Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

OptionTown upgrade for cash + points tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2015, 5:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond, SAS Diamond (*A Gold)

Has anyone purchased and received an OptionTown upgrade on a cash+points ticket?

I recently purchased a CPH-EWR cash+points ticket in SAS Plus. In the ticket PDF it says class B like it was a normal cash ticket. Also the ticket looks exactly the same as if it was a cash ticket.

The question is whether OptionTown can distinguish between a ticket paid with cash vs paid with cash + points?

It was not a problem to purchase the upgrade on OT. Just wondering if it will affect my chances of an upgrade
Old Mar 8, 2015, 5:57 am

Very short and precise answer: 'yes' you can bid on the upgrade but 'no' it won't clear
Old Mar 8, 2015, 6:23 am

Programs: SAS/A* DIAMOND/GOLD, GHA Black, HHonors Diamond
I just bought one similar, as it was only 76.000 points and around 100 dkr. in plus. Will I accumulate points on the ticket? Surely not..
Old Mar 8, 2015, 6:23 am

Programs: SAS
Originally Posted by fassy
Very short and precise answer: 'yes' you can bid on the upgrade but 'no' it won't clear
Are you 100% about that ? I´ve put in similar Option Town bids on CPH-ORD so I really hope it isn´t so.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond, SAS Diamond (*A Gold)
Thanks for your short and precise answer! This also was my best guess so far.

Could you elaborate a bit on your answer? For you this seems quite clear, but for me ordering this OT upgrade has been as ordering any normal cash update...
Old Mar 8, 2015, 8:13 am

Programs: Kimpton Inner Circle; IHG Spire elite; Marriott & SPG Gold, r
I tried this last year. We had been successful on all previous bids [all cash tickets] for 3 other trips.

This combo ticket will NOT get upgrade. Optiontown happily took our money, several months in advance. [They did refund our money pretty quickly without any action on our part. That was seamless.]

For a short time, a day before our flight home, we got email saying we had gotten upgrade, but then it never changed on booking. When we got to airport @ CPH, the agent at check in tried to track down what happened. They couldn't figure out what happened. It went up the chain of command pretty far before it was officially determined that these do not get upgrade via Optiontown. We did end up paying cash for upgrade from Go to Go Plus at the gate, and then the nice agent there upgrade us to Business. But don't count on that happening.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 10:50 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by don_hansen
I just bought one similar, as it was only 76.000 points and around 100 dkr. in plus. Will I accumulate points on the ticket? Surely not..
You earn regular points on a cash+points ticket as it is essentially a revenue ticket.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 11:37 am

Programs: Kimpton Inner Circle; IHG Spire elite; Marriott & SPG Gold, r
Yes, you earn points.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 3:52 pm

Programs: SAS/A* DIAMOND/GOLD, GHA Black, HHonors Diamond
Awesome. So when I buy a Plus ticket for 76k points + 100 dkr, I'll get 5000 points return. That's decent.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 3:48 am

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
I seriously don't understand why SAS and OptionTown don't get a proper agreement on tickets that can't be upgraded. This is in fact misleading customers and taking advantage of them (you pay a non-refundable fee to OT anyway) which is a punishable crime.

Not only cash + points tickets can't be upgraded via OT, also any service out of Tokyo shouldn't be eligible for OT upgrades, as the Japanese government considers this a form of gambling, which is prohibited.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 4:20 am

Easy fix, book those tickets in special booking classes clearly identified as points + cash.

As it is right now, OT has no way of knowing the fare has been paid with points.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 10:03 am

Programs: TK*G OZ*G AA Plat
Note the other direction can work. I used OT to have my Eco- ticket upgraded to Eco+. Then I did an upgrade with points at the gate (well, at the lounge in CPH) from Eco+ to C. I was charged the point value for an upgrade from Eco+ to C, so I got the benefit of my paid OT upgrade also.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 11:02 am

Upgrade with points at the gate or check-in also works with the points+cash tickets of the agent is willing or just doesn't care.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 8:36 am
BSJ

Programs: SK Diamond
Originally Posted by Frequie
Has anyone purchased and received an OptionTown upgrade on a cash+points ticket?

I recently purchased a CPH-EWR cash+points ticket in SAS Plus. In the ticket PDF it says class B like it was a normal cash ticket. Also the ticket looks exactly the same as if it was a cash ticket.

The question is whether OptionTown can distinguish between a ticket paid with cash vs paid with cash + points?

It was not a problem to purchase the upgrade on OT. Just wondering if it will affect my chances of an upgrade
It is actually possible, I just returned from a trip to PEK, partially paid with points. I bid on an upgrade from Plus to Business on my return flight, and it came through.

Moreover, I received an e- mail from SAS four days before my return flight saying: " Do you travel a little more comfortable to Copenhagen ? " and then a link to OT.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 8:44 am

Then they changed the policy, good to know!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.