Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Courtesy Upgrades for EuroBonus Diamond & Pandion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Courtesy Upgrades for EuroBonus Diamond & Pandion

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2018, 7:57 am

Yesterday I got a courtesy upgrade from CPH-ORD. It was from Go to Business! Normally as others have noted it is from Go to Plus. The major caveat after I looked at the seat map: LN-RKP!! Well, it was still appreciated... and the aisle seat was blocked. No complaints from me...
Old May 18, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by SkOrdBgo
Yesterday I got a courtesy upgrade from CPH-ORD. It was from Go to Business! Normally as others have noted it is from Go to Plus. The major caveat after I looked at the seat map: LN-RKP!! Well, it was still appreciated... and the aisle seat was blocked. No complaints from me...
​​​​​​

Well thats a win I would say! 👍👍 And how early did this blessing occur!? 😁

I have come close but never actually stepped foot onLN-RKP 😂
Old May 18, 2018, 3:34 pm

I've had the luxury of LN-RKP four times in the last 2 years. The email arrived at 16:06 the day before. So about 23.5 hrs prior to departure.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
Got my first CU Go => Plus on EWR-OSL today for me+1. Got an email 12h before departure.
But Business was also completely full, I checked. A lot of space in Plus.
Fingers crossed for two SK flights in December for which I'm already booked into Plus.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 2:28 pm

Programs: Flying Blue: Platinum for Life Elite Plus - EuroBonus: Gold
Hi,
I was just wondering if this courtesy upgrade was still a thing?

SB
Old Mar 9, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by strikerbird
Hi,
I was just wondering if this courtesy upgrade was still a thing?

SB
Some have luck with it some dont. For me I have had ONE comp upg in 3 years as EBD, it was the reason I went with EBD status, and with such a poor value I wont be renewing EBD!

Very little bang for the buck over EBG or even *A Gold
Old Mar 10, 2019, 4:17 am

Programs: Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum, Eurobonus Diamond
Just a little experience from me in regards to courtesy upgrade. I have had 4 courtesy upgrades from plus to biz last qualifying period. I only fly plus and these upgrades have gone through twice with just me but also twice with friends in the same booking. I am really happy with this perk and makes EBD worth it for me at least.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Happy for you but on the other hand reinforces what I said dozens of times before... the total lack of transparency and reasoning why some people enjoy the benefit quite often while other are left out all the time makes this benefit an insult rather than a benefit form those who come out short.

why not just issue a few upgrade coupons? Like 4 one class upgrades on SAS longhaul? That would be fair and transparent.

by the way, I enjoyed some courtesy upgrades but e.g. never when traveling with my partner or in a group. And not a single one in the last two years. While space WAS available.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 12:48 pm

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond
To my experience it really depends when you fly. In the holiday periods (Christmas, Easter, summer, Chinese National holidays) it is often much easier to get a complimentary upgrade (as economy is very full) than in the regular travel times. I am very happy with my EBD treatment especially on European flights it seems that the soft seat block works very well for me. On the upgrade side, I am happy if I get a free upgrade (and a got a few during the last years) but I don't expect it. I value at least equally as much preferred treatment when things go wrong. SAS several times really saved my schedule there while I had horrible experience on Norwegian or other low-cost carriers.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

True, soft blocking on short haul seems to work quite well and the free drink benefit is nice. Also I can’t complain about the irops handling, that’s where SK really works well and status seems to help.

Also true is that in general you shouldn expect an upgrade and expect to travel in the class of service booked. BUT if an airline advertises a benefit which says „courtesy upgrade for our Diamond members on every second flight of space is available“, the I expect them to honor that. Which they clearly do not as I was on lots of flights with available space and didn’t get the upgrades.

Last edited by fassy; Mar 11, 2019 at 2:13 am
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:25 pm

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond
I have never heard the statement that SAS would upgrade Diamond members on every second flight if space were available... is there a link to an advertisement or a footnote on the website which says so?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:02 am

Programs: SK*G (EBD), AY Silver
Just joining in here on personal experience. I am only EBS and early January I had a flight IAD-CPH booked in O class. I got a courtesy upgrade to Y which is in PLUS. I then realised when we boarded that it was the infamous LN-RKP, which only has a personal IFE in plus in the form of an iPad, which they didnt have charging cables for. Which meant that aproximately 75% of the iPads didnt have enough power to hold for no more than a couple of hours.
Luckily I didnt care since i had been on a redeye earlier from LAS, so I was just happy to get some better sleep, in the slightly better seat
I think that since it was LN-RKP they do their best to give everyone with the slightest status a courtesy upgrade. I only have around 30 flights a year on SK metal, and most in GO, with just a few in PLUS.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Diamond, HHonors Diamond
I received an email yesterday that I have a CU from Go to Plus today SFO-CPH.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:18 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by fassy
True, soft blocking on short haul seems to work quite well...
Suprised to hear this. It doesn't work for me at all, just last friday in an half empty plus cabin, there was someone in the middle seat. From his look at the middle seat, I'm guessing he didn't even specifically choose the seat himself. He moved, but this has been my experience multiple times.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Well, probably as always with SK: consistent inconsistent!
SK2751 and studentCPH like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.