Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Earning miles on Singapore airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2014, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: SAS EBG, BA Bronze, Thon Gold, Nordic Choice Silver

Hello all,

While I'm a very frequent flyer around Eurpoe with SAS, I rarely fly long-haul. So please forgive any ignorance in these questions!

I'm looking at flying from BGO-MEL, and this is most likely going to be with Singapore Airlines.

If I book with SAS, I have the option of Go or Go Flex. If It's Singapore airlines, there are many different options. Does anyone know what kind of quantity of miles I would earn for this journey? (BGO-CPH-SIN-MEL)
Looking at the Singapore airlines site, the booking classes have conditions like "10% miles" or "50% miles" etc. Does this apply to Eurobonus earnings too? I assume booking through SAS with Go/Flex, it's the usual 100% with SAS?

What's my best option here in terms of picking up the most miles?

Business/First class is out of the question, sadly.

Is there any other advantage booking through SAS, considering I'm a Eurobonus member, not a KrisFlyer member.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old Nov 8, 2014, 9:31 am

Programs: *G
Booking through SK will most likely grant you 0 miles (or 500 for BGO-CPH), maybe 50% if you're really lucky. GO / GO Flex might make a difference, but you can't find out without buying the ticket.
If you book on SQ site you'll have a chance of knowing, when you've chosen a routing and continue, you can see cabin& booking class.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 4:08 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Fares below Flexi Saver on SQ earn no miles on any other airline. So the 50% and 10% miles condition fares earn that on KrisFlyer and 0 miles on any other airline. In *A, metal matters so even if you book on SK site, you will likely get no miles.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by timlno
Looking at the Singapore airlines site, the booking classes have conditions like "10% miles" or "50% miles" etc. Does this apply to Eurobonus earnings too? I assume booking through SAS with Go/Flex, it's the usual 100% with SAS?
No, your assumptions are wrong. It is always the booking class of the actual carrier rather than the SK code share flight that determines how many miles you will receive, i.e. there is no difference in EB earnings whether you book on SQ webpage or sas.no. Actually, booking on sas.no is tricky bcoz you will only know the SK code share booking class (and not the actual SQ booking class which determines the number of EB points). Most likely you will get the lowest fares when booking on SQ webpage directly and then you will know the SQ booking class; this is the information you need.

Secondly, you need to look at the Eurobonus section at sas.no to see the earnings on SQ for the various booking classes. You can not use the information on SQ webpage to anything when you are a EB member; this information is only about earnings on SQ KF program which is different from EB - very misleading information for members of other FFP, I know... This is a very common mistake when trying to earn EB points for flights booked on the webpage of other carriers.

As stated above, most likely you will receive zero EB points on SQ unless your ticket is very expensive (as only the highest booking classes on SQ earn points). I suggest booking on TG via BKK, which most likely will earn you some EB points (unless booked on W or V class on TG). But again, you need to focus on the information about earnings on the various *A partners in the Eurobonus section of sas.no - you can not use information about earnings in other FFP (like KF on SQ, Miles&More on LH, etc) to anything when booking flights on the wepbages of orther carriers.

Last edited by SK AAR; Nov 8, 2014 at 10:07 pm
Old Nov 9, 2014, 10:42 am

Programs: SK-EBD*G, AF Ivory, Hertz Pres Circle, SPG, Carlson Concierge, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by SK AAR
As stated above, most likely you will receive zero EB points on SQ unless your ticket is very expensive (as only the highest booking classes on SQ earn points)
Not sure if that is correct anymore, you earn 100% of miles flown on ten different booking classes if crediting SQ flights to Eurobons, not all of them are normally that expensive.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 12:14 pm

It is not that difficult to find:
http://www.flysas.com/en/de/eurobonu...pore_airlines/
Old Nov 9, 2014, 3:39 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pswe
Not sure if that is correct anymore, you earn 100% of miles flown on ten different booking classes if crediting SQ flights to Eurobons, not all of them are normally that expensive.
There are many reasonably priced fare classes on SQ that will credit 100% to pretty much any *A FF program, but their cheapest fares will credit 0 to any program except for KrisFlyer.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by fassy
It said from 300 - I got tricked by that once. There is no how much I will earn when i fly with this booking class.

Why can't sk disclose the info properly? even TK listed it out propoerlyon their hopeless website.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by nacho
It said from 300 - I got tricked by that once. There is no how much I will earn when i fly with this booking class.

Why can't sk disclose the info properly? even TK listed it out propoerlyon their hopeless website.
it says 100% for all the listed economy fares (i think the lower ones listed are economy flex saver?)

Anyway this is so much better than it was 3 months ago, completely forgot about this "upgrade" to the earning rates!
Old Nov 11, 2014, 2:21 am

Just beware that most of the discount fares (at least in my experience) with SQ are N class that means no eurobonus. For that reason I seldom travel to Australia with SQ anymore. In any case, they are a fraction of the once great airline they used to be and they thumb their nose at Star Alliance gold members with a crappy lounge in Singapore and limited opportunity to preallocate seats etc. etc. etc.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 6:26 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
SQ is still great if you pay for their premium fares.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
SQ is still great if you pay for their premium fares.
I agree that SQ is great if you are flying their C or F. I tried their Y and it's disappointing compared to TK (older AC and worse food and IFE).

Their service is great but for a long haul flight all you need is sleep.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Hi everyone - I'm resurecting this thread now as I have finally booked the ticket and have more information. Perhaps someone can help now!

We are booked BGO-CPH-SIN-MEL and the same back, but starting in BNE. The SAS legs (BGO-CPH) are class V but the Singapore airlines legs are all booked in W.
It we are booked as "Flexi Saver" and it says 100% mileage accrual but that's obviously only Kris Flyer Miles I guess.
SAS website just says "From 300 points" which is next to useless.
The Kris Flyer amount is 20,800 miles.

Anyone have any ballpark figure? I can't imagine receiving 20,800 miles from SAS, but 300 seems a bit cheap :-p

Also, does it matter that the short legs are booked in V? (I didn't actually notice this when booking - it just said W.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by timlno
Hi everyone - I'm resurecting this thread now as I have finally booked the ticket and have more information. Perhaps someone can help now!

We are booked BGO-CPH-SIN-MEL and the same back, but starting in BNE. The SAS legs (BGO-CPH) are class V but the Singapore airlines legs are all booked in W.
It we are booked as "Flexi Saver" and it says 100% mileage accrual but that's obviously only Kris Flyer Miles I guess.
SAS website just says "From 300 points" which is next to useless.
The Kris Flyer amount is 20,800 miles.

Anyone have any ballpark figure? I can't imagine receiving 20,800 miles from SAS, but 300 seems a bit cheap :-p

Also, does it matter that the short legs are booked in V? (I didn't actually notice this when booking - it just said W.
SQ earnings in Y to EB:
Y, B, E, H, M, S, W, U, K, L (100%)
the from 300 is the minimum you can get per segment, so you'll get 100% on the SQ segments with SQ booking class W. I assume you booked on SQ website, or at least SQ ticket stock so it is the SQ boking class.
You can't count on the V class for the SK segment, you can call SAS and ask for the bookingclass they convert it to. Depending on that, you'll get 250/500 points to EB for that segment
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Thanks - that's useful info!

So... I knock off the 800 odd miles for the BGO-CPH-BGO sectors, but I will receive the full 20,000ish for the CPH-SIN-MEL and back?
Then, I contact SAS and ask them to convert the V class into either 250 or 500 points like as if I was booking through SAS?

And they all count towards status?
If so, I need to think of some mileage runs to do because I might make EBD!

Yes, I booked the whole trip through the SQ website.
Amazingly, the booking is already showing on my SAS app, having only put in my EB number during booking. I didn't expect that, knowing SAS' usual IT antics!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.