Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS & EuroBonus Introduction / Frequently Asked Questions

Old Mar 10, 2015, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Nick Art
Introduction to SAS & Eurobonus / Frequently Asked Questions

Introduction

Scandinavian Airlines System (for short SAS, IATA code SK) is the flag carrier airline of Scandinavia. It's owned for 71% by private owners and 29% by the governments of Sweden (1/7th) and Denmark (1/7th). The government of Norway has recently sold its stake in SAS.

SAS mainly flies to destinations in Europe, particularly within Scandinavia, but also operates on a few long haul routes to Asia and the USA.

SAS is part of the StarAlliance network and has in addition codeshare operations with several airlines.

Fleet
The fleet of SAS consists of mainly short haul material, mainly A320neos, but also several variants of the Airbus A320 and Boeing 737 families, although the latter are diminishing in number.

Bombardier CRJ regional jets and ATR turboprops are operated for SAS by the Irish airline Cityjet and Estonian airline XFly. A small fleet of Embraer 195 are operated by subsidiary SAS Link out of Copenhagen.

A fleet of A320neo aircraft is close to being fully delivered to Irish-registered subsidiary SAS Connect (formerly SAS Ireland).

For long haul operations, SAS uses the Airbus A330-300 and A350-900.

An up to date overview of the SAS fleet can be found here.

Hubs and Focus Cities
SAS has three hubs:
Copenhagen (CPH),
Stockholm (ARN) and
Oslo Gardermoen (OSL).

In addition,
Bergen (BGO),
Stavanger (SVG),
Trondheim (TRD) and
Gøteborg Landvetter (GOT)
have been defined as focus cities.

Service classes

Instead of the traditional Economy Class, Economy Extra Class and Business Class, SAS has made up its own service class system.

Short haul
On all short haul, SAS serves the following classes
  • SAS Go is what should resemble regular economy. The following is included in SAS Go
    • 23 kg. luggage
    • on line check in and on site check in
    • Buy on board (coffee and tea are included in the ticket price)
    • seat selection (may come with additional costs)
  • SAS Plus is a hybrid form of economy extra and business class and includes the following features
    • seating in the front of the plane
    • no guaranteed free middle seat
    • choice of food and beverages from the on board menu is included
    • priority check in counter usage
    • fast track security where applicable
    • priority luggage labels on your hold luggage
    • higher point earnings
    • lounge access where available
    • priority boarding where applied

Experience teaches that Plus, with the exception of full flex tickets, is not considered as a business class fare by any of the airline partners of SAS. As a result, if someone books a flight in SAS plus with a partner airline, the chance is quite big to end up in regular economy. The same goes for re-routings on partner airlines. This also may affect lounge access on Plus tickets: not all partner airlines may allow Plus ticket holders in their lounges.

Frequent Flyer Program / EuroBonus
SAS has its own frequent flier program called EuroBonus. It has been around since 1992. EuroBonus offers frequent fliers the possibilities to earn points. These points can be used to obtain status and /or to save for award travel or products from the gift shop.

After subscribing to EuroBonus, the qualification period starts running. This is an period of 12 months from the month of subscription to the end of the 12th month thereafter. This cycle repeats itself every year.

For example, if someone subscribes in October, his or her qualification period runs from October to September the next year (both inclusive).

Membership levels
EuroBonus offers five levels in its program:
Qualifying segments can be earned on all flights flown by
  • SAS, with the exception of SAS flights with numbers ranging 3000 - 3999 and 6000 - 9999. More information can be found here
  • Widerøe, with the exception of all flights within Norway that are carried out on PSO agreements. An overview of eligible routes can be found here.

For point earnings, please see below.

Point earnings
EuroBonus offers 2 kinds of points:
  • Basic points
    These are points that count towards membership levels.
  • Points for use (sometimes referred to as Extra points) These are the points that can be used for award travel and as a currency for buying products.

The validity of points varies and is based on the type of point and the membership level.
  • Basic points are valid during one qualification period.
  • Points for use (sometimes referred to as Extra points) are valid for 5 years for all memeber levels except Diamond and Pandion: those levels have no point validity. After losing Pandion or Diamond level benefits the counter for validity is reset to 5 years.

Basic points can be earned on all flights operated by
  • SAS. All flights, with the exception of flights with number 3000 - 3999 and 6000 - 9999
  • Widerøe. All flights, with the exception of PSO routes. An overview of eligible routes can be found here
  • Atlantic Airways. Please note that no points are earned on flight numbers RC001-399 and RC1000-9999.
  • StarAlliance partners. Point earnings is possible on all StarAlliance partners. Please note that not all booking classes may be eligible on all carriers. A detailed overview of earnings per airline can be found here.*

* Please note that only 'points for use' can be earned on AirBaltic and Ethiad Airways and only on selected routes.

Booking class
Critical for the determination of how many points will be earned is the booking class in which a flight is booked. A booking class is represented by a single character and can vary per flight segment in your booking.

A regular SAS booking via the SAS website doesn't explicitly state the booking class in the reservation, although it is possible to see in which class the booking will be done:

Step 1:
Select a suitable flight or routing and the available fares will show up. For flights fully operated by SK the booking site will show the points earned on the lower right side for each fare (1). Note that for Eurobonus Status members, the bonus % earned on flights is included in these calculations.

Step 2:
Click the (i) icon on the top of the fare (2). A popup will show up showing the fare rules. The letter is the booking class (3). In the case of more than one flight, the booking class for each flight is displayed in chronological order.

To check the booking classes later on, review the Electronic Itinerary SAS sent via mail:

Or check the booking classes directly under my bookings on the SAS website:

Star Alliance Benefits (for elites in other *A programs flying on SK)

Star Alliance Silver Benefits
You'll get nothing and like it?

Star Alliance Gold Benefits
Priority check-in: Yes
Fast-track security pass: Yes (for everyone on same itinerary; excludes SK-operated fast-track security)
Extra baggage allowance: Yes (HBO fares might be excluded)
Preferred seats: Yes
Lounge access: Yes (for traveler and one guest; SAS-operated or Star Alliance-affiliated lounges only)
Priority baggage handling: Yes
Priority standby: Yes
Priority boarding: Yes (for everyone on the same itinerary)

Print Wikipost

SAS & EuroBonus Introduction / Frequently Asked Questions

Old Apr 20, 2023, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I am sure he will be happy, but it will be a while before he needs the next.

But I am sure you can find someone in the extended family and friends list. If lot a fellow Flyertalker will probably give a shout.
There are many options within my circle including family. I was just trying to see if other people have done things differently.

I know someone that gave it to charity and I'm sure people are selling those somewhere.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 12:47 pm
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
I am in a similar situation as you are Cookoovaya. There are certainly some family members or aquaintances that could benefit from getting EBG, but it is hard to choose as the ones I would gift it to are not in need of it and the rest of the people I feel don't deserve it and hence I don't want to give it to them. Furthermore at some point I had two family members who I would have liked to give a status to equally and since I only had one to give away, to avoid bad blood, I did end up giving it to neither.

In the past I've given away my spare EBS membership in the SAS Café thread to people that could use it, but it has recently been pointed out to me that this is against the FT rules. It is because of that we're working on a dedicated EB Status giveaway thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-...nus-forum.html) that would allow us to gift such spare stati here in a dedicate thread in the SAS forums.
Old Apr 26, 2023, 12:49 pm

EB Diamond (current SK climate)

So I've been diamond the past few years, and Im about 6500 points shy of it this qualification period (ends 30/04). I am debating if I want to exchange the 65000 points (or 700 euros) to retain my diamond status, or if I just downgrade to gold for the next year.

Is EBD worth it compared to gold? I see the perks list on their website, but things that are unclear are how much do they actually upgrade diamond vs. gold (when and when not making a bid), etc. It just seems like the free drinks and bids being with 10% more isn't really worth earning gold 2x in one year (giving away gold card is cool too, but worth it?)

I have never received an upgrade I didn't bid for, and find it frustrating SK doesn't offer instant upgrades to their most premium members.

Anybody have any insight or thoughts that might help me make my decision?
Old Apr 27, 2023, 5:31 am

Programs: Eurobonus, Iberia Plus
Originally Posted by eksf26
So I've been diamond the past few years, and Im about 6500 points shy of it this qualification period (ends 30/04). I am debating if I want to exchange the 65000 points (or 700 euros) to retain my diamond status, or if I just downgrade to gold for the next year.

Is EBD worth it compared to gold? I see the perks list on their website, but things that are unclear are how much do they actually upgrade diamond vs. gold (when and when not making a bid), etc. It just seems like the free drinks and bids being with 10% more isn't really worth earning gold 2x in one year (giving away gold card is cool too, but worth it?)

I have never received an upgrade I didn't bid for, and find it frustrating SK doesn't offer instant upgrades to their most premium members.

Anybody have any insight or thoughts that might help me make my decision?
Unless you fly SAS often enough to claw back a lot of value from free beverages in Go and using the SAS lounges as arrivals lounges, you would probably need to see sufficient value in giving away an EB Gold card or getting soft-landed to gold the year after to make EBD really worthwhile. Yes, for some there is value in the other benefits as well. +30% vs +20% on your upgrade bid could make a difference, but probably only on rare occasions, and EBD have the (unpublished) possibility to get courtesy upgrades on long haul flights. But post-covid, anecdotal claims say that SAS has shifted to accept more upgrade bids and handing out fewer CUs. The 30% vs 10% discount on "buying regular tickets for points" can be valuable when you only find a reward long haul ticket in one direction, but it requires you to be relatively rich in EB points, which usually means being located in a country with SAS-branded credit cards.
And EBD are actually not SAS' most premium members since there is also EBP (Pandion), with EBD just being the highest published level.

And by the way, if you're potentially willing to pay for the basic points, you have another couple of months to consider, while you enjoy your grace period. Purchased basic points are back-dated 123 days.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 6:55 am

Absolutely NOT worth it. The benefits are marginal at best.
Old May 15, 2023, 8:24 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by oliver2002
FWIW the service class letters are as follows: F first, C business, W or E premium eco, M or Y economy. AFAIR BA was the first to offer a PE in the system and used W so that stuck in Amadeus as the service cabin designator. Lufthansa was already using M for economy in the late 90s, so SAS used Y for PE when they introduced PE in the early 2000s and M for economy.
Having completed some recent journeys in Plus I have gained some more insights and it seems even more confusing now.

So, there is the booking class, which is the letter of your fare, also shown small on the boarding pass.

Short hauls:

Go: O, V, E, M, H, Q, W, U, K, L, T, R, N, G
Plus: A P B Y S J Z D C

Long hauls:

Go: O, T, Q, V, W, K, L, U, G, R, N, E, M, H
Plus: A P B Y S
Business: J Z D C

Then there is the service class, shown in the App:

Short hauls:

Go: M
Plus: W (for Plus booking classes) / C (for business booking classes)

Long hauls:

Plus: Y?W?
Business: C

And, just to make it extra confusing they then also print yet another letter on your boarding pass (which I'll just name cabin class).

Short hauls:

Plus: C

Long hauls:

Plus: Y?W?
Business: C

Last edited by Nick Art; May 15, 2023 at 11:17 am
Old May 20, 2023, 7:29 am

It's possible to upgrade an award ticket with miles? I'm looking for a flight from Usa, but I can't find any biz availabilty (march 2024) just PE, and I'm wondering if it's wise to book PE right now and then try to upgrade.
Old May 22, 2023, 7:36 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, *A Gold
I need 9500 points to achieve Gold, and I’d like to have it by Sep-Oct. I want to keep the cost under 500€ max, but I’m unfamiliar with good mileage runs on SK, so maybe some experts can chime in? Is it even realistic to expect that amount of points for that budget?
Old May 22, 2023, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by Deckter
I need 9500 points to achieve Gold, and I’d like to have it by Sep-Oct. I want to keep the cost under 500€ max, but I’m unfamiliar with good mileage runs on SK, so maybe some experts can chime in? Is it even realistic to expect that amount of points for that budget?
Two questions: is "location: BER" (part of your profile) where you need to start from? Is your current EB status silver (which would be my guess given how you've phrased your question), or are you trying to maintain gold? This makes a difference since EBS gets +10% status points on SAS flights, and EBG +25%.
Old May 22, 2023, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Tomas E
Two questions: is "location: BER" (part of your profile) where you need to start from? Is your current EB status silver (which would be my guess given how you've phrased your question), or are you trying to maintain gold? This makes a difference since EBS gets +10% status points on SAS flights, and EBG +25%.
I am Silver and yes, my location is BER, also happy to position to other parts of Europe if it takes the cost down.
Old May 22, 2023, 11:53 am

Basically, an effective SAS MR is usually being routed via two of their hubs, so in your case BER-CPH-OSL/ARN-(somewhere) or BER-ARN-CPH/OSL-(somewhere). Since you're aiming to qualify via points and not segments, SAS Plus tickets usually earn more points per euro. Recently, SAS has introduced two categories of "Bio" tickets (Go Smart Bio and Plus Pro Bio) which earn additional basic points (400 within Scandinavia, 700 within Europe, per segment), and where these additional earnings tend to be good value for the price difference to Go Smart/Plus Pro. (The old option of paying separately for biofuel only earned extra points, i.e., those that don't contribute to status.) There is also an extra bonus of 450 points for Bio tickets until 31 Aug (but there is no status bonus on that extra earning so it may not be worth chasing for). A three-segment return trip in Plus Pro Bio starting in BER should get you close to the points you need, and possibly all the way, depending on booking class and if the third leg is Scandinavia or Europe.

I'm not sure if you'll have an easy time getting all the way up to 20 EB points per euro starting from BER over the next couple of months, which your € 500 budget would require you to. But a quick check indicates that it is fairly easy to get to around 15 EB points per euro. However, with SAS not too impressive BER schedule you would likely need to spend the night at your destination (or one of the hubs) in order to squeeze in a three segment return trip, adding to your cost.

Not sure if you'll get the price down substantially by positioning yourself somewhere else, unless you can move to a "cheaper season" that way. Starting with a leg to a SAS hub, as you already do, usually gives more points for your money than starting at the hubs. Poland (e.g. GDN) used to be a cheaper starting point than any of the Nordic countries, but I think that mostly applied to long haul flights (which may be a bit of overkill for you) and I'm not sure if that pricing is still true post-covid. Hopefully someone else can give hints of cheap destinations for three segment journeys.

Isn't there anywhere you were planning to fly to anyway, over the next couple of months, that SAS flies to? Then your cost would only be the additional cost of flying with SAS on a convoluted route and on a Plus Bio ticket. Or if you were planning to fly LH or another Star Alliance carrier, with a possibility to credit to SAS (after you've checked earnings).

You could of course fly a two-segment return in one day, and a one- or two-segment return in another day, but that's probably going to be more expensive. Or two/three segment single tickets and then continue with another airline if that suits your schedule (I notice that you also do Oneworld).

The points earnings on SAS flights are indicated when you book (doesn't work for codeshare), and if you're logged in, you'll see the points earning including your status bonus. Otherwise you'll find the possible earnings per segment here:
https://www.flysas.com/de-de/eurobon...vian-airlines/
(Neither the 10% EBSilver bonus nor the new 400/700 points for Bio tickets have found their way on to that page. The 400/700 points aren't on the Swedish page either.)

Good luck!
Deckter likes this.
Old May 22, 2023, 1:58 pm

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
As an alternative to Tomas E 's excellent suggestions, I'd also evaluate the possibility of a trip to the US East Coast. With a 10% bonus, a BER-CPH-EWR/BOS trip in SAS Plus should get you over the threshold; even though it's probably going to cost double your budget, at least you wouldn't do it for the sake of points alone and you can construct an experience instead. Totally up to you.
Deckter likes this.
Old May 23, 2023, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by Tomas E
Basically, an effective SAS MR is usually being routed via two of their hubs, so in your case BER-CPH-OSL/ARN-(somewhere) or BER-ARN-CPH/OSL-(somewhere). Since you're aiming to qualify via points and not segments, SAS Plus tickets usually earn more points per euro. Recently, SAS has introduced two categories of "Bio" tickets (Go Smart Bio and Plus Pro Bio) which earn additional basic points (400 within Scandinavia, 700 within Europe, per segment), and where these additional earnings tend to be good value for the price difference to Go Smart/Plus Pro. (The old option of paying separately for biofuel only earned extra points, i.e., those that don't contribute to status.) There is also an extra bonus of 450 points for Bio tickets until 31 Aug (but there is no status bonus on that extra earning so it may not be worth chasing for). A three-segment return trip in Plus Pro Bio starting in BER should get you close to the points you need, and possibly all the way, depending on booking class and if the third leg is Scandinavia or Europe.

I'm not sure if you'll have an easy time getting all the way up to 20 EB points per euro starting from BER over the next couple of months, which your € 500 budget would require you to. But a quick check indicates that it is fairly easy to get to around 15 EB points per euro. However, with SAS not too impressive BER schedule you would likely need to spend the night at your destination (or one of the hubs) in order to squeeze in a three segment return trip, adding to your cost.

Not sure if you'll get the price down substantially by positioning yourself somewhere else, unless you can move to a "cheaper season" that way. Starting with a leg to a SAS hub, as you already do, usually gives more points for your money than starting at the hubs. Poland (e.g. GDN) used to be a cheaper starting point than any of the Nordic countries, but I think that mostly applied to long haul flights (which may be a bit of overkill for you) and I'm not sure if that pricing is still true post-covid. Hopefully someone else can give hints of cheap destinations for three segment journeys.

Isn't there anywhere you were planning to fly to anyway, over the next couple of months, that SAS flies to? Then your cost would only be the additional cost of flying with SAS on a convoluted route and on a Plus Bio ticket. Or if you were planning to fly LH or another Star Alliance carrier, with a possibility to credit to SAS (after you've checked earnings).

You could of course fly a two-segment return in one day, and a one- or two-segment return in another day, but that's probably going to be more expensive. Or two/three segment single tickets and then continue with another airline if that suits your schedule (I notice that you also do Oneworld).

The points earnings on SAS flights are indicated when you book (doesn't work for codeshare), and if you're logged in, you'll see the points earning including your status bonus. Otherwise you'll find the possible earnings per segment here:
https://www.flysas.com/de-de/eurobon...vian-airlines/
(Neither the 10% EBSilver bonus nor the new 400/700 points for Bio tickets have found their way on to that page. The 400/700 points aren't on the Swedish page either.)

Good luck!
Thanks for the great suggestions. I’ve been looking around at convoluted routings, but I’m yet to find the route that fits within my budget. An alternative would be to suck it up for three months without Gold Status (My current TP gold expires end of July) and do a PE to Asia with LH, which will definitely take me over the line.

Originally Posted by gojko88
As an alternative to Tomas E 's excellent suggestions, I'd also evaluate the possibility of a trip to the US East Coast. With a 10% bonus, a BER-CPH-EWR/BOS trip in SAS Plus should get you over the threshold; even though it's probably going to cost double your budget, at least you wouldn't do it for the sake of points alone and you can construct an experience instead. Totally up to you.
Another great suggestion; I'll wait for the next sale when they usually have prices around 600€ in PE to the US.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA
How strict are the gate agents on carry on baggage? I'm planning on booking a Go Light fare and I will just have a backpack and medium (normal gym sized) duffel. I will board with *G.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by thejaredhuang
How strict are the gate agents on carry on baggage? I'm planning on booking a Go Light fare and I will just have a backpack and medium (normal gym sized) duffel. I will board with *G.
It depends on the airport as well as the flight destination...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.