New SAS long haul routes?

Old Aug 20, 2015, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
If you only travel with cabin luggage, MIA is fairly ok. I haven't traveled with checked in luggage for many years so I might find it hard to relate to such complaints.

I personally find IAD a terrible airport to enter the US.
Most of my trips are 2-3 weeks duration, so I don't even try to manage with a carry on.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 4:20 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
If you only travel with cabin luggage, MIA is fairly ok. I haven't traveled with checked in luggage for many years so I might find it hard to relate to such complaints.

I personally find IAD a terrible airport to enter the US.
I most frequently travel with nothing more than cabin baggage, and yet my worst (as in slowest) re-entries at a US airport of entry in the past five years have been repeatedly at MIA, BOS and IAD when I've been without cabin baggage. And I say that as a US citizen with Global Entry.

That said, except for BOS, the processing times for me at MIA and IAD have improved.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by nacho
Extreme turnaround - wonder how clean the plane is going to be
I would be more concerned about delays. But they did he same in HKG. I guess in the end time will tell but that aggressive turn-arounds will probably prove to be difficult and after failing to often in regards to timely departures people will stay away from booking the flight and the shiny new route goes down the drain.

Anyway, let's see
Old Aug 20, 2015, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
IAD made us freak out about first port of entry. It was about 11 years ago, we did CPH-IAD-MCO. Queued at IAD immigration for 3 hours, missed our MCO flight. Rebooked on a later fight after struggling to get our bags and re-check them. We finally boarded the plane and after 30 minutes we all had to deplane due to tornado at IAD and we were told to stay away from the glass windows.

After a long time, the tornado was gone and unfortunately the crew has passed their duty hours so they need to find a crew to get us to MCO.

We were supposed to arrive at 5pm but ended up arrive at 5am and found out that our lock for the luggage was broken and there is a TSA slip in it. My friend told me that TSA cut his duffle bag open and it's not usable anymore.

So our conclusion was: avoid first port of entry where possible, and suitcases with built in TSA lock.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 4:47 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by fassy
I would be more concerned about delays. But they did he same in HKG. I guess in the end time will tell but that aggressive turn-arounds will probably prove to be difficult and after failing to often in regards to timely departures people will stay away from booking the flight and the shiny new route goes down the drain.

Anyway, let's see
90 mins is the minimum turnaround you can do on a longhaul at an outstation... 60 min is plain harakiri.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 7:24 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by GUWonder
That said, except for BOS, the processing times for me at MIA and IAD have improved.
Since BOS has the ESTA machines it is really quick. I arrived on BA203 a few weeks ago and spend less than 5 minutes in immigration.

I guess IAD is terrible because of the large number of flights arriving together with SK925 shortly after a flight from South America.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 8:29 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Extreme turnaround - wonder how clean the plane is going to be
Turnaround is 2 hours. Remember SAS is launching LAX during the two weeks between NA DST and EU DST switch dates.

<25MAR: 0950-1315 / 1515-1010+1
=26MAR: 0950-1315 / 1515-1110+1
>27MAR: 0950-1215 / 1415-1000+1

Last edited by HkCaGu; Aug 20, 2015 at 8:30 am Reason: +1
Old Aug 20, 2015, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Turnaround is 2 hours. Remember SAS is launching LAX during the two weeks between NA DST and EU DST switch dates.

<25MAR: 0950-1315 / 1515-1010+1
=26MAR: 0950-1315 / 1515-1110+1
>27MAR: 0950-1215 / 1415-1000+1
^ good catch, thanks!
Old Aug 20, 2015, 8:56 am
Suspended

Since BOS has the ESTA machines it is really quick. I arrived on BA203 a few weeks ago and spend less than 5 minutes in immigration.

I guess IAD is terrible because of the large number of flights arriving together with SK925 shortly after a flight from South America.
Even with APC machines which you and I can use, BOS has still been a mess for some of my arrivals into the U.S. there in the evening this year. And even as I can use my choice of the APC kiosks or the GE kiosks, I've still had messy arrivals at BOS. Even when I can use my choice of any of those kiosks or the diplomat line, BOS international arrivals has still been a veritable mess way too often for me last year and this year. I don't want to even count the number of times I've been stuck in the corridors at BOS because of the huge mess there.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-shambles.html
Old Aug 20, 2015, 9:18 am

Programs: SK-EBD
While I am happy with an extended SAS-network, I dont like the schedules.

Why these early departures?

For a landing at 7 am on an eastbound flight I need to wake up before midnight at the time zone, I have left. I hate that. And it is a very loooong time, until you are allowed to go to bed. Going directly to work I will do only in emergencies.

ARN-LAX is a loose-loose.

One thing is to depart CPH at 7.20 (in my case), but the arrival day on destination is lost anyhow.

Worse is the return. Departure day is useless. You can do nothing but have late breakfast and then depart for airport at 11 am.

And the next day in Scandinavia is close to useless as well (OK, at least not arriving a 7 am....). Only if you have office close to ARN, you can do something meaningful except move your lawn. Domestic Sweden or OSL/CPH you will be home after 2 pm.

A departure around 6 pm (as LH/BA) means you can do something in California on the day of departure.

At least I understand the fleet utilizations behind (I think). As ARN-LAX is a full 24 rotation, it is probably connected to ARN-EWR.

But for the MIA-flights there seems to be no good reasons, maybe except connections. The rotation can be done by one A/C (although it will be CPH-MIA-OSL-MIA-CPH).

Anyway, if I need/want to go to Los Angeles, I will choose SK, despite the schedule
Old Aug 20, 2015, 10:16 am
Suspended

The LAX schedule seems meant for people who want to nap on arrival (or in the late afternoon/earl evening) and hit the late LA dinner and nightlife scene on arrival night and on the night before departure.

Sort of more seriously, it's hard to have a better schedule for ARN-LAX/LAX-ARN if wanting to have some decent feed to/from both ends of the route. The distance and time zone differences are such that it's a balancing act unless wanting to really negatively impact fleet utilization.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 20, 2015 at 10:24 am
Old Aug 20, 2015, 1:32 pm

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
Originally Posted by Tango Alpha

A departure around 6 pm (as LH/BA) means you can do something in California on the day of departure.
I think you may have hit something here. As SAS usually doesn't stand out on price, and absolutely doesn't stand out on service, it has to do something else to catch people. Differing in schedule from the competition is the logical choice.

Doesn't mean that I like the schedule, though, as it means that I'd have to get out of bed at 4 in the morning to make the first flight to ARN in order to make the LAX flight. As the time difference is about 8 hours, the day gets veeeeery loooooong... which also will have consequences for the day afterwards, by the way...
Old Aug 20, 2015, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Sort of more seriously, it's hard to have a better schedule for ARN-LAX/LAX-ARN if wanting to have some decent feed to/from both ends of the route. The distance and time zone differences are such that it's a balancing act unless wanting to really negatively impact fleet utilization.
Do nto agree - the LAX flight is primarily for the ARN crowd, secondarily for the Nordics. The rest of the world can not make the flight.I would have to agree that it is bloddy early to get up. Like with HKG flight I am likely not a customer on this flight - except if they come up with some nice EB offers in December
Old Aug 20, 2015, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
+1 I don't gain anything by taking the SK flight vs. any other airline. I have done LX, LH, AF, TK, SK+UA, DL. The earliest is LH - departing at 6am, which is damn hard, especially when you are travelling with kids and they don't sleep during the flight.

I do like the late departure ex-LAX (such as TK and LX, or LH via MUC) because as Tango Alpha said that you could use that day in LA before heading to LAX. Flying at 14:00 means you get up and it's almost time to go to the airport = a whole day wasted.

Maybe the flight is design for people who need to fly into ARN to have meetings at the airport. Mr. Nacho has done that several times - all the Nordic departments meet at ARN instead of the HQ in DT Stockholm.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 5:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by OFFlyer
Do nto agree - the LAX flight is primarily for the ARN crowd, secondarily for the Nordics. The rest of the world can not make the flight.I would have to agree that it is bloddy early to get up. Like with HKG flight I am likely not a customer on this flight - except if they come up with some nice EB offers in December
Come on. The flight from EBL (in West Asia) gets in early enough to make the announced LAX-ARN route.

.... even if passport control takes five minutes per arriving passenger from that flight.

+1 I don't gain anything by taking the SK flight vs. any other airline. I have done LX, LH, AF, TK, SK+UA, DL. The earliest is LH - departing at 6am, which is damn hard, especially when you are travelling with kids and they don't sleep during the flight.

I do like the late departure ex-LAX (such as TK and LX, or LH via MUC) because as Tango Alpha said that you could use that day in LA before heading to LAX. Flying at 14:00 means you get up and it's almost time to go to the airport = a whole day wasted.

Maybe the flight is design for people who need to fly into ARN to have meetings at the airport. Mr. Nacho has done that several times - all the Nordic departments meet at ARN instead of the HQ in DT Stockholm.
The flight is designed for leisure trips to California and non-self-loading cargo.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.