Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New SAS long haul routes?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2016, 8:19 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by SocialAdept
Being unable to operate it profitably was directly linked to the market not being there at the time. Having a route out of "self-respect" sounds like a supremely bad financial reason. Hindsight is 20/20 and now we see the route is profitable again but it undoubtedly would not been in the years following the Lehman crash.
While I don't know why the SK route wasn't profitable back in '94, that is 20+ years ago. There has been so much demand for US west-coast travel from Scandinavia and the rest of Europe at least since the hights of the dotcom bubble and ever since which was only 3 years after SK stopped flying the route.

The SFO route was well over due and has been very profitable since day one which appeared to come as a surprise to SK. Not so much to folks traveling the route frequently transferring with half the ARN-ORD flight onto ORD-SFO connections years before the route opened.

Hindsight is of course 20/20 but simply looking at the shear number of flights between Europe and those destinations with Scandinavia being very active in the relevant industries, it should have been very obvious that these routes would be a succes. I always found it questionable why (and I know the reason) SK was operating CPH-SEA in the late 2000's but not a flight to SFO despite a LOT of people asking for it.
Old May 30, 2017, 6:31 am

Programs: SK-EBD
Air India will be flying DEL-CPH starting September 2017. 3 weekly. Confirmed by Danish government, which seems very proud of this.

My Air India experience is old (and not good), but could give interesting new *A possibilities from Scandinavia to the Indian subcontinent. Now news of schedule.
Old May 30, 2017, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by Tango Alpha
My Air India experience is old (and not good), but could give interesting new *A possibilities from Scandinavia to the Indian subcontinent. Now news of schedule.
Had a couple of Air India flights last two years. Regional flights were horrible (even in J), the long-haul was fine although the extra smelly food and abundance of bare feet in desperate need of a decent pedicure on the bulkhead made me switch back to LH/LX.
Old May 30, 2017, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Air India will be flying DEL-CPH starting September 2017. 3 weekly. Confirmed by Danish government, which seems very proud of this.

Any new route is good news - might give more competition on connection to Asia with AI.
Old May 30, 2017, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I believe I read somewhere last week (or 2 weeks ago) that AI choose ARN rather than CPH for the DEL flight (i.e. CPH lost again to ARN in the battle to attract new routes). This decision has been revoked (or it was never confirmed) or AI is going for both ARN and CPH?
Old May 30, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: SK Eurobonus
Originally Posted by SK AAR
This decision has been revoked (or it was never confirmed) or AI is going for both ARN and CPH?
This is a bit OT but yes, AI will fly to both ARN and CPH 3/weekly.

DEL-CPH, Tu, Th, Sa:
https://www.cph.dk/en/about-cph/pres...nd-copenhagen/

DEL-ARN, We, Fr, Su:
https://www.swedavia.com/arlanda/new...ith-air-india/
Old Jun 1, 2017, 3:42 pm

Bringing the thread back on track – after I derailed it with AI.

It seems that we can look forward to new IC routes, when the A350s begins to arrive in around two and a half year.

Eivind Roald says that they are looking at new routes, which he could announce in a bit more than a year, around one year ahead of their inaugurations.

Though the A340s was intended to be retired, when the A350s arrives, it is under consideration to keep (some of) them.

That capacity could partly be used to start leisure-oriented routes. He mentioned Cancun as an example (but nothing more than a pure example, I presume).

And in that regard the substandard LN-RKP would be ok, as I understood Mr. Roald’s reasoning.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 4:01 am

He mentioned Cancun as an example (but nothing more than a pure example, I presume)..
Heavy sigh. I hope they have better candidates.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
CUN really? It sounds like its time to retire the artificially blonde leader.

SAS needs DFW/IAH or SEA/YVR from any Nordic hub. Expanding the long haul network with infrequent service to leisure destinations with no connection options isn't productive.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
I would suggest BOM as a worthwhile route - but slots may be difficult to obtain...
Old Sep 25, 2017, 1:40 am

Now Austin!

A bit strange - somewhat like the NRT-KRN route - SAS will be operating 2 rotations Stockholm-Austin.

All in conjunction with the South By Southwest-festival. 8th and 12th of March.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: SK Diamond (*G), HH Gold
A bit strange - somewhat like the NRT-KRN route - SAS will be operating 2 rotations Stockholm-Austin.

I doubt SAS will sell many seats on the first inbound/last outbound flight(unless the respected citizens of Austin decides to do a low season March vacation in Scandinavia). This must be reflected in the ticket price. Otherwise it does not make much sense for such a limited number of rotations.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by BHIL
I doubt SAS will sell many seats on the first inbound/last outbound flight(unless the respected citizens of Austin decides to do a low season March vacation in Scandinavia).
My thought as well!

This must be reflected in the ticket price. Otherwise it does not make much sense for such a limited number of rotations.
No, not dirt cheap at all 8.200 DKK return AUS-ARN-AUS in economy and 23.000 DKK in Plus!
Old Sep 25, 2017, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
My thought as well!

No, not dirt cheap at all 8.200 DKK return AUS-ARN-AUS in economy and 23.000 DKK in Plus!
Did you price it in USD via the US site? From Japan I often find the prices beneficial when priced out in yen. Not much mostly, but there are periods with a lot better pricing. This could be a case as well.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 1:45 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G

This is a bit like when I as a kid discovered, by reading/day-dreaming through the SK printed timetable, that SK actually had scheduled flights to Leipzig in GDR, but only during the few weeks of the year when the trade fair was on. Probably not much traffic originating in Leipzig either!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.