Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overhead space on CRJ-900?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2022, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK EBD, Starwood/Marriott/RC, Hertz, Avis, AmXP, DC, etc.
Overhead space on CRJ-900?

My husband is flying CPH-NCE tomorrow morning on a CRJ-900, and we’re trying to figure out best way to pack. He’s in Go.
He’s a wheeled computer bag that is squat and fat-ish, or a regular wheeled carry-on. He prefers not to check anything.

Photos on Seat Guru make it look like the bins are normal size, but photos can be deceiving. He’s 187 tall, so needs the leg room under the seat for his legs, rather than his bag. Any suggestions which option will more likely fit in the overhead?
Old Jun 11, 2022, 12:15 pm

Programs: SJ, SAS, DL
The bins are not “normal” (Airbus) size - but they’re not absurdly small. I travel with a fully loaded Clas Ohlson 38 litre backpack (one compartment for clothes and one for business materials) and it fits. There will be the option to gate check larger bags, leaving them at the foot of the airplane steps and collecting them right there on arrival. (I.e. gate checked bags will be hand loaded and don’t get sent through the airport to baggage reclaim.)

https://www.clasohlson.com/se/Ryggs%.../p/Pr317183013
albie likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 3:05 pm

I use this one:
Amazon Amazon

It only fits in the CRJ9 overhead bins if not stuffed to the brim. It fits ok in the original dimensions (31 x 43 x 41 cm) but if you pack to much into it... it won't fit.

But as jamesbrownontheroad said, not a problem. They will gate check trolleys for delivery at the aircraft on the CRJ9 and the ATR flights. I usually prefer to go for the delivery at the aircraft option and not have the issue "will it fit, will it not as I packed the power-supply of my Macbook in the wrong spot?" on the CRJs.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 12:23 am

Programs: SK*G (EBD)
Originally Posted by fassy
I use this one: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

It only fits in the CRJ9 overhead bins if not stuffed to the brim. It fits ok in the original dimensions (31 x 43 x 41 cm) but if you pack to much into it... it won't fit.

But as jamesbrownontheroad said, not a problem. They will gate check trolleys for delivery at the aircraft on the CRJ9 and the ATR flights. I usually prefer to go for the delivery at the aircraft option and not have the issue "will it fit, will it not as I packed the power-supply of my Macbook in the wrong spot?" on the CRJs.
I have a bag that looks a lot like yours, but is probably a little fatter. No problem on last night's CRJ flight...

But I agree - if worried, pack fragile stuff in a computer bag, and let them gate check - as long as you don't have an extremely tight connection it is no problem to do that.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by JR67
I have a bag that looks a lot like yours, but is probably a little fatter. No problem on last night's CRJ flight...
With my bag, the problem is to get it into the bin. Once inside, all good. But the opening is a bit smaller than the bin height. So, if my bag is really stuffed to the max, I have to push it quite hard to overcome the „resistance“. Which I prefer not to and just choose delivery at the aircraft. Which is a great option unless you have to wait for your bag in pouring rain at 2 degrees and mean winds… which happened a few times over the years
Old Jun 13, 2022, 12:58 pm

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
I used to travel a lot with a wheeled computer suitcase and it would not fit if packed to the brim, but otherwise it would. With SK and CRJs you just drop the bag at the staircase of the flight ("valet luggage") and you pick it up on the apron on arrival. Just do that. Just take the laptop with you into the cabinn. Many people do.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by SK2751
Just take the laptop with you into the cabinn. Many people do.
Well, you HAVE TO take the laptop (or any battery operated device, batteries, etc) out of the bag and with you into the cabin
SK2751 likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 5:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK EBD, Starwood/Marriott/RC, Hertz, Avis, AmXP, DC, etc.
UPDATE from OP -- hubby packed in his rolling, expandable computer bag/suitcase (packed fairly full, although not expanded), and it went into the bin just fine. Hurrah!
Old Jun 14, 2022, 7:16 am

Programs: SJ, SAS, DL
Originally Posted by albie
UPDATE from OP -- hubby packed in his rolling, expandable computer bag/suitcase (packed fairly full, although not expanded), and it went into the bin just fine. Hurrah!
Good news. Once you’ve done it yourself it becomes easier to judge future packing attempts.
SK2751 likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 8:55 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
For me it was about taking the noise cancelling headset out. Then it always fit

Then the trolley died, and I moved to travelling with a backpack. Guess what ? It is still about removing the noise cancelling headset - then it fits
Buster CT1K likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2024, 2:01 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
I was a bit worried about my backpack but for future info: 48x30x30 cm fit well in the overhead bin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.