Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS & EuroBonus Introduction / Frequently Asked Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 10, 2015, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Nick Art
Introduction to SAS & Eurobonus / Frequently Asked Questions

Introduction

Scandinavian Airlines System (for short SAS, IATA code SK) is the flag carrier airline of Scandinavia. It's owned for 71% by private owners and 29% by the governments of Sweden (1/7th) and Denmark (1/7th). The government of Norway has recently sold its stake in SAS.

SAS mainly flies to destinations in Europe, particularly within Scandinavia, but also operates on a few long haul routes to Asia and the USA.

SAS is part of the StarAlliance network and has in addition codeshare operations with several airlines.

Fleet
The fleet of SAS consists of mainly short haul material, mainly A320neos, but also several variants of the Airbus A320 and Boeing 737 families, although the latter are diminishing in number.

Bombardier CRJ regional jets and ATR turboprops are operated for SAS by the Irish airline Cityjet and Estonian airline XFly. A small fleet of Embraer 195 are operated by subsidiary SAS Link out of Copenhagen.

A fleet of A320neo aircraft is close to being fully delivered to Irish-registered subsidiary SAS Connect (formerly SAS Ireland).

For long haul operations, SAS uses the Airbus A330-300 and A350-900.

An up to date overview of the SAS fleet can be found here.

Hubs and Focus Cities
SAS has three hubs:
Copenhagen (CPH),
Stockholm (ARN) and
Oslo Gardermoen (OSL).

In addition,
Bergen (BGO),
Stavanger (SVG),
Trondheim (TRD) and
Gřteborg Landvetter (GOT)
have been defined as focus cities.

Service classes

Instead of the traditional Economy Class, Economy Extra Class and Business Class, SAS has made up its own service class system.

Short haul
On all short haul, SAS serves the following classes
  • SAS Go is what should resemble regular economy. The following is included in SAS Go
    • 23 kg. luggage
    • on line check in and on site check in
    • Buy on board (coffee and tea are included in the ticket price)
    • seat selection (may come with additional costs)
  • SAS Plus is a hybrid form of economy extra and business class and includes the following features
    • seating in the front of the plane
    • no guaranteed free middle seat
    • choice of food and beverages from the on board menu is included
    • priority check in counter usage
    • fast track security where applicable
    • priority luggage labels on your hold luggage
    • higher point earnings
    • lounge access where available
    • priority boarding where applied

Experience teaches that Plus, with the exception of full flex tickets, is not considered as a business class fare by any of the airline partners of SAS. As a result, if someone books a flight in SAS plus with a partner airline, the chance is quite big to end up in regular economy. The same goes for re-routings on partner airlines. This also may affect lounge access on Plus tickets: not all partner airlines may allow Plus ticket holders in their lounges.

Frequent Flyer Program / EuroBonus
SAS has its own frequent flier program called EuroBonus. It has been around since 1992. EuroBonus offers frequent fliers the possibilities to earn points. These points can be used to obtain status and /or to save for award travel or products from the gift shop.

After subscribing to EuroBonus, the qualification period starts running. This is an period of 12 months from the month of subscription to the end of the 12th month thereafter. This cycle repeats itself every year.

For example, if someone subscribes in October, his or her qualification period runs from October to September the next year (both inclusive).

Membership levels
EuroBonus offers five levels in its program:
Qualifying segments can be earned on all flights flown by
  • SAS, with the exception of SAS flights with numbers ranging 3000 - 3999 and 6000 - 9999. More information can be found here
  • Widerře, with the exception of all flights within Norway that are carried out on PSO agreements. An overview of eligible routes can be found here.

For point earnings, please see below.

Point earnings
EuroBonus offers 2 kinds of points:
  • Basic points
    These are points that count towards membership levels.
  • Points for use (sometimes referred to as Extra points) These are the points that can be used for award travel and as a currency for buying products.

The validity of points varies and is based on the type of point and the membership level.
  • Basic points are valid during one qualification period.
  • Points for use (sometimes referred to as Extra points) are valid for 5 years for all memeber levels except Diamond and Pandion: those levels have no point validity. After losing Pandion or Diamond level benefits the counter for validity is reset to 5 years.

Basic points can be earned on all flights operated by
  • SAS. All flights, with the exception of flights with number 3000 - 3999 and 6000 - 9999
  • Widerře. All flights, with the exception of PSO routes. An overview of eligible routes can be found here
  • Atlantic Airways. Please note that no points are earned on flight numbers RC001-399 and RC1000-9999.
  • StarAlliance partners. Point earnings is possible on all StarAlliance partners. Please note that not all booking classes may be eligible on all carriers. A detailed overview of earnings per airline can be found here.*

* Please note that only 'points for use' can be earned on AirBaltic and Ethiad Airways and only on selected routes.

Booking class
Critical for the determination of how many points will be earned is the booking class in which a flight is booked. A booking class is represented by a single character and can vary per flight segment in your booking.

A regular SAS booking via the SAS website doesn't explicitly state the booking class in the reservation, although it is possible to see in which class the booking will be done:

Step 1:
Select a suitable flight or routing and the available fares will show up. For flights fully operated by SK the booking site will show the points earned on the lower right side for each fare (1). Note that for Eurobonus Status members, the bonus % earned on flights is included in these calculations.

Step 2:
Click the (i) icon on the top of the fare (2). A popup will show up showing the fare rules. The letter is the booking class (3). In the case of more than one flight, the booking class for each flight is displayed in chronological order.

To check the booking classes later on, review the Electronic Itinerary SAS sent via mail:

Or check the booking classes directly under my bookings on the SAS website:

Star Alliance Benefits (for elites in other *A programs flying on SK)

Star Alliance Silver Benefits
You'll get nothing and like it?

Star Alliance Gold Benefits
Priority check-in: Yes
Fast-track security pass: Yes (for everyone on same itinerary; excludes SK-operated fast-track security)
Extra baggage allowance: Yes (HBO fares might be excluded)
Preferred seats: Yes
Lounge access: Yes (for traveler and one guest; SAS-operated or Star Alliance-affiliated lounges only)
Priority baggage handling: Yes
Priority standby: Yes
Priority boarding: Yes (for everyone on the same itinerary)

Print Wikipost

SAS & EuroBonus Introduction / Frequently Asked Questions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by klmml
Well that has certainly changed because I have a plastic water jug (oh, the luxury!) that I got from the goodie bag a year ago, after I had relocated to FI.
I still got that "fancy" leathern baggage tag this year. I ignore that höpö-höpö reason and guess that they simply try to save money. Shipping to Finland is so expensive.

Originally Posted by kauppias
Thats alot of Pandions for a airline SK size I would have imagined far fewer outside scandinavia, the threshold must not be that high or is it a percentage of top grossing diamonds?
It is said to be in total 2000 EBP evenly split between DK, NO, SE and the rest of the world. But it is rumored that SK may cut the total number.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:00 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by Jainzar
I still got that "fancy" leathern baggage tag this year. I ignore that höpö-höpö reason and guess that they simply try to save money. Shipping to Finland is so expensive.

It is said to be in total 2000 EBP evenly split between DK, NO, SE and the rest of the world. But it is rumored that SK may cut the total number.
Inttesting no sweat off my back as I am not in that demographic as a leisure flyer anyways
Old Nov 4, 2017, 12:57 am

Programs: SAS EBG, IHG Spire Amb, CCG
You can give away one per qualification period. Be aware that at the moment you cannot give away a card in the first 3 months of your qualification period.

It is valid for the recipient's current qualification period plus the complete next qualification period. So the status will be valid for up to 24 months.

No "grace period" anymore for give away cards since May.
Be aware if you give a card to a recipient in their first qualification month in will only be valid for 12 month.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by chrisljo
Be aware if you give a card to a recipient in their first qualification month in will only be valid for 12 month.
At least when I did that in March it was 24 months.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 2:22 am

Programs: SAS EBG, IHG Spire Amb, CCG
At least when I did that in March it was 24 months.
Good to hear, maybe they fixed it. When I gave my wife a gold card in the first month of her qualifying year 2 years ago it was only valid for 12+3 months. I got nowhere with EB support. There have been more reports of this happening in Norwegian and Swedish forums, but I haven’t seen any lately.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 4:06 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Good to hear, maybe they fixed it. When I gave my wife a gold card in the first month of her qualifying year 2 years ago it was only valid for 12+3 months. I got nowhere with EB support. There have been more reports of this happening in Norwegian and Swedish forums, but I haven’t seen any lately.
I gave a silver card away in Oct before my account switched to EBD and the validity of the silver Card was 4/19.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 4:31 am

Your wife got 15 months validity so there is not much to complain about. As I wrote before the giveaway cards nowadays don't qualify for the 3 months "grace" period anymore. Likely it got "fixed" by that.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 1:16 am

Programs: SAS Diamond (*G), Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
How do I know when to include "EBx" pre-fix or just the number in my booking?
I'm concerned my flights won't be credited.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by vd0t
How do I know when to include "EBx" pre-fix or just the number in my booking?
I'm concerned my flights won't be credited.
For all Star Alliance airlines I always write the number as EBGxxxxxxxxx when making bookings myself. It has never caused any problems. When booking SK it is auto completed from my profile, so I pay no attention to how it is written.

Our corporate TA has the number with the EBG prefix, and that generally works for registering points correctly.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 4:54 am

Programs: SAS Diamond (*G), Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
For all Star Alliance airlines I always write the number as EBGxxxxxxxxx when making bookings myself. It has never caused any problems. When booking SK it is auto completed from my profile, so I pay no attention to how it is written.

Our corporate TA has the number with the EBG prefix, and that generally works for registering points correctly.
When moving between tiers, EBB --> EBS --> EBG, does it make any difference?
For ex, if I book my ticket as EBS but was EBG by the time I too the flight?
Old Nov 10, 2017, 5:41 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Originally Posted by vd0t
When moving between tiers, EBB --> EBS --> EBG, does it make any difference?
For ex, if I book my ticket as EBS but was EBG by the time I too the flight?
Crediting works. But sometimes I have an impression that the operating airline (even SK) still has the old status on the manifest file (from when you bought the ticket). This does not matter for hard benefits (like lounge access, etc), but might matter for inofficial or soft benefits like free seat next to you, or you may need to explain why your EBD coke should be free on board.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by SK2751
This does not matter for hard benefits (like lounge access, etc)
From my experience this year at least for the gates at the lounge in ARN it matters while for the gates at the lounge in CPH it does not matter. Interestingly SK*G was back then nicely printed on the boarding pass though.

When the prefix was changed by the staff in ARN, the gates opened.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I can't believe it's so difficult to find out actual benefits for non-SK *A elites flying on SK. I have started a new section at the bottom of the wiki detailing the benefits to the best of my knowledge. I would appreciate if someone more knowledgeable in the matter could fill out the rest.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 5:35 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I can't believe it's so difficult to find out actual benefits for non-SK *A elites flying on SK. I have started a new section at the bottom of the wiki detailing the benefits to the best of my knowledge. I would appreciate if someone more knowledgeable in the matter could fill out the rest.
I agree it's difficult to find out, but on the top of my head you got these three wrong:
Fast-track security pass: Yes (for everyone on same itinerary?)
Extra baggage allowance: No
Preferred seats: No

Fast track, it depends on the airport. If it's SK operated, like at CPH, I believe you won't have access.
You do get +1 luggage.
"Preferred seats", you can at least reserve exit/bulkhead rows for free in go.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by studentCPH
You do get +1 luggage.
It's strange. On the outbound, where UA is the originating carrier, it says I get two bags for free. On the inbound, where SK is the originating carrier, it says I only get one bag.

As for preferred seats, as I noted in the other thread, I can only find that EBP and EBD get them for free. Anyone know where it says *G can also get preferred seats for free?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.