Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Special meals in plus intra-Europe?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2015, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

According to sas.se/allt-om-resan/ovrigt/specialmaltider/ special meals can be pre-ordered (for free?) in plus on flights longer than 90 minutes, listing 16 different meals. Does this mean that one can order a fish meal and get that instead of the stuff usually offered, like wraps or sandwhiches? Has anyone tried this lately intra-Europe like ARN-FRA or ARN-BCN?
Old Jun 15, 2015, 6:35 pm

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
Yes, I've ordered seafood meals (including an ex-ARN flight) on intra-Europe Plus. They were... edible (except for a bug in salad) but atrocious. I don't know if regular food options are any better, but I would've been happier if I ate at the lounge and skipped the fresh "food" onboard. Fortunately, packaged snacks are also free in Plus, so I didn't starve.

Granted, this was from last year and a sampling of just a few flights, so YMMV.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 12:57 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Yes this works, I've used it a few times but unlike everything else SK does inconsistently they do a very consistent job in making sure the "Special meals" are also awful and in-edible. It is not a valid strategy against the disgusting and humanity depriving salads.

The seafood and low-fat meals where the least terrible.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 4:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
The seafood and low-fat meals where the least terrible.
Thanks for the replies. Just for fun I'll try the fish meal.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Today I flew SK2848 FAO-ARN and got my pre-ordered special meal (seafood). I have to say it was quite excellent! I got a three course cold meal. Three different kind of cheese. Fried shrimps (big ones), smoked salmon and sallad. Some chocolate cake as dessert. The guy sitting next to me asked the cabin crew for the same meal as I got, ha ha. The best meal I have ever had in SAS Plus intra-Europe.

A good flight otherwise as well. 7 rows of Plus - all full (Go was full too). The crew came around several times asking if somebody wanted anything more. While serving coffee they "volountary" offered cognac, whisky etc. The infamous three-drink policy was not applied at all.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 11:17 am

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
Good for you! Either you got lucky, or perhaps they've improved catering. Of course, the latter would be better. Although, it could be just an ex-FAO thing too.

Regardless, it sounds like you had a good, proactive crew. ^
Old Jul 19, 2015, 3:31 pm

Programs: SK-EBD/*A Gold, BA Gold/OW Emerald, HH Gold, ChoiceHotels Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Plat,
We fly SK about every month, and as I have celiac disease I order the Gluten Free meal. It is always one course, and usually slices of ham or turkey over a completely dry salad. No sign of any kind of dressing for the salad, it really is usually quite a sad sight. I've taken to bringing along little packages (you know the kind you get in your work canteen) of dressing, it makes it a little less sad.

The funny thing is that my husband's meal usually is without gluten containing ingredients. I wouldn't gamble, of course, as suddenly there will be a pasta salad or something. But I find it strange that airlines do not comply with the EU regulation that now requires restauranrs to list the allergens in the food they're serving. It would really make everything so much simpler. And if a restaurant with a huge meny can do it, then surely an airline with a choice of two or three courses should be able to.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 8:50 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I've ordered a CHML for our kids for next week on MUC-CPH. Very curious what will come out.

The FAO 'experience' must stem from the fact that SK probably ordered the SPML to be catered from FAO itself

Re: Allergens on the meal: LH lists all of them on the sandwiches and snacks they hand out, the warm regional meals in Y have a listing too. AY has a full list of everything. Sadly any special meal ends up being the lowest common denominator. And look like this:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-y...821_170203.jpg

Old Jul 20, 2015, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
I've ordered a CHML for our kids for next week on MUC-CPH. Very curious what will come out.

The FAO 'experience' must stem from the fact that SK probably ordered the SPML to be catered from FAO itself
The SPML was indeed catered from FAO and not brought in with the incoming flight from ARN. We actually ordered child meal as well for our two kids. It was fried chicken with coloured pasta and some cherry tomatoes, sliced fresh fruit and a Snickers bar. I thought it'd looked alright but the kids had hoped for pancakes with jam :-)
Old Jul 20, 2015, 11:47 am
TrG

Originally Posted by travellers4fun
The funny thing is that my husband's meal usually is without gluten containing ingredients. I wouldn't gamble, of course, as suddenly there will be a pasta salad or something. But I find it strange that airlines do not comply with the EU regulation that now requires restauranrs to list the allergens in the food they're serving. It would really make everything so much simpler. And if a restaurant with a huge meny can do it, then surely an airline with a choice of two or three courses should be able to.
In my experience the declaration of allergenes in SAS-meals is very good. It is however not always intuitive to find. In some cases it's hidden "inside" a sticker in the package. The gluten-free meal my significant other gets is however usually a very sad story. The dry salad you mention sounds very familiar.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by SK989
Thanks for the replies. Just for fun I'll try the fish meal.
How did that go? Have you tried it yet?
Old Jul 22, 2015, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lgts
How did that go? Have you tried it yet?
Yes, see post #5 above.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 4:08 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by SK989
The SPML was indeed catered from FAO and not brought in with the incoming flight from ARN. We actually ordered child meal as well for our two kids. It was fried chicken with coloured pasta and some cherry tomatoes, sliced fresh fruit and a Snickers bar. I thought it'd looked alright but the kids had hoped for pancakes with jam :-)
This was the meal we got, it was loaded from CPH:

https://goo.gl/photos/rW7Qypva67VRgAeZA

Cold chicken with potato salad and carrot sticks. No allergens listed. So my older son had the meal I got as 'plus' pax: https://goo.gl/photos/cBfx1Q4heXt1ybnr6

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.