Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Unaccompanied minor not allowed to buy cheapest fare?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2015, 3:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL

Trying to buy a one way ticket OSL-LHR for an unaccompanied minor, the agent prices it up about 300 NOK higher than the cheapest adult Sas GO ticket available at SAS.no (about 750 + 350 UM fare = about 1100 NOK total, rather than the 449 + 350 = 799 NOK I was expecting).

I couldn't get a proper explanation for the price difference, only that the price he was offering was the cheapest ticket that could be purchased for an unaccompanied minor.

Is this normal? Or is my expected total correct - ie. I should expect a different result when I try again with a different agent?
Old Apr 14, 2015, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by JonV
Trying to buy a one way ticket OSL-LHR for an unaccompanied minor, the agent prices it up about 300 NOK higher than the cheapest adult Sas GO ticket available at SAS.no (about 750 + 350 UM fare = about 1100 NOK total, rather than the 449 + 350 = 799 NOK I was expecting).

I couldn't get a proper explanation for the price difference, only that the price he was offering was the cheapest ticket that could be purchased for an unaccompanied minor.

Is this normal? Or is my expected total correct - ie. I should expect a different result when I try again with a different agent?
The difference is probably the fee for booking via the phone. Even if it is not possible to book online they still charge the full phone booking fee. They have to as they do not give any commission to travel agents, so they can't undercut the TA market.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 1:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The difference is probably the fee for booking via the phone. Even if it is not possible to book online they still charge the full phone booking fee. They have to as they do not give any commission to travel agents, so they can't undercut the TA market.
I don't think so - I had the guy break down the price he was quoting, and the fare component itself was making up the difference. According to him.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by JonV
I don't think so - I had the guy break down the price he was quoting, and the fare component itself was making up the difference. According to him.
Of course I do not know for sure, but the 300 NOK change has an uncanny similarity to the service fee for booking via the phone.... :-)

http://www.sas.no/alt-om-reisen/reis...ervicehonorar/
Old Apr 15, 2015, 6:14 am
THD

Programs: OZ Lifetime-DMPL*G, AF*G, SPG Plat, Hertz PC
Looking at the cheapest fare basis for one way OSL-LHR ONOOWM, unaccompanied minors 5-11 are allowed on this fare at 75pc of the base fare + surcharge of NOK 350.

The fare rules seem to allow it, at least.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 7:58 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
many airlines have web-only fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.