Wiki Posts
Search

Danish cabin crew strikes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2015, 2:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
Danish cabin crew strikes

Just flew ORD-ARN and heard in the lounge that the evening ORD-CPH flight was cancelled. While sas.se is down (again), I see that flysas.com has a warning that traffic delays are due to a wildcat strike amongst the Danish cabin crew. Anyone know what the fuss is about?
Old Feb 28, 2015, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
The transfer of the CRJ900 and crew from mainline to the old Cimber AOC that SK acquired with the remains of Cimber.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 2:42 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
It seems that the Austrian scenario is being realized. In general, if the management succeeds this likely means good things for us. I see it as the right movement on the way out of pre-bankruptcy state.

(although since I am most often on CRJ routes, I am worried whether the service won't become worse if they now become a Cimber service).
Old Feb 28, 2015, 2:42 am
Suspended

SAS has taken over Cimber Air which has a more modern work agreement with the union. SAS plans to transfer some cabin crew to the Cimber division and thus agreement, which sparks strikes.

In the end, the move will happen anyway and such moves will keep happening until cabin crew work at market rates. Being a stewardesse should never be a DKK 35,000/month kind of job.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 2:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by wazow
It seems that the Austrian scenario is being realized. In general, if the management succeeds this likely means good things for us. I see it as the right movement on the way out of pre-bankruptcy state.

(although since I am most often on CRJ routes, I am worried whether the service won't become worse if they now become a Cimber service).
Don't worry; aside from farting on you as they walk past or outright yelling abusive insults at passengers throughout the flight, it cannot get any worse.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 3:08 am

Where is the limit for how low salaries should go? Ryanair standards? DY is opening Longhaul routes ex-EU using the Irish loophole to hire in non-EU staff.

Should all EU (and US for that matter) airlines end up with salaries like what they are in the far east to stay competitive? I think I can sympathize with their fight for decent work conditions. This is a major battle in the globalized world where you see the price of globalization. It needs to be dealt with on a WTO or government scale. The cabin crew are fighting a valiant battle in my view.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 3:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GreatDane
Where is the limit for how low salaries should go? Ryanair standards? DY is opening Longhaul routes ex-EU using the Irish loophole to hire in non-EU staff.

Should all EU (and US for that matter) airlines end up with salaries like what they are in the far east to stay competitive? I think I can sympathize with their fight for decent work conditions. This is a major battle in the globalized world where you see the price of globalization. It needs to be dealt with on a WTO or government scale. The cabin crew are fighting a valiant battle in my view.

To make a practical example; salaries should be around DKK 20,000/month for a FA that flies around 120 hours a month (160,33 being the Danish full-time norm, but their job includes some wasteful time as well). 120 hours is far above what they fly today - with salaries pushing above the outrageous 40,000 limit when you add the little things on top of their salaries.

It's a low-skill and attractive job (a rather rare combination) and the salaries will (or: should) reflect that. If they all quit, I can guarantee you that we'd have no problem hiring an entirely new roster (on new conditions; 20,000/month with 120 flying hours) within a few weeks.

The limit is, of course, what the market will clear. These union agreements are just delaying the inevitable while they're increasing the risk there won't be a SAS to work for at all. Not that I expect anyone but a few fellow businesspeople to actually understand this.

Last edited by FlyerTalker01565; Feb 28, 2015 at 3:30 am
Old Feb 28, 2015, 3:35 am

Sure about the 40k?

Then I'm sure I am underpayed in relation to that... Comparing my working hours, responsibilities and years of university education as well as professional experience I guess my salary should by at least three times higher than it is if I see such wages

If that is true I can imagine why SK has a real issue keeping competitive pricing.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 3:39 am

Programs: EBS
Originally Posted by CKCPH
To make a practical example; salaries should be around DKK 20,000/month for a FA that flies around 120 hours a month (160,33 being the Danish full-time norm, but their job includes some wasteful time as well). 120 hours is far above what they fly today - with salaries pushing above the outrageous 40,000 limit when you add the little things on top of their salaries.

It's a low-skill and attractive job (a rather rare combination) and the salaries will (or: should) reflect that. If they all quit, I can guarantee you that we'd have no problem hiring an entirely new roster (on new conditions; 20,000/month with 120 flying hours) within a few weeks.
I assume you are talking about block hours when you say flying hours. 120 block hours per month is not allowed, and regulated by EU-OPS.

An operator shall ensure that the total block times of the flights on which an individual crew member is assigned as an
operating crew member does not exceed
(a) 900 block hours in a calendar year;
(b) 100 block hours in any 28 consecutive days.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 3:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fassy
Sure about the 40k?

Then I'm sure I am underpayed in relation to that... Comparing my working hours, responsibilities and years of university education as well as professional experience I guess my salary should by at least three times higher than it is if I see such wages

If that is true I can imagine why SK has a real issue keeping competitive pricing.
Completely sure, although that'll be easier for you as a purser of course. Some of the details are ridiculous.

CAU doesn't release the agreements, but for a while the .docx document was to find on Google anyway (it might still be - but the HK agreement isn't what's covering the FAs). I knew this before, however, due to work projects where the CAU agreement was a reference case.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 4:30 am

35000 dkk a month, reported above is what a young professor at a university gets in Denmark with a guarantee of employment for 3 years only. He is just after an extremely competitive fight for this position (only few % succeed) and he is up for an even more competitive fight in 3 years to survive. I fail to see how it is fair to pay the same to a waiter with a bit of security training.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 7:36 am

35000 dkk a month, reported above is what a young professor at a university gets in Denmark with a guarantee of employment for 3 years only. He is just after an extremely competitive fight for this position (only few % succeed) and he is up for an even more competitive fight in 3 years to survive. I fail to see how it is fair to pay the same to a waiter with a bit of security training.
Not that I agree on the comparison, but here are the university salaries in Copenhagen in 2010: http://universitetsavisen.dk/politik/lonstatistik

Quite a bit above what you quote. You can add pension and other benefits to the the yearly salaries stated.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 8:10 am

Sorry, I can't believe that...

According to SK the starting salary for pilots are:
DKK: 27 730
SEK: 28 395
NOK: 29 940

Didn't find official numbers for FAs but a couple of average reports on cabin crew salaries at SK show up with up to 150DKK/hour so we are talking about perhaps 25k DKK. Probably there are some long haul pursers which earn 40k but I would guess the large majority don't make much money.

Or another quick googling turned out: "Compententive salary after test period (6months) 19.223,- Kroner (aprox 2600 Eur / 3750 Usd. 150 hours per month (130 kroner/hour, 25 usd/hour)" (from http://www.gayviator.com/forum/index.php?topic=2300.0, hmmm gayviator? Anyway...)

Reminds me about the reports in Germany that a LH Pilot earns 250k a year... while the pilots i know just can wonder who came up with those numbers as they earn less than half of it - even as long haul crew

Last edited by fassy; Feb 28, 2015 at 8:16 am
Old Feb 28, 2015, 8:18 am

Not that I agree on the comparison, but here are the university salaries in Copenhagen in 2010: http://universitetsavisen.dk/politik/lonstatistik

Quite a bit above what you quote. You can add pension and other benefits to the the yearly salaries stated.
I stand corrected. According to the page you link to a young prof (adjunkt in denmark) get 42 kkr a month, so a bit more.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 8:51 am

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
So now both DY and SK are on strike. Any chance that we can still be reached in Scandinavia?

Does anyone know how long this strike will last?

If some of the salaries mentioned here are somehow correct then I'll need to talk with my boss on Monday and demand my salary to be doubled at least. Quadrupled would even be better.

Anyway, pilot salaries of below 30000 NOK per month seem a bit little.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.