SAS Cabin Baggage

Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:54 pm

Programs: A3*G, SK*G
Originally Posted by skyplane
They will only do this when the flights are very busy and full. This to avoid lack of space in the overhead bins and to improve the ontime departures.
That's my impression as well. Note though that I ve never had my bag weighed --or for that matter observed anybody having their bag weighed-- during priority boarding (so either Plus pax or Go pax with *G) at LHR, even on full flights. But my luggage is always well within the size, and most of the times weight limit, I guess this helps as well. I suppose that if I showed up with a clearly oversize/overweight bag that could draw attention...
Old Dec 17, 2018, 2:36 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by East_and_West
That's my impression as well. Note though that I ve never had my bag weighed --or for that matter observed anybody having their bag weighed-- during priority boarding (so either Plus pax or Go pax with *G) at LHR, even on full flights. But my luggage is always well within the size, and most of the times weight limit, I guess this helps as well. I suppose that if I showed up with a clearly oversize/overweight bag that could draw attention...
I have had priority boarding with SAS when I’ve seen this happen to myself and others at LHR. My luggage has been well within the linear size limits when this hits me there and my baggage had been subject to a stink about being as little as 500 grams over the weight limit — all water at that. And my cabin baggage is often at that weight range due to consumables.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 3:17 am

Programs: A3*G, SK*G
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I have had priority boarding with SAS when I’ve seen this happen to myself and others at LHR. My luggage has been well within the linear size limits when this hits me there and my baggage had been subject to a stink about being as little as 500 grams over the weight limit — all water at that. And my cabin baggage is often at that weight range due to consumables.
Hmm, it seems then that *G/SAS Plus doesn’t safeguard you from this LHR terror
So it seems that I have been lucky so far, or that checks are not as regular for pax on the premium lane...

When it comes to consumables, my wife has had her bag forcibly checked-in when boarding SAS LHR-ARN for exceeding the limit by 300gr, after putting a bag with a spirit she bought from the airport on her handbag (but she has no status). Welcome to RyanAir...
Old Dec 17, 2018, 5:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by East_and_West

Hmm, it seems then that *G/SAS Plus doesn’t safeguard you from this LHR terror
So it seems that I have been lucky so far, or that checks are not as regular for pax on the premium lane...

When it comes to consumables, my wife has had her bag forcibly checked-in when boarding SAS LHR-ARN for exceeding the limit by 300gr, after putting a bag with a spirit she bought from the airport on her handbag (but she has no status). Welcome to RyanAir...
I just drank up the water or stuffed the bottles in my coat, and then it was “weight” on me instead of weight on the baggage scale after being flagged down by SK’s LHR gate agents. The perplexed looks of some of the agents’ faces has been amusing to me — as they can’t always figure out how I made the bag lose weight without handing them something to check-in and without making use of the disposal bins.
East_and_West likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: SK-EBD
Originally Posted by Explore SE Asia
Are they likely to check at O'hare? I will be traveling in Business class.
At least you are entitled to 2x8 kg.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 3:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tango Alpha
At least you are entitled to 2x8 kg.
Sure, but at ORD SAS sometimes does weigh each item to make sure each of the two is not more than 8kg. They do this at check-in at times.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
I've never seen that at ORD. At LHR these days its a common story, the flights always seem really full as well so its a natural development as long as airlines do not motivate people to check in luggage. Its interesting how quickly this problem got out of hand in Europe.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
I've never seen that at ORD. At LHR these days its a common story, the flights always seem really full as well so its a natural development as long as airlines do not motivate people to check in luggage. Its interesting how quickly this problem got out of hand in Europe.
Unbundled fares, people like to avoid paying for bringing a bag, but as they still need the content of the bag so they bring it to the cabin. That plus densification of the cabins
​​​​​​
SK2751 and lhrpete like this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 3:53 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
I would like to see the full service airlines do what Qantas has done and advertise their fares competing with the low costs and state that it includes a checked bag. They then police the hand luggage severely. It was a pure pleasure to fly with them recently as the aircraft were boarded quickly and there were no concerns about where the bags were going and all fitted very well.

Given that full service carriers have all the infrastructure in place for this they should play to their advantages.
SK2751 likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 3:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
I have seen it at ORD twice in as many weeks this month. Before and Into a good part of 2017, however, I had never seen SK at ORD weigh any cabin baggage for my flights. But 2018 has been a different story at ORD, inconsistent as it is.

For many years my SK ARN-CPH flights — even when full — used to have no problem with too much cabin baggage for the overhead bins. I can’t say that is true any more. And for some reason my SK ARN-CPH flights have a worse cabin baggage problem than my DY ARN-CPH flights.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 22, 2018 at 3:14 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.