Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

What's with the CPH lounge lately?

What's with the CPH lounge lately?

Old Mar 22, 15, 5:07 am
  #31  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles Diamond, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
Posts: 1,922
Originally Posted by fassy View Post
True enough the TK IST or also the TG lounge in BKK are nice but comparing Asian or middle eastern airport lounges with European or Scandinavian ones is hardly fair. They can provide stellar service with a tiny fragment of the cost associated with it.
Ugh, you can do the same in Scandinavia just fine. Cheap staff is also available in Denmark and Sweden, just need to play it right. It doesn't explain for example why the BA Galleries lounges do have reasonable and accessible warm food options, so it is perfectly possible in Europe. And I'm talking about the regular BA lounge, not the Galleries First. It takes 1 maybe 2 headcount during the day to cover the food.

Why should a airline in Europe bear that cost for the huge host of freeloaders flashing shiny *A Gold cards and keep the ticket price down? (not what I think, but what I think, they think )
Premium lounge can be improved and limited to their own Business and top tier elites. Even requiring Diamond/Gold to fly at least Plus.

There are plenty of options to improve the lounge and food situation without taking a financial hit, SK just isn't looking at them.
FlyingMoose is offline  
Old Mar 22, 15, 6:59 am
  #32  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: A3*G
Posts: 114
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose View Post
Premium lounge can be improved and limited to their own Business and top tier elites. Even requiring Diamond/Gold to fly at least Plus.

There are plenty of options to improve the lounge and food situation without taking a financial hit, SK just isn't looking at them.
If they do that (essentially mimicking what Lufthansa are doing with Germanwings), then I'm out of here . Seriously, there's plenty of oneworld flights available to destinations I fly ex CPH at competitive pricing - the only reason I'm not considering them is *G perks of which lounge access is quite important to me.

Now whether that means they will take a financial hit I'm in no position to tell. They will definitely lose revenue.
ObserverA3 is offline  
Old Mar 22, 15, 9:14 am
  #33  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: SAS Diamond (Star Alliance Gold), BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum.
Posts: 624
Originally Posted by ObserverA3 View Post
If they do that (essentially mimicking what Lufthansa are doing with Germanwings), then I'm out of here . Seriously, there's plenty of oneworld flights available to destinations I fly ex CPH at competitive pricing - the only reason I'm not considering them is *G perks of which lounge access is quite important to me.

Now whether that means they will take a financial hit I'm in no position to tell. They will definitely lose revenue.
I am going to be a little frank here, but hearing an A3 *G <complain> about the benefits you're getting of your card is a little ironic. It's airlines like Aegean that hand out *G cards like candy that caused this mess to begin with (and SAS before the new earnings chart).

A3 has an impossible number of *Gs. Freeloading much?

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 31, 15 at 5:52 am Reason: bypassing profanity filter
FlyingDanishPenguin is offline  
Old Mar 22, 15, 9:50 am
  #34  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: A3*G
Posts: 114
Originally Posted by CKCPH View Post
I am going to be a little frank here, but hearing an A3 *G b1tch about the benefits you're getting of your card is a little ironic. It's airlines like Aegean that hand out *G cards like candy that caused this mess to begin with (and SAS before the new earnings chart).

A3 has an impossible number of *Gs. Freeloading much?
I guess my point is that SAS benefits from my A3 card because the revenue for my flights would otherwise go to AB, BA, AY, or others for many of the flights I now take with SK. They are not even paying for my lounge visits - A3 does. Apparently, you disagree - that's fine. Not sure that personal attacks like "freeloading" are helpful in this context. And can you back up your claim that "this mess" (whatever that means) is caused by "airlines like Aegean (handing) out *G cards like candy" with facts pertaining to the use of SK lounges please?
ObserverA3 is offline  
Old Mar 22, 15, 9:55 am
  #35  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Programs: SK EBD (*G)
Posts: 2,103
Originally Posted by FFlash View Post
I agree on this, but not the pricing of food&drink
I disagree. The prices are far from the biggest issue. Lounges in CPH are the only places where the noise level does not make you tired and ineffective in 5 minutes. CPH must be one of the worst airports in the world for status-less pax. It pretty much forces you to spend time in a crowded mall. Just awfull. Free wifi and great restaurants are not changing anything here. It just makes the travel awfully exhausting.

I am not for the airport for food options. Travel is a necessary evil. I do not need fancy food, but quiet working conditions at the airport, so that I can use the time to the greatest benefits.

With all due respect, but my money has much more value downtown, where there are much better eating options than SK will ever be able to provide (even food in BA lounges is lower quality than in *cantines* of many Copenhagen companies).

I actually think that the current offer is not so far from the optimum. I am actually quite unhappy that the recent improvements in CPH lounges actually spoiled the interior visually (the interior design is now quite inconsistent). I would also like them to have more desks. Most working spaces tend to be taken when I use the lounge.
SK2751 is online now  
Old Mar 22, 15, 10:03 am
  #36  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: SAS Diamond (Star Alliance Gold), BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum.
Posts: 624
Originally Posted by ObserverA3 View Post
I guess my point is that SAS benefits from my A3 card because the revenue for my flights would otherwise go to AB, BA, AY, or others for many of the flights I now take with SK. They are not even paying for my lounge visits - A3 does. Apparently, you disagree - that's fine. Not sure that personal attacks like "freeloading" are helpful in this context. And can you back up your claim that "this mess" (whatever that means) is caused by "airlines like Aegean (handing) out *G cards like candy" with facts pertaining to the use of SK lounges please?
The point is that it's easier to get Star Alliance Gold Status through a Greek airline than it is to bring home an STD from a Greek holiday resort. That says a lot.

If fewer people crowded the lounge, fast track etc. SAS would be able to provide a better service to actual *G customers.

Sure, A3 pays a nominal fee, but it comes at the price of disgruntled high-rev customers (as seen here).
FlyingDanishPenguin is offline  
Old Mar 22, 15, 11:15 am
  #37  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: AGH
Posts: 5,053
@CKCPH

come down and relax... no need to be offensive here. Comparing to e.g. LH, SK also gives away the status very cheap. Even on A3 nowadays you have to either work out to trick the system (like others do in the other programs as well) or spend quite some significant time in the air which qualifies you as frequent flyer.

And that is not the point here. It is what you expect from a lounge and some people seem to expect a restaurant like catering which in my opinion is hard to do cost-effective in a high cost country like DK. Even a drop in numbers of people wouldn't make it very reasonable to offer high class food in the lounge. And by the way, when I see what some groups of people slurp away (wine, booze), they definitely get their value for the money (or to be more precise, for the status).

In my opinion they could remove all alcoholic stuff from the lounges and planes immediately. Nothing(*) is more disgusting than a group of fat guys stinking like hobos (and also behaving like such) around you on a long flight...

(*) Yes, there are some things... but those don't happen as often as the group of drunkards from CPH lounge, which is sadly a common thing I see
fassy is online now  
Old Mar 22, 15, 12:15 pm
  #38  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Programs: SK EBD (*G)
Posts: 2,103
For this reason I really like the SK policy of not (really) serving alcohol in lounges before lunch. What I see on morning flights from, say, WAW is disgusting. I am OK to suck in a G&T before a late night flight, or a beer with food for lunch/evening. But people having beer or stronger alcohols for breakfast, pretty much, just because they are "free" ...
SK2751 is online now  
Old Mar 22, 15, 2:14 pm
  #39  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: AGH
Posts: 5,053
I don't have a problem with people drinking (regardless of the time of day) if they stick to reasonable limits and behave. But when I see people filling water glasses full of brandy (or whatever string liquor) and run for a refill every 15 minutes something is wrong. And in CPH lounge I see this quite often (okay, not in the mornings )
fassy is online now  
Old Mar 23, 15, 12:23 pm
  #40  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: TYO
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 6,831
Aegean has made it slightly harder. It is now 48k (similar to SAS) to get gold unless you take 4 flights on Aegean. If that refers to segments then one trip with a connection is possible if you live in CPH. (I assume that they fly to CPH......)
gnaget is offline  
Old Mar 23, 15, 2:28 pm
  #41  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: HEL
Programs: Only Gold card I have is at F24Seven :D
Posts: 4,926
Originally Posted by fassy View Post
I don't have a problem with people drinking (regardless of the time of day) if they stick to reasonable limits and behave. But when I see people filling water glasses full of brandy (or whatever string liquor) and run for a refill every 15 minutes something is wrong. And in CPH lounge I see this quite often (okay, not in the mornings )
this behaviour would be very expected for us Finns, but actually I have noted this behaviour with my neighbour citizens. No offense here my beloved friends, just amusing myself here
FFlash is offline  
Old Mar 23, 15, 5:36 pm
  #42  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: SAS Diamond (Star Alliance Gold), BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum.
Posts: 624
Originally Posted by fassy View Post
@CKCPH come down and relax... no need to be offensive here.
Yes, yes, I know. I just have troubles taking A3 *Gs who complain like DYKWIAs seriously ... if you're based in Copenhagen and credit to A3, it's because you wouldn't be eligible for the *G perks through Northern European airlines.

And that's fine. It's the rules of the game, I knooow.

Comparing to e.g. LH, SK also gives away the status very cheap.
I agree. Compared to how much (or little) I fly, it's seriously weird to be qualifying for Diamond soon with several months to spare. I think I'm a fine Gold candidate, but I guess full flex Plus s/h and Plus/Biz for my rather infrequent l/h trips are pretty valuable to SK, so that's why I'm getting enough points for Diamond. I don't feel like some superelite flyer.

Even on A3 nowadays you have to either work out to trick the system (like others do in the other programs as well) or spend quite some significant time in the air which qualifies you as frequent flyer.
12,000 miles to become Gold after you've had it the first time? I have more change in my change jar in my kitchen than what it costs to buy 12,000 miles on A3, my friend. It's still not hard.

And by the way, when I see what some groups of people slurp away (wine, booze), they definitely get their value for the money (or to be more precise, for the status).
I'm going to cite you a lovely saying from Holberg. It's in Danish:

Når skidt kommer til ære, ved det ikke, hvordan det skal være - loosely translated as 'when dirt comes to honor, it doesn't know how to behave'. That's my word on that Oh, that's a lie ... it wouldn't be good without subtly reminding you how close to Sweden our airport in Copenhagen is ...

In my opinion they could remove all alcoholic stuff from the lounges and planes immediately.
Ordnung muss indeed sein, but I'm not sure that much Ordnung is good for anyone. I like a beer when I'm flying home after a long week. One, though. Not 10.
FlyingDanishPenguin is offline  
Old Mar 23, 15, 5:39 pm
  #43  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: SAS Diamond (Star Alliance Gold), BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum.
Posts: 624
Originally Posted by FFlash View Post
this behaviour would be very expected for us Finns, but actually I have noted this behaviour with my neighbour citizens. No offense here my beloved friends, just amusing myself here
Ah yes, this is something Finns and Danes can relate to each other on
FlyingDanishPenguin is offline  
Old Mar 24, 15, 2:59 am
  #44  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: CPH
Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
Posts: 7,829
Originally Posted by CKCPH View Post
Yes, yes, I know. I just have troubles taking A3 *Gs who complain like DYKWIAs seriously ... if you're based in Copenhagen and credit to A3, it's because you wouldn't be eligible for the *G perks through Northern European airlines.

And that's fine. It's the rules of the game, I knooow.



I agree. Compared to how much (or little) I fly, it's seriously weird to be qualifying for Diamond soon with several months to spare. I think I'm a fine Gold candidate, but I guess full flex Plus s/h and Plus/Biz for my rather infrequent l/h trips are pretty valuable to SK, so that's why I'm getting enough points for Diamond. I don't feel like some superelite flyer.



12,000 miles to become Gold after you've had it the first time? I have more change in my change jar in my kitchen than what it costs to buy 12,000 miles on A3, my friend. It's still not hard.



I'm going to cite you a lovely saying from Holberg. It's in Danish:

Når skidt kommer til ære, ved det ikke, hvordan det skal være - loosely translated as 'when dirt comes to honor, it doesn't know how to behave'. That's my word on that Oh, that's a lie ... it wouldn't be good without subtly reminding you how close to Sweden our airport in Copenhagen is ...



Ordnung muss indeed sein, but I'm not sure that much Ordnung is good for anyone. I like a beer when I'm flying home after a long week. One, though. Not 10.
We are based in CPH but we credited our miles to TK, we are TK Gold and we got it through actual flying but not status match. I'm not mad at them spitting out free Elite to everyone - they need to actually fly *A in order to enjoy the benefits. Just because I picked one programme doesn't mean that I don't qualify with other FFP in 'Northern Europe'. Also I don't have faith in SAS that they will survive for another 5-10 years.

This sounds like those at Marriott forum thinking that ALL UA gold fill up the lounges in all the Marriotts. If you don't like it, vote with your wallet, stay somewhere else.

Originally Posted by CKCPH View Post
Ah yes, this is something Finns and Danes can relate to each other on
Swedes too they really know how to take advantage of free bars CPH Marriott knows their needs and sell them lounge access. Saw them in the lounge - you don't even need to listen and you know they are Swedes. On Tk flights, the Swede behind me really order plenty of alcoholic drinks whenever a FA is serving.

I prefer quality than quantity.
nacho is offline  
Old Mar 28, 15, 2:09 pm
  #45  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 11,947
Originally Posted by fassy View Post
True enough the TK IST or also the TG lounge in BKK are nice but comparing Asian or middle eastern airport lounges with European or Scandinavian ones is hardly fair.
When I was last there a few weeks ago, TK's IST lounge was in Europe.

I believe it still is.

Johan
johan rebel is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: