Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS & EuroBonus Introduction / Frequently Asked Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 10, 2015, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Nick Art
Introduction to SAS & Eurobonus / Frequently Asked Questions

Introduction

Scandinavian Airlines System (for short SAS, IATA code SK) is the flag carrier airline of Scandinavia. It's owned for 71% by private owners and 29% by the governments of Sweden (1/7th) and Denmark (1/7th). The government of Norway has recently sold its stake in SAS.

SAS mainly flies to destinations in Europe, particularly within Scandinavia, but also operates on a few long haul routes to Asia and the USA.

SAS is part of the StarAlliance network and has in addition codeshare operations with several airlines.

Fleet
The fleet of SAS consists of mainly short haul material, mainly A320neos, but also several variants of the Airbus A320 and Boeing 737 families, although the latter are diminishing in number.

Bombardier CRJ regional jets and ATR turboprops are operated for SAS by the Irish airline Cityjet and Estonian airline XFly. A small fleet of Embraer 195 are operated by subsidiary SAS Link out of Copenhagen.

A fleet of A320neo aircraft is close to being fully delivered to Irish-registered subsidiary SAS Connect (formerly SAS Ireland).

For long haul operations, SAS uses the Airbus A330-300 and A350-900.

An up to date overview of the SAS fleet can be found here.

Hubs and Focus Cities
SAS has three hubs:
Copenhagen (CPH),
Stockholm (ARN) and
Oslo Gardermoen (OSL).

In addition,
Bergen (BGO),
Stavanger (SVG),
Trondheim (TRD) and
Gřteborg Landvetter (GOT)
have been defined as focus cities.

Service classes

Instead of the traditional Economy Class, Economy Extra Class and Business Class, SAS has made up its own service class system.

Short haul
On all short haul, SAS serves the following classes
  • SAS Go is what should resemble regular economy. The following is included in SAS Go
    • 23 kg. luggage
    • on line check in and on site check in
    • Buy on board (coffee and tea are included in the ticket price)
    • seat selection (may come with additional costs)
  • SAS Plus is a hybrid form of economy extra and business class and includes the following features
    • seating in the front of the plane
    • no guaranteed free middle seat
    • choice of food and beverages from the on board menu is included
    • priority check in counter usage
    • fast track security where applicable
    • priority luggage labels on your hold luggage
    • higher point earnings
    • lounge access where available
    • priority boarding where applied

Experience teaches that Plus, with the exception of full flex tickets, is not considered as a business class fare by any of the airline partners of SAS. As a result, if someone books a flight in SAS plus with a partner airline, the chance is quite big to end up in regular economy. The same goes for re-routings on partner airlines. This also may affect lounge access on Plus tickets: not all partner airlines may allow Plus ticket holders in their lounges.

Frequent Flyer Program / EuroBonus
SAS has its own frequent flier program called EuroBonus. It has been around since 1992. EuroBonus offers frequent fliers the possibilities to earn points. These points can be used to obtain status and /or to save for award travel or products from the gift shop.

After subscribing to EuroBonus, the qualification period starts running. This is an period of 12 months from the month of subscription to the end of the 12th month thereafter. This cycle repeats itself every year.

For example, if someone subscribes in October, his or her qualification period runs from October to September the next year (both inclusive).

Membership levels
EuroBonus offers five levels in its program:
Qualifying segments can be earned on all flights flown by
  • SAS, with the exception of SAS flights with numbers ranging 3000 - 3999 and 6000 - 9999. More information can be found here
  • Widerře, with the exception of all flights within Norway that are carried out on PSO agreements. An overview of eligible routes can be found here.

For point earnings, please see below.

Point earnings
EuroBonus offers 2 kinds of points:
  • Basic points
    These are points that count towards membership levels.
  • Points for use (sometimes referred to as Extra points) These are the points that can be used for award travel and as a currency for buying products.

The validity of points varies and is based on the type of point and the membership level.
  • Basic points are valid during one qualification period.
  • Points for use (sometimes referred to as Extra points) are valid for 5 years for all memeber levels except Diamond and Pandion: those levels have no point validity. After losing Pandion or Diamond level benefits the counter for validity is reset to 5 years.

Basic points can be earned on all flights operated by
  • SAS. All flights, with the exception of flights with number 3000 - 3999 and 6000 - 9999
  • Widerře. All flights, with the exception of PSO routes. An overview of eligible routes can be found here
  • Atlantic Airways. Please note that no points are earned on flight numbers RC001-399 and RC1000-9999.
  • StarAlliance partners. Point earnings is possible on all StarAlliance partners. Please note that not all booking classes may be eligible on all carriers. A detailed overview of earnings per airline can be found here.*

* Please note that only 'points for use' can be earned on AirBaltic and Ethiad Airways and only on selected routes.

Booking class
Critical for the determination of how many points will be earned is the booking class in which a flight is booked. A booking class is represented by a single character and can vary per flight segment in your booking.

A regular SAS booking via the SAS website doesn't explicitly state the booking class in the reservation, although it is possible to see in which class the booking will be done:

Step 1:
Select a suitable flight or routing and the available fares will show up. For flights fully operated by SK the booking site will show the points earned on the lower right side for each fare (1). Note that for Eurobonus Status members, the bonus % earned on flights is included in these calculations.

Step 2:
Click the (i) icon on the top of the fare (2). A popup will show up showing the fare rules. The letter is the booking class (3). In the case of more than one flight, the booking class for each flight is displayed in chronological order.

To check the booking classes later on, review the Electronic Itinerary SAS sent via mail:

Or check the booking classes directly under my bookings on the SAS website:

Star Alliance Benefits (for elites in other *A programs flying on SK)

Star Alliance Silver Benefits
You'll get nothing and like it?

Star Alliance Gold Benefits
Priority check-in: Yes
Fast-track security pass: Yes (for everyone on same itinerary; excludes SK-operated fast-track security)
Extra baggage allowance: Yes (HBO fares might be excluded)
Preferred seats: Yes
Lounge access: Yes (for traveler and one guest; SAS-operated or Star Alliance-affiliated lounges only)
Priority baggage handling: Yes
Priority standby: Yes
Priority boarding: Yes (for everyone on the same itinerary)

Print Wikipost

SAS & EuroBonus Introduction / Frequently Asked Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2016, 11:22 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
Discounted business requires you to have a Saturday->Sunday night in your journey, otherwise it doesn't show up as a fare.
If it helps, I am looking at OSL-EWR on June 17 (a Friday) and EWR-CPH on August 30 (a Tuesday). Business class fare on both legs on Google Flights is showing sub-USD 1,000 total, which I think is a great deal, but I am hesitant to book before knowing the policy on refunds (still need to clear schedule with work).
Old Jan 9, 2016, 12:28 pm

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
SAS Business Saver

Changes: Rebooking is permitted against fee. In case of upgrading to a higher fare, the difference between the fare paid and the higher fare will be added.

Refund: Ticket is refundable against fee before departure. Fuel surcharge is refundable before departure. Ticket and fuel surcharge are non-refundable after departure.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Can I guest in someone to an SAS lounge (in this case, in OSL) if they are not flying on SAS and not any level of Elite status? I am UA Platinum / *A Gold.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Can I guest in someone to an SAS lounge (in this case, in OSL) if they are not flying on SAS and not any level of Elite status? I am UA Platinum / *A Gold.
They need to be on a Star Alliance flight for you to invite them to the lounge. Any *A carrier will do.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 8:49 am

Programs: A3 *G; AC
I am travelling with SAS tickets from HEL to OSL (CityJet), then from OSL to KKN (SAS). I am Star Gold. The tickets are SAS Go. I know that I am allowed one piece of luggage on the CityJet flight. Does my Star Gold status allow me an extra bag on the CityJet flight? Also, later flying from KKN to TOS on Wideroe (SAS Go). From what I can tell by their website, I am allowed an extra bag on the Wideroe flight due to Star Gold Status. Can anyone give any confirmation of the latter? The same luggage will be flying these flights so I need to look at the most restrictive scenario. Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 10:13 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), SAS Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by hastuk
I am travelling with SAS tickets from HEL to OSL (CityJet), then from OSL to KKN (SAS). I am Star Gold. The tickets are SAS Go. I know that I am allowed one piece of luggage on the CityJet flight. Does my Star Gold status allow me an extra bag on the CityJet flight? Also, later flying from KKN to TOS on Wideroe (SAS Go). From what I can tell by their website, I am allowed an extra bag on the Wideroe flight due to Star Gold Status. Can anyone give any confirmation of the latter? The same luggage will be flying these flights so I need to look at the most restrictive scenario. Thanks in advance.
CityJet operates wet leases for SAS and the service on board is standard SAS. An extra bag is an alliance-wide benefit (the SAS website is down, but see here on the Wayback Machine for SAS's details). There shouldn't be any problem taking an additional piece of luggage. However, if you have bought a SAS Go Light ticket note that this does not include checked baggage, so with Star Gold you will get one bag only based on your status.

Note that on both the WX and WF flights you will probably have to put any larger-sized cabin bags on a trolley beside the aircraft steps, for delivery at the aircraft on arrival. Soft and squidgy bags are usually fine...
Old Jul 28, 2016, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by klmml
CityJet operates wet leases for SAS and the service on board is standard SAS. An extra bag is an alliance-wide benefit (the SAS website is down, but see here on the Wayback Machine for SAS's details). There shouldn't be any problem taking an additional piece of luggage. However, if you have bought a SAS Go Light ticket note that this does not include checked baggage, so with Star Gold you will get one bag only based on your status.

Note that on both the WX and WF flights you will probably have to put any larger-sized cabin bags on a trolley beside the aircraft steps, for delivery at the aircraft on arrival. Soft and squidgy bags are usually fine...
Thanks very much for this response. When I logged in to SAS before the site went down this afternoon, it said that I had 1 free bag of checked luggage. That may have been because my Star Gold number is included in the booking. I would like to take a second piece but that might not work. Thanks also for the info on cabin baggage. I am guessing I am restricted to 8 kg because that is what Wideroe will accept. Back to checked baggage: My ticket is booked into O class and clearly says 1 bag for free. Perhaps I can have an extra bag with the Star Gold status.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by klmml

Also, just clicked the link you provided and that is great. The ticket is definitely not SAS GoLight, it is SAS Go. So it looks like the additional bag will be a go due to *Gold status. Thanks, you have made my day!
Old Jul 28, 2016, 11:09 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), SAS Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by hastuk
My ticket is booked into O class and clearly says 1 bag for free.
I realise you've verified that you booked a non-"Light" fare, but for future reference and the benefit of others: the booking class doesn't say whether the fare is Light or not - but the fare basis usually (always?) ends in LIGHT if it's a light fare, e.g. LEOLIGHT, TEOLIGHT, TNRLIGHT, TERLIGHT, UERLIGHT, WERLIGHT, etc...
Old Aug 24, 2016, 3:52 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum
Hi,
I just want to check if I'm missing something.

According to SAS website, Singapore Airlines earns 200% of miles flown in business class (irrespective of booking class) and 45000 Basic Points are needed for Gold.

Based on KVS Availability Tool it seems that ticketed mileage for routing FRA-SIN-SYD would be 10299 miles. That would make return 20598 miles. Adding cabin bonus, this should be 41196. Is this how much basic points I'd get? I can't find any catch but it looks too good to be true (taking one return J flight and ending so close to *G - even one full fare business flight with Lufty within Europe would be enough to reach it).

The thing is, I might have a lot of cheapish economy flights in next year, hence *G could be really useful. But I won't fly premium cabins or longhaul that often - once or twice if I'm lucky. If I only make it to *S, LH is better (at least some lounge access - given that I'm based at VIE, preferring LH group flights is an option). However, there is no chance of making it to *G at LH. But if my calculation above is correct, SK Gold would be doable and as result, Eurobonus would be much better choice than Miles & More (any *G beats LH *S).
Old Aug 24, 2016, 5:05 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Yep that's how it works, been like that for years. One C trip to Oz will get you at least 80% of the way there. Do the trip in First and you're done. Mind that SQ does not have Business Saver fares so you'll be spending 5-6k EUR at least. The equivalent in spend can get you LH*G as well.

Last edited by FlyingMoose; Aug 24, 2016 at 5:11 am
Old Aug 24, 2016, 5:29 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum
Thank you very much, I'll look more into it.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 8:57 am

Programs: A3
Hi everyone,

I fly SAS quite often, but I use a different *A FFP (if that matters). I am having a problem with a ticket number because I did TLL-OSL on Adria, but then OSL-TXL on SAS, but only the Adria flight was getting picked up (they were the same booking). Who should I call first? SAS, Miles/Bonus, Kayak, etc?

Thanks!

Jacob
Old Oct 5, 2016, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by jacobsteuer1
Hi everyone,

I fly SAS quite often, but I use a different *A FFP (if that matters). I am having a problem with a ticket number because I did TLL-OSL on Adria, but then OSL-TXL on SAS, but only the Adria flight was getting picked up (they were the same booking). Who should I call first? SAS, Miles/Bonus, Kayak, etc?

Thanks!

Jacob
Did you try to retro-credit the flight with A3?

You need to find out if your OSL-TXL flight was in a eligible booking class for crediting to A3.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 10:38 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Question = from which level you will receive a luggage tag ?? is it a generic or personalized tag ??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.