule (*A Gold > One free [extra] bag checked) is only for the Lufthansa-companies. With SAS there is no problem checking one free piece with a Go-Light ticket.

Last edited by travellers4fun; Jul 7, 2017 at 1:51 pm Reason: Added info/web address
Old Jul 7, 2017, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by travellers4fun
Info from the StarAlliance webside:

"Extra Baggage Allowance: You can take an extra 20 kg (44 pounds) where the weight concept applies or an extra piece where the piece concept applies.

Some airlines do not offer this benefit on individual flights but only on connecting Star Alliance flights. Within Europe on "Light" fares offered by Lufthansa, Austrian & SWISS and "Check&Go" fares offered by Brussels Airlines, the extra baggage allowance is not offered."
(http://www.staralliance.com/en/gold-status)

Here it is clear that the exception to the main rule (*A Gold > One free [extra] bag checked) is only for the Lufthansa-companies. With SAS there is no problem checking one free piece with a Go-Light ticket.
Actually also NZ charges if you have a seat only ticket.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
My 2nd flight also included the free bag. Nothing has changed. Only difference I saw was first flight included fast track and second did not. Not sure why the difference.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
My 2nd flight also included the free bag. Nothing has changed. Only difference I saw was first flight included fast track and second did not. Not sure why the difference.
I would guess the difference of fast track depends on the applicability of the departure airport. Not all airports offer this with SK. What were the two airports in question?
Old Jul 7, 2017, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I would guess the difference of fast track depends on the applicability of the departure airport. Not all airports offer this with SK. What were the two airports in question?
Both airports had fast track lanes. So not sure why *G with *A wouldn't give me access at both. Got it at OSL and didn't at TRD
Old Jul 7, 2017, 6:04 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Both airports had fast track lanes. So not sure why *G with *A wouldn't give me access at both. Got it at OSL and didn't at TRD
SAS fast track isn't available to all *G, only EuroBonus elites. If the airport in question has a separate fast track, you might get access (ex. I got access to CPH fast track last week)
Old Jul 8, 2017, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by zeer0
SAS fast track isn't available to all *G, only EuroBonus elites. If the airport in question has a separate fast track, you might get access (ex. I got access to CPH fast track last week)
Interesting. But it was available in Oslo. Why give it to me there then? And if it wasn't for fast track I would've missed my flight in oslo. regular lines were outrageous and SAS made us pickup our luggage and re-check for the connecting flight from Sweden. Due to this had ran onto plane as they closed the door. Most ridiculous thing ever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.