Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS & EuroBonus Introduction / Frequently Asked Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 10, 2015, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Nick Art
Introduction to SAS & Eurobonus / Frequently Asked Questions

Introduction

Scandinavian Airlines System (for short SAS, IATA code SK) is the flag carrier airline of Scandinavia. It's owned for 71% by private owners and 29% by the governments of Sweden (1/7th) and Denmark (1/7th). The government of Norway has recently sold its stake in SAS.

SAS mainly flies to destinations in Europe, particularly within Scandinavia, but also operates on a few long haul routes to Asia and the USA.

SAS is part of the StarAlliance network and has in addition codeshare operations with several airlines.

Fleet
The fleet of SAS consists of mainly short haul material, mainly A320neos, but also several variants of the Airbus A320 and Boeing 737 families, although the latter are diminishing in number.

Bombardier CRJ regional jets and ATR turboprops are operated for SAS by the Irish airline Cityjet and Estonian airline XFly. A small fleet of Embraer 195 are operated by subsidiary SAS Link out of Copenhagen.

A fleet of A320neo aircraft is close to being fully delivered to Irish-registered subsidiary SAS Connect (formerly SAS Ireland).

For long haul operations, SAS uses the Airbus A330-300 and A350-900.

An up to date overview of the SAS fleet can be found here.

Hubs and Focus Cities
SAS has three hubs:
Copenhagen (CPH),
Stockholm (ARN) and
Oslo Gardermoen (OSL).

In addition,
Bergen (BGO),
Stavanger (SVG),
Trondheim (TRD) and
Gřteborg Landvetter (GOT)
have been defined as focus cities.

Service classes

Instead of the traditional Economy Class, Economy Extra Class and Business Class, SAS has made up its own service class system.

Short haul
On all short haul, SAS serves the following classes
  • SAS Go is what should resemble regular economy. The following is included in SAS Go
    • 23 kg. luggage
    • on line check in and on site check in
    • Buy on board (coffee and tea are included in the ticket price)
    • seat selection (may come with additional costs)
  • SAS Plus is a hybrid form of economy extra and business class and includes the following features
    • seating in the front of the plane
    • no guaranteed free middle seat
    • choice of food and beverages from the on board menu is included
    • priority check in counter usage
    • fast track security where applicable
    • priority luggage labels on your hold luggage
    • higher point earnings
    • lounge access where available
    • priority boarding where applied

Experience teaches that Plus, with the exception of full flex tickets, is not considered as a business class fare by any of the airline partners of SAS. As a result, if someone books a flight in SAS plus with a partner airline, the chance is quite big to end up in regular economy. The same goes for re-routings on partner airlines. This also may affect lounge access on Plus tickets: not all partner airlines may allow Plus ticket holders in their lounges.

Frequent Flyer Program / EuroBonus
SAS has its own frequent flier program called EuroBonus. It has been around since 1992. EuroBonus offers frequent fliers the possibilities to earn points. These points can be used to obtain status and /or to save for award travel or products from the gift shop.

After subscribing to EuroBonus, the qualification period starts running. This is an period of 12 months from the month of subscription to the end of the 12th month thereafter. This cycle repeats itself every year.

For example, if someone subscribes in October, his or her qualification period runs from October to September the next year (both inclusive).

Membership levels
EuroBonus offers five levels in its program:
Qualifying segments can be earned on all flights flown by
  • SAS, with the exception of SAS flights with numbers ranging 3000 - 3999 and 6000 - 9999. More information can be found here
  • Widerře, with the exception of all flights within Norway that are carried out on PSO agreements. An overview of eligible routes can be found here.

For point earnings, please see below.

Point earnings
EuroBonus offers 2 kinds of points:
  • Basic points
    These are points that count towards membership levels.
  • Points for use (sometimes referred to as Extra points) These are the points that can be used for award travel and as a currency for buying products.

The validity of points varies and is based on the type of point and the membership level.
  • Basic points are valid during one qualification period.
  • Points for use (sometimes referred to as Extra points) are valid for 5 years for all memeber levels except Diamond and Pandion: those levels have no point validity. After losing Pandion or Diamond level benefits the counter for validity is reset to 5 years.

Basic points can be earned on all flights operated by
  • SAS. All flights, with the exception of flights with number 3000 - 3999 and 6000 - 9999
  • Widerře. All flights, with the exception of PSO routes. An overview of eligible routes can be found here
  • Atlantic Airways. Please note that no points are earned on flight numbers RC001-399 and RC1000-9999.
  • StarAlliance partners. Point earnings is possible on all StarAlliance partners. Please note that not all booking classes may be eligible on all carriers. A detailed overview of earnings per airline can be found here.*

* Please note that only 'points for use' can be earned on AirBaltic and Ethiad Airways and only on selected routes.

Booking class
Critical for the determination of how many points will be earned is the booking class in which a flight is booked. A booking class is represented by a single character and can vary per flight segment in your booking.

A regular SAS booking via the SAS website doesn't explicitly state the booking class in the reservation, although it is possible to see in which class the booking will be done:

Step 1:
Select a suitable flight or routing and the available fares will show up. For flights fully operated by SK the booking site will show the points earned on the lower right side for each fare (1). Note that for Eurobonus Status members, the bonus % earned on flights is included in these calculations.

Step 2:
Click the (i) icon on the top of the fare (2). A popup will show up showing the fare rules. The letter is the booking class (3). In the case of more than one flight, the booking class for each flight is displayed in chronological order.

To check the booking classes later on, review the Electronic Itinerary SAS sent via mail:

Or check the booking classes directly under my bookings on the SAS website:

Star Alliance Benefits (for elites in other *A programs flying on SK)

Star Alliance Silver Benefits
You'll get nothing and like it?

Star Alliance Gold Benefits
Priority check-in: Yes
Fast-track security pass: Yes (for everyone on same itinerary; excludes SK-operated fast-track security)
Extra baggage allowance: Yes (HBO fares might be excluded)
Preferred seats: Yes
Lounge access: Yes (for traveler and one guest; SAS-operated or Star Alliance-affiliated lounges only)
Priority baggage handling: Yes
Priority standby: Yes
Priority boarding: Yes (for everyone on the same itinerary)

Print Wikipost

SAS & EuroBonus Introduction / Frequently Asked Questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:58 am

Star Alliance Gold... maybe a free bag, but you'll probably have to retrieve it in ARN and recheck
Old Mar 23, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by w0r1dtrave1er
Star Alliance Gold... maybe a free bag, but you'll probably have to retrieve it in ARN and recheck
No free bag for *G on light tickets. However, they'd most likely check it through.
Old May 10, 2019, 7:34 am
p78
Suspended

Programs: BA Silver, Aegan Gold, Hilton Diamond
why sas charge 50euro for redemption flights on star alliance partners....I thought what it's good to credit to sas flights becouse of pooling miles but with this is nightmare
in Europe is cheaper to buy flights instead to book with points....
Old May 10, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
50 EUR flights are rare intra-Europe on *A. And in this rare case they are, don't use points. Points are more useful for buying expensive flights.
Old May 10, 2019, 10:42 am
Suspended

what about:
Refundable up to 1 working day before departure
do SAS charge for it?

and the same for rebooking, do they charge extra?
Rebooking permitted up to 1 working day before departure
Old May 10, 2019, 11:58 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
SK doesn't charge for the cancellation, but nevertheless the booking fee of 50€ is gone.

AFAIK rebooking itself costs 15€ online and additionally 37,5€ by phone (no extra phone fee for EBDs). Naturally all prices are p.p.
Old May 21, 2019, 12:34 pm

Anyone know if I'll get pajamas on LAX-ARN flight? Thanks!
Old May 21, 2019, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by qofmiwok
Anyone know if I'll get pajamas on LAX-ARN flight? Thanks!
There are no pajamas in the SK world.
Old May 21, 2019, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by Jainzar
SK doesn't charge for the cancellation, but nevertheless the booking fee of 50€ is gone.
Just booked a *A award on the phone since their new "we send you a confirmation SMS"-thingy didn't work and the agent told me: Only free cancellation within 24 hours, after that 450 SEK/person.
Old May 21, 2019, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by fassy
Just booked a *A award on the phone since their new "we send you a confirmation SMS"-thingy didn't work and the agent told me: Only free cancellation within 24 hours, after that 450 SEK/person.
Just what I wrote, they don't charge for the cancellation, but no refund of the booking fee. In SEK the booking/service fee is 450 and in EUR 50 p.p.
Old May 21, 2019, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Jainzar
Just what I wrote, they don't charge for the cancellation, but no refund of the booking fee. In SEK the booking/service fee is 450 and in EUR 50 p.p.
Ah, that makes more sense. The agent said "cancellation after 24 hours will be 450 SEK/person" but did not explain it would be the booking fee.
Old May 30, 2019, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
I don't want to earn points on this trip

When I was intending to book a trip on SAS via their website, I've seen a button that has the description "I don't want to earn points on this trip" after entering FQTV details.
I'm *G on TK but the booking class that I plan to fly refers to %25 miles on M&S, however, on other FQTV programs the same booking class refers up to %100 miles.
I am planning to use the privileges of *G onboard the itinerary but not credit miles to the *G account, instead, I plan to credit those flights to another *A FFP.

So, does this button mean that "I want to benefit from my FFP advantages but not earn miles."
Old May 31, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: EBG, M&M SEN, FB Gold
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
When I was intending to book a trip on SAS via their website, I've seen a button that has the description "I don't want to earn points on this trip" after entering FQTV details.
I'm *G on TK but the booking class that I plan to fly refers to %25 miles on M&S, however, on other FQTV programs the same booking class refers up to %100 miles.
I am planning to use the privileges of *G onboard the itinerary but not credit miles to the *G account, instead, I plan to credit those flights to another *A FFP.

So, does this button mean that "I want to benefit from my FFP advantages but not earn miles."
This means that you will not receive any points at all. This is a possibility to say "no thanks" to points as some travellers, mainly corporate travellers, are not allowed to earn points.

So please do not use it but do register the *A account you want the points to go to :-)
Old Jun 1, 2019, 2:04 am

I am considering booking an award ticket from United from Asia to US of which the last leg will be an SAS flight from ARN. I have *Gold status.
Will I get any perks on SAS (like extra legroom)?
How is SAS long haul?
Old Jun 1, 2019, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by irenem
I am considering booking an award ticket from United from Asia to US of which the last leg will be an SAS flight from ARN. I have *Gold status.
Will I get any perks on SAS (like extra legroom)?
How is SAS long haul?
Apart from bulkhead and emergency exit rows, there are no extra legroom seats on SK. These are available to SK *G members, and often reported that it applies to general *G as well.

From a soft product perspective, it is quite basic. Soft drinks, and one alcoholic drink is available for the meals. In between, anything but coffee, tea, and water is at a charge.
irenem likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.