Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS & EuroBonus Introduction / Frequently Asked Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 10, 2015, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Nick Art
Introduction to SAS & Eurobonus / Frequently Asked Questions

Introduction

Scandinavian Airlines System (for short SAS, IATA code SK) is the flag carrier airline of Scandinavia. It's owned for 71% by private owners and 29% by the governments of Sweden (1/7th) and Denmark (1/7th). The government of Norway has recently sold its stake in SAS.

SAS mainly flies to destinations in Europe, particularly within Scandinavia, but also operates on a few long haul routes to Asia and the USA.

SAS is part of the StarAlliance network and has in addition codeshare operations with several airlines.

Fleet
The fleet of SAS consists of mainly short haul material, mainly A320neos, but also several variants of the Airbus A320 and Boeing 737 families, although the latter are diminishing in number.

Bombardier CRJ regional jets and ATR turboprops are operated for SAS by the Irish airline Cityjet and Estonian airline XFly. A small fleet of Embraer 195 are operated by subsidiary SAS Link out of Copenhagen.

A fleet of A320neo aircraft is close to being fully delivered to Irish-registered subsidiary SAS Connect (formerly SAS Ireland).

For long haul operations, SAS uses the Airbus A330-300 and A350-900.

An up to date overview of the SAS fleet can be found here.

Hubs and Focus Cities
SAS has three hubs:
Copenhagen (CPH),
Stockholm (ARN) and
Oslo Gardermoen (OSL).

In addition,
Bergen (BGO),
Stavanger (SVG),
Trondheim (TRD) and
Gøteborg Landvetter (GOT)
have been defined as focus cities.

Service classes

Instead of the traditional Economy Class, Economy Extra Class and Business Class, SAS has made up its own service class system.

Short haul
On all short haul, SAS serves the following classes
  • SAS Go is what should resemble regular economy. The following is included in SAS Go
    • 23 kg. luggage
    • on line check in and on site check in
    • Buy on board (coffee and tea are included in the ticket price)
    • seat selection (may come with additional costs)
  • SAS Plus is a hybrid form of economy extra and business class and includes the following features
    • seating in the front of the plane
    • no guaranteed free middle seat
    • choice of food and beverages from the on board menu is included
    • priority check in counter usage
    • fast track security where applicable
    • priority luggage labels on your hold luggage
    • higher point earnings
    • lounge access where available
    • priority boarding where applied

Experience teaches that Plus, with the exception of full flex tickets, is not considered as a business class fare by any of the airline partners of SAS. As a result, if someone books a flight in SAS plus with a partner airline, the chance is quite big to end up in regular economy. The same goes for re-routings on partner airlines. This also may affect lounge access on Plus tickets: not all partner airlines may allow Plus ticket holders in their lounges.

Frequent Flyer Program / EuroBonus
SAS has its own frequent flier program called EuroBonus. It has been around since 1992. EuroBonus offers frequent fliers the possibilities to earn points. These points can be used to obtain status and /or to save for award travel or products from the gift shop.

After subscribing to EuroBonus, the qualification period starts running. This is an period of 12 months from the month of subscription to the end of the 12th month thereafter. This cycle repeats itself every year.

For example, if someone subscribes in October, his or her qualification period runs from October to September the next year (both inclusive).

Membership levels
EuroBonus offers five levels in its program:
Qualifying segments can be earned on all flights flown by
  • SAS, with the exception of SAS flights with numbers ranging 3000 - 3999 and 6000 - 9999. More information can be found here
  • Widerøe, with the exception of all flights within Norway that are carried out on PSO agreements. An overview of eligible routes can be found here.

For point earnings, please see below.

Point earnings
EuroBonus offers 2 kinds of points:
  • Basic points
    These are points that count towards membership levels.
  • Points for use (sometimes referred to as Extra points) These are the points that can be used for award travel and as a currency for buying products.

The validity of points varies and is based on the type of point and the membership level.
  • Basic points are valid during one qualification period.
  • Points for use (sometimes referred to as Extra points) are valid for 5 years for all memeber levels except Diamond and Pandion: those levels have no point validity. After losing Pandion or Diamond level benefits the counter for validity is reset to 5 years.

Basic points can be earned on all flights operated by
  • SAS. All flights, with the exception of flights with number 3000 - 3999 and 6000 - 9999
  • Widerøe. All flights, with the exception of PSO routes. An overview of eligible routes can be found here
  • Atlantic Airways. Please note that no points are earned on flight numbers RC001-399 and RC1000-9999.
  • StarAlliance partners. Point earnings is possible on all StarAlliance partners. Please note that not all booking classes may be eligible on all carriers. A detailed overview of earnings per airline can be found here.*

* Please note that only 'points for use' can be earned on AirBaltic and Ethiad Airways and only on selected routes.

Booking class
Critical for the determination of how many points will be earned is the booking class in which a flight is booked. A booking class is represented by a single character and can vary per flight segment in your booking.

A regular SAS booking via the SAS website doesn't explicitly state the booking class in the reservation, although it is possible to see in which class the booking will be done:

Step 1:
Select a suitable flight or routing and the available fares will show up. For flights fully operated by SK the booking site will show the points earned on the lower right side for each fare (1). Note that for Eurobonus Status members, the bonus % earned on flights is included in these calculations.

Step 2:
Click the (i) icon on the top of the fare (2). A popup will show up showing the fare rules. The letter is the booking class (3). In the case of more than one flight, the booking class for each flight is displayed in chronological order.

To check the booking classes later on, review the Electronic Itinerary SAS sent via mail:

Or check the booking classes directly under my bookings on the SAS website:

Star Alliance Benefits (for elites in other *A programs flying on SK)

Star Alliance Silver Benefits
You'll get nothing and like it?

Star Alliance Gold Benefits
Priority check-in: Yes
Fast-track security pass: Yes (for everyone on same itinerary; excludes SK-operated fast-track security)
Extra baggage allowance: Yes (HBO fares might be excluded)
Preferred seats: Yes
Lounge access: Yes (for traveler and one guest; SAS-operated or Star Alliance-affiliated lounges only)
Priority baggage handling: Yes
Priority standby: Yes
Priority boarding: Yes (for everyone on the same itinerary)

Print Wikipost

SAS & EuroBonus Introduction / Frequently Asked Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2020, 2:58 am

Programs: Oneworld Emerald, EBG
Thanks a lot for the quick (and positive) reply 👍👍👍
Old Jan 19, 2020, 6:54 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, SAS Eurobonus Silver, Connect Miles Gold, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Disc.
I just checked in on a SK flight tomorrow afternoon. I'm *G with one of the Latin American airlines. When I opened the boarding pass in my mailbox, I noticed that underneath the flight details and barcode it says:
FAST TRACK: Available at CPH security.

I'm flying a Go light fare intra European (Q).

Since when do *G members get access to any kind of fast track in CPH - and are they referring to SK fast track or CPH Express?
Old Jan 19, 2020, 12:42 pm

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by Milkman
I just checked in on a SK flight tomorrow afternoon. I'm *G with one of the Latin American airlines. When I opened the boarding pass in my mailbox, I noticed that underneath the flight details and barcode it says:
FAST TRACK: Available at CPH security.

I'm flying a Go light fare intra European (Q).

Since when do *G members get access to any kind of fast track in CPH - and are they referring to SK fast track or CPH Express?
It depends which airline you are flying with. If it's one of the airlines where SK is ground handling company *G normally get the benefit of using the SK fast track. If SK is not the ground handing company it will be CPH express. In some cases you can actually use both.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 12:41 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, SAS Eurobonus Silver, Connect Miles Gold, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Disc.
Originally Posted by highupinthesky
It depends which airline you are flying with. If it's one of the airlines where SK is ground handling company *G normally get the benefit of using the SK fast track. If SK is not the ground handing company it will be CPH express. In some cases you can actually use both.
It's SK marketed and operated, so the "clean thing".
I have just never seen that on my boarding pass before and frankly wasn't aware that it was even a benefit. Thought it was reserved for SKs own FFs.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
It's SK marketed and operated, so the "clean thing".
I have just never seen that on my boarding pass before and frankly wasn't aware that it was even a benefit. Thought it was reserved for SKs own FFs.
It used to be for Plus and Business bookings plus Eurobonus Gold, Diamond, and Pandion only. I guess good news if that has been expanded. Unless the lines get hopelessly chaotic.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 2:21 am

I've got a few of newbie questions about eurobonus awards on star alliance partners...

1. Is it still true that if you transit outside of the region then you pay the more expensive rate or has this been removed

2. Can I call to get different flights? I'm looking at a route A-B-C that has multiple services from A-B but the online version is only showing the A-B flight with the shortest connection time to the B-C flight. I'd like to take an earlier flight from A-B and possibly even build a long transit but will SAS allow this over the phone even if B is outside of the region of A and C? I saw an old post that giving the agents the specific flights used to be possible but not any more?

3. What are the change/cancellation fees. As far as I can tell it's just the service fee which is €60?
Old Jan 20, 2020, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by henrus
I've got a few of newbie questions about eurobonus awards on star alliance partners...

1. Is it still true that if you transit outside of the region then you pay the more expensive rate or has this been removed
No idea, I think they should price according to the published list, independent ended where you transit as long as it is the shortest logical connection. Of course, if you try EU-Asia-US, they will charge extra. Not sure you can even build this itinerary anymore.

2. Can I call to get different flights? I'm looking at a route A-B-C that has multiple services from A-B but the online version is only showing the A-B flight with the shortest connection time to the B-C flight. I'd like to take an earlier flight from A-B and possibly even build a long transit but will SAS allow this over the phone even if B is outside of the region of A and C? I saw an old post that giving the agents the specific flights used to be possible but not any more?
Never had any problem to get booked on flights of my choosing as long as X, I or O award inventory was accessible in the inventory.

3. What are the change/cancellation fees. As far as I can tell it's just the service fee which is €60?[/QUOTE]

Yes, it is only the service fee... I think more around 375 SEK/person
Old Jan 20, 2020, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by fassy
No idea, I think they should price according to the published list, independent ended where you transit as long as it is the shortest logical connection. Of course, if you try EU-Asia-US, they will charge extra. Not sure you can even build this itinerary anymore.
Yep not trying anything crazy and am intending to stick to the same route that the website is quoting just different flights. I'm looking at Pacific to Pacific but the only possible routes go via Asia which is what the SAS website suggests as a routing.

[QUOTE=fassy;31972196]Never had any problem to get booked on flights of my choosing as long as X, I or O award inventory was accessible in the inventory.

Ok cheers good to know. I checked X inventory via SAS website and the award hacks website https://awardhacks.se/Home/starresult both giving positive results for the flights I want.

Originally Posted by fassy
Yes, it is only the service fee... I think more around 375 SEK/person
Yep cheers my mistake. It's billing in Euro so it's actually €50 online.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
It used to be for Plus and Business bookings plus Eurobonus Gold, Diamond, and Pandion only. I guess good news if that has been expanded. Unless the lines get hopelessly chaotic.
As far as I know, it's always been an unpublished benefit that SK granted *G fast track access in CPH and ARN for SK operated flights. For flights where they are ground handling company I know it has worked in the past, but I'm not sure it still does. OSL use to be the same, but they now has a proper *G gold track so here there are no questions anymore.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 9:30 am

I've never heard about this, but I know airports and countries have different fees depending whether the flight is domestic, short haul or long haul and the fees also varies from country to country and airport to airport.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 9:34 am

I've never heard about this, but I know airports and countries have different fees depending whether the flight is domestic, short haul or long haul and the fees also varies from country to country and airport to airport.
It is pretty standard in some other programs, e.g. if you go from Zone 1 to Zone 2 (for let's say 100k miles) but have to transit in Zone 3 (where Zone 1 - Zone 3 is 130k miles), they will price it at the higher 130k miles Zone 1 - Zone 3 redemption rate. Which kind of makes sense... most of the time you get hit by this going to Asia/Pacific or traveling within Asia/Pacific.

But I do not have any recent experience with SAS to that regards, best option is to call and ask.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
As far as I know, it's always been an unpublished benefit that SK granted *G fast track access in CPH and ARN for SK operated flights. For flights where they are ground handling company I know it has worked in the past, but I'm not sure it still does. OSL use to be the same, but they now has a proper *G gold track so here there are no questions anymore.
Maybe you are right, I always seem to remember it the other way around only SK premium pax, or SK status counts. But as I never had another *A status it is only based on what other people have said.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 4:13 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
It can’t have been always, as I have been denied FastTrack by SK@CPH as a BD*G/CO*G/A3*G/UA*G/O6*G flying SK economy class.

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
SK Fast Track at CPH and ARN denied me access as partner airline *G flying SK economy class so many times over the years that I had more or less given up on trying to use partner airlines*G status for SK FastTrack security when flying SK in economy class from CPH and ARN.

At ARN, the Amex Cent and Plat cards get me FastTrack security regardless of carrier, and the same for GOT, MMX, HEL. Not sure if CPH is the last hold out of the big 4 Continental Scandinavian airports when it comes to those Amex cards and expedited security screening, but CPH is the one where I would most welcome a change while OSL doesn’t matter as much to me.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 20, 2020 at 4:18 pm
Old Jan 21, 2020, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
It can’t have been always, as I have been denied FastTrack by SK@CPH as a BD*G/CO*G/A3*G/UA*G/O6*G flying SK economy class.

SK Fast Track at CPH and ARN denied me access as partner airline *G flying SK economy class so many times over the years that I had more or less given up on trying to use partner airlines*G status for SK FastTrack security when flying SK in economy class from CPH and ARN.

At ARN, the Amex Cent and Plat cards get me FastTrack security regardless of carrier, and the same for GOT, MMX, HEL. Not sure if CPH is the last hold out of the big 4 Continental Scandinavian airports when it comes to those Amex cards and expedited security screening, but CPH is the one where I would most welcome a change while OSL doesn’t matter as much to me.
So this is what happened:

Went to SK fast track and shower my boarding pass to a staff member. She told me that “CPH fasttrack is the CPH Express lane by the main security checkpoint”.
I thought it sounded weird but walked there and tried to scan my BP in the express lane. It denied me entry and a nice staff member asked to see my BP. She told me to go back to SK!

Explained they had me denied me entry and sent me to CPH express. She then had me scan my BP in the regular line and proceeded to let me through the express lane. It seemed very “ad hoc” so there’s definitely some confusion around this.

I have another SK flight from CPH a few weeks from now. Will try challenge the SK fast track people a little more then.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 1:20 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
So this is what happened:

Went to SK fast track and shower my boarding pass to a staff member. She told me that “CPH fasttrack is the CPH Express lane by the main security checkpoint”.
I thought it sounded weird but walked there and tried to scan my BP in the express lane. It denied me entry and a nice staff member asked to see my BP. She told me to go back to SK!

Explained they had me denied me entry and sent me to CPH express. She then had me scan my BP in the regular line and proceeded to let me through the express lane. It seemed very “ad hoc” so there’s definitely some confusion around this.

I have another SK flight from CPH a few weeks from now. Will try challenge the SK fast track people a little more then.
At CPH, there is no Gold/Fast Track benefit for all *Gs flying * airlines in economy class.

Nor is there any of that benefit for all *Gs at ARN.

At OSL, however, there is Gold/Fast Track for all *Gs flying * airlines in economy class out of OSL; but the *Gs on SK get the SK FastTrack while *Gs on other * carriers (beside SK) use a a separate priority security screening access. At least according to this:

https://www.staralliance.com/en/gold-track

So SK@CPH seems worse than SK@OSL in regards to granting priority screening to partner airline *Gs.

And CPH is worse than ARN in regards to granting priority screening to Amex Platinum and Centurion card holders.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.