Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS & Eurobonus Introduction / Frequently Asked Questions

SAS & Eurobonus Introduction / Frequently Asked Questions

    Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 14, 17, 1:27 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: pseudoswede
Wiki Link
Introduction to SAS & Eurobonus / Frequently Asked Questions

Introduction

Scandinavian Airlines System (for short SAS, IATA code SK) is the flag carrier airline of Scandinavia. It's owned for 50% by private owners and 50% by the governments of Sweden (3/7th), Norway (2/7th) and Denmark (2/7th).

SAS mainly flies to destinations in Europe, particularly within Scandinavia, but also operates on a few long haul routes to Asia and the USA.

SAS is part of the StarAlliance network and has in addition codeshare operations with several airlines.

Fleet
The fleet of SAS consists of mainly short haul material, mainly several variants of the Boeing 737 and Airbus A320 families. Due to fleet normalization, all short haul Airbus aircraft will be based at Copenhagen, while the Boeings operate from bases in Norway and Sweden.
Currently a fleet of new generation A320 aircraft is on order.

For long haul operations, SAS uses the A340 and A330. New aircraft of type A350 are on order. A route from Stavanger to Houston is operated on a private Air Boeing 737-700.

Hubs and Focus Cities
SAS has three hubs:
Copenhagen (CPH),
Stockholm (ARN) and
Oslo Gardermoen (OSL).

In addition,
Bergen (BGO),
Stavanger (SVG),
Trondheim (TRD) and
Gøteborg Landvetter (GOT)
have been defined as focus cities.

Service classes

Instead of the traditional Economy Class, Economy Extra Class and Business Class, SAS has made up its own service class system.

Short haul
On all short haul, SAS serves the following classes
  • SAS Go is what should resemble regular economy. The following is included in SAS Go
    • 23 kg. luggage
    • on line check in and on site check in
    • Buy on board (coffee and tea are included in the ticket price)
    • seat selection (may come with additional costs)
  • SAS Plus is a hybrid form of economy extra and business class and includes the following features
    • seating in the front of the plane
    • no guaranteed free middle seat
    • choice of food and beverages from the on board menu is included
    • priority check in counter usage
    • fast track security where applicable
    • priority luggage labels on your hold luggage
    • higher point earnings
    • lounge access where available
    • priority boarding where applied

Experience teaches that Plus, with the exception of full flex tickets, is not considered as a business class fare by any of the airline partners of SAS. As a result, if someone books a flight in SAS plus with a partner airline, the chance is quite big to end up in regular economy. The same goes for re-routings on partner airlines. This also may affect lounge access on Plus tickets: not all partner airlines may allow Plus ticket holders in their lounges.

Frequent Flyer Program / EuroBonus
SAS has its own frequent flier program called EuroBonus. It has been around since 1992. EuroBonus offers frequent fliers the possibilities to earn points. These points can be used to obtain status and /or to save for award travel or products from the gift shop.

After subscribing to EuroBonus, the qualification period starts running. This is an period of 12 months from the month of subscription to the end of the 12th month thereafter. This cycle repeats itself every year.

For example, if someone subscribes in October, his or her qualification period runs from October to September the next year (both inclusive).

Membership levels
EuroBonus offers five levels in its program:
  • Basic is the standard entry level for everyone who subscribes to the program
  • Silver is the level for everyone who has flown 10 one way flight segments or gathered 20.000 basic points within one qualification period on qualifying flights. This comes with the status Star Alliance Silver
  • Gold is the level for everyone flying 45 qualifying flight segments or gathering 45.000 basic points within one qualification period on qualifying flights.
  • Diamond is the highest tier available by basic point earnings or flight segments flown. 90 segments or 90.000 points in one qualification period are required.
  • Pandion is an invitation only level for the best customers of SAS. Not much is formally known about the requirements for achieving this level.

Qualifying segments can be earned on all flights flown by
  • SAS, with the exception of SAS flights with numbers ranging 3000 - 3999 and 6000 - 9999. More information can be found here
  • Widerøe, with the exception of all flights within Norway that are carried out on PSO agreements. An overview of eligible routes can be found here.

For point earnings, please see below.

Point earnings
EuroBonus offers 2 kinds of points:
  • Basic points
    These are points that count towards membership levels.
  • Points for use These are the points that can be used for award travel and as a currency for buying products.

The validity of points varies and is based on the type of point and the membership level.
  • Basic points are valid during one qualification period.
  • Points for use are valid for 5 years for all memeber levels except Diamond and Pandion: those levels have no point validity. After losing Pandion or Diamond level benefits the counter for validity is reset to 5 years.

Basic points can be earned on all flights operated by
  • SAS. All flights, with the exception of flights with number 3000 - 3999 and 6000 - 9999
  • Widerøe. All flights, with the exception of PSO routes. An overview of eligible routes can be found here
  • Atlantic Airways. Please note that no points are earned on flight numbers RC001-399 and RC1000-9999.
  • StarAlliance partners. Point earnings is possible on all StarAlliance partners. Please note that not all booking classes may be eligible on all carriers. A detailed overview of earnings per airline can be found here.*

* Please note that only 'points for use' can be earned on AirBaltic and Ethiad Airways and only on selected routes.

Booking class
Critical for the determination of how many points will be earned is the booking class in which a flight is booked. A booking class is represented by a single character and can vary per flight segment in your booking.

A regular SAS booking via the SAS website doesn't explicitly state the booking class in the reservation, although it is possible to see in which class the booking will be done:

Step 1:
Select a suitable flight and click next (1), For flights fully operated by SK the booking site will show the points earned on the lower right side (!X!)


Step 2:
Click the Fare class link (2). A popup will show up showing the fare bases. The first letter is the booking class (3)


To check the booking classes later on, review the Electronx Itinerary SAS sent via mail:


Alternatively you can check the reservation at Saudia Airlines handy tool to easily recover the booking class. Just go to 'manage my booking', enter the e-ticket number (it starts with 117 for SAS bookings and can be found at the bottom of your booking confirmation email) and see the booking with the booking class explicitly stated as 'fare class'.

Star Alliance Benefits (for elites in other *A programs flying on SK)

Star Alliance Silver Benefits
You'll get nothing and like it?

Star Alliance Gold Benefits
Priority check-in: Yes
Fast-track security pass: Yes (for everyone on same itinerary?; excludes SK-operated fast-track security)
Extra baggage allowance: Yes (HBO fares might be excluded)
Preferred seats: Yes
Lounge access: Yes (for traveler and one guest; SAS-operated or Star Alliance-affiliated lounges only)
Priority baggage handling: Yes
Priority standby: Yes
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 21, 20, 4:38 am
  #331  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: In between PTY, MEX and CPH
Programs: Flying Blue Gold, United Premier Silver, Connect Miles Plat, Marriott Plat,
Posts: 500
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
At CPH, there is no Gold/Fast Track benefit for all *Gs flying * airlines in economy class.

Nor is there any of that benefit for all *Gs at ARN.

At OSL, however, there is Gold/Fast Track for all *Gs flying * airlines in economy class out of OSL; but the *Gs on SK get the SK FastTrack while *Gs on other * carriers (beside SK) use a a separate priority security screening access. At least according to this:

https://www.staralliance.com/en/gold-track

So [email protected] seems worse than [email protected] in regards to granting priority screening to partner airline *Gs.

And CPH is worse than ARN in regards to granting priority screening to Amex Platinum and Centurion card holders.
The whole debate arose from the fact that my SAS branded Boarding Pass said fast track available. What you described was also my perception. SK should get this in order (or just change their ridiculous policy...)
Milkman is offline  
Old Jan 21, 20, 4:44 am
  #332  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 90,923
Originally Posted by Milkman View Post
The whole debate arose from the fact that my SAS branded Boarding Pass said fast track available. What you described was also my perception. SK should get this in order (or just change their ridiculous policy...)
Unfortunately, SAS isn’t the only airline at CPH that has done this kind of thing of giving a boarding pass with “Fast Track” printed on it but that didn’t scan like it should for opening the priority screening gates at the CPH checkpoints for priority screening.
GUWonder is offline  
Old Mar 7, 20, 11:17 am
  #333  
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 3
Some basic questions!

Hi, I’m new to EB programme and wanted to make sure of some basics, my qualification period starts in May 2020 and I was wondering if I qualify for any status level during this period would I keep that level until end of April 2022 ? Basically for the qualification period and the subsequent qualification year.

Another question is regarding the booking channel, would booking a trip via 3rd party channels instead of SAS still count towards EB program segments flown for qualifying as long as Membership number is registered to the ticket?

Thank you so much!
Matin is offline  
Old Mar 7, 20, 11:55 am
  #334  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Preferable @30.000 feet
Programs: More than one
Posts: 1,673
Originally Posted by Matin View Post
Hi, I’m new to EB programme and wanted to make sure of some basics, my qualification period starts in May 2020 and I was wondering if I qualify for any status level during this period would I keep that level until end of April 2022 ? Basically for the qualification period and the subsequent qualification year.
+ 3 months grace period, so end July 2020. If you qualification period is May 1 to April 30 and you reach gold on May 2 2020, you will have gold until July 31 2022 (current qualification year + next qualification year + 3 months)

Originally Posted by Matin View Post
Another question is regarding the booking channel, would booking a trip via 3rd party channels instead of SAS still count towards EB program segments flown for qualifying as long as Membership number is registered to the ticket?
How you book the trip doesn't matter. You will earn EB basic points (qualifying points) on all flights operated by any airline which is part of Star Alliance as long as you remember to get your EB number added to the flight latest 6 months after the flight took place. For flights flown before you became a EB member you can retro claim 3 months back as far as I remember.
Segments only count for SAS operated flights. Again how you book the flight doesn't matter. It's the operator of the flight which counts and this goes for both points and segments.
But please note. The flight has to be operated by SAS or a Star Alliance partner to count. Code shares doesn't count if the flight is operated by an airline which is not part of Star Alliance.
Matin likes this.

Last edited by highupinthesky; Mar 7, 20 at 12:00 pm
highupinthesky is offline  
Old Mar 7, 20, 3:25 pm
  #335  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: AGH
Posts: 5,145
Well, and there are some booking classes on various partners which do not qualify for point earnings - and nowadays even in SK metal lot of the cheap fares earn minimal points.

So, make sure to check against the point earning tables before you book a flight if getting status or collecting points is important.
Matin likes this.
fassy is offline  
Old Mar 7, 20, 3:36 pm
  #336  
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 3
Originally Posted by fassy View Post
Well, and there are some booking classes on various partners which do not qualify for point earnings - and nowadays even in SK metal lot of the cheap fares earn minimal points.

So, make sure to check against the point earning tables before you book a flight if getting status or collecting points is important.
Thanks for the advice however I’m planing to reach gold by flying 45 SAS/Widerøe segments from May which is start of my qualification period through July.

I live by the Swedish border in the north of Finland and have rather easy access to SAS flights and aiming to avoid Finnair for SAS since flights are substantially cheaper in Sweden.
Matin is offline  
Old Apr 7, 20, 3:29 am
  #337  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: next to HAM
Programs: LH FTL, EB*G(1)
Posts: 850
sorry - selfconfuserited. deleted.
PAX_fips is offline  
Old May 23, 20, 4:43 am
  #338  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Programs: SAS Eurobonus
Posts: 10
I tried to search the thread and the forum for an answer, but I couldn't get anything clear (even though I think I have read about it somewhere here).

Is it possible to book 2 one-way award tickets and connect them as a return ticket later on (both with SAS of course)? There is no availability for the return yet and I'd like to book the outbound flight before it's gone, but it would be better if I can save some points connecting them later!

Thanks!
McQuein is offline  
Old May 23, 20, 6:14 am
  #339  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Posts: 11,478
Originally Posted by McQuein View Post
I tried to search the thread and the forum for an answer, but I couldn't get anything clear (even though I think I have read about it somewhere here).

Is it possible to book 2 one-way award tickets and connect them as a return ticket later on (both with SAS of course)? There is no availability for the return yet and I'd like to book the outbound flight before it's gone, but it would be better if I can save some points connecting them later!

Thanks!
No. Once a ticket has been issued, it can't have additional legs added to it. So you'd have to pay the one way uplift to book like that.
​​​​​
CPH-Flyer is online now  
Old May 23, 20, 12:11 pm
  #340  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: AGH
Posts: 5,145
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
No. Once a ticket has been issued, it can't have additional legs added to it. So you'd have to pay the one way uplift to book like that.
​​​​​
Well, technically it can be changed after the ticket is issued. Also by adding another segment to it. Done so many times, e.g. I had HAM-FRA-JFK/BOS-MUC-HAM booked and then added CPH-HAM and HAM-CPH later. Wasn't any issue. Just had to pay the 15(?) EUR change fee.

Bigger issue is, you cannot get that return flight composed by merging two one-ways. the agent would need to cancel one of the one-ways and add it to the other one. By that time the award space will probably not be returned. so, it could be possible if there is additional free award space on a flight at either end. But never tried.
fassy is offline  
Old May 23, 20, 5:31 pm
  #341  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Posts: 11,478
Originally Posted by fassy View Post
Well, technically it can be changed after the ticket is issued. Also by adding another segment to it. Done so many times, e.g. I had HAM-FRA-JFK/BOS-MUC-HAM booked and then added CPH-HAM and HAM-CPH later. Wasn't any issue. Just had to pay the 15(?) EUR change fee.

Bigger issue is, you cannot get that return flight composed by merging two one-ways. the agent would need to cancel one of the one-ways and add it to the other one. By that time the award space will probably not be returned. so, it could be possible if there is additional free award space on a flight at either end. But never tried.
True I was being a bit inspecific as there probably are cases that can be added. But yeah, getting a one way changed to a return with in the same ticket is not an option.
CPH-Flyer is online now  
Old May 24, 20, 3:12 am
  #342  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Programs: SAS Eurobonus
Posts: 10
Originally Posted by fassy View Post
Bigger issue is, you cannot get that return flight composed by merging two one-ways. the agent would need to cancel one of the one-ways and add it to the other one. By that time the award space will probably not be returned. so, it could be possible if there is additional free award space on a flight at either end. But never tried.
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
True I was being a bit inspecific as there probably are cases that can be added. But yeah, getting a one way changed to a return with in the same ticket is not an option.
Thanks both for the answers! 2 one-ways then is not an option, but could I call if there is availability for the return and have it added to the outbound flight as a return ticket? Or would they have to cancel that outbound flight and book both as a return-ticket together?
McQuein is offline  
Old May 24, 20, 3:57 am
  #343  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Posts: 11,478
Originally Posted by McQuein View Post
Thanks both for the answers! 2 one-ways then is not an option, but could I call if there is availability for the return and have it added to the outbound flight as a return ticket? Or would they have to cancel that outbound flight and book both as a return-ticket together?
They would have to cancel the original ticket, so you'd need to see availability for both legs. There is no guarantee that a cancelled award seat goes back to award inventory, so if there is no availability showing for the leg you cancel, it is a very risky manoeuvre to undertake..

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; May 24, 20 at 3:58 am Reason: Clarity
CPH-Flyer is online now  
Old May 24, 20, 4:51 am
  #344  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: AGH
Posts: 5,145
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
They would have to cancel the original ticket, so you'd need to see availability for both legs. There is no guarantee that a cancelled award seat goes back to award inventory, so if there is no availability showing for the leg you cancel, it is a very risky manoeuvre to undertake..
Hmm, not sure. Since you can drop the the out- or inbound leg from a ticket and it gets repriced from a return to a one-way it should also work the other way around as long as there is award space open on one or the other end. Assuming you have a ticket for

#1 CPH-EWR 9/6
#2 EWR-CPH 9/10

and want to merge them and get it repriced to a return, take a look if there is award space on either 9/6 or 9/10. Assuming there is an open seat on CPH-EWR 9/6, call in and have them change the EWR-CPH ticket #2 by adding the CPH-EWR flight and have them ticket the change. Insist on getting the new e-ticket! then cancel the original ticket #1 . Or the other way around if there is free award space on 9/10.

Haven't tried. But I see no reason why it should not work. Repricing awards tickets after a change, even by adding or removing legs or changing class of service always worked for me.

The only thing which definitely doesn't work is merging the two existing one-way tickets and get it repriced into a return flight.
fassy is offline  
Old May 24, 20, 5:15 am
  #345  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Posts: 11,478
Originally Posted by fassy View Post
Hmm, not sure. Since you can drop the the out- or inbound leg from a ticket and it gets repriced from a return to a one-way it should also work the other way around as long as there is award space open on one or the other end. Assuming you have a ticket for

#1 CPH-EWR 9/6
#2 EWR-CPH 9/10

and want to merge them and get it repriced to a return, take a look if there is award space on either 9/6 or 9/10. Assuming there is an open seat on CPH-EWR 9/6, call in and have them change the EWR-CPH ticket #2 by adding the CPH-EWR flight and have them ticket the change. Insist on getting the new e-ticket! then cancel the original ticket #1 . Or the other way around if there is free award space on 9/10.

Haven't tried. But I see no reason why it should not work. Repricing awards tickets after a change, even by adding or removing legs or changing class of service always worked for me.

The only thing which definitely doesn't work is merging the two existing one-way tickets and get it repriced into a return flight.
Which is basically a complicated way of saying the same thing. You'd need to see availability beyond what you have already booked to make it happen.
CPH-Flyer is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: