Bromma closing by year 2022

Old Oct 20, 2014, 4:33 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
SAS _should_ have flights to BMA - it's the LCY of Stockholm in my opinion. It's a lovely small efficient airport with (cheaper than ARN) parking next to the entrance in the middle of the city. I use it a lot for flying to Brussels and Helsinki which are unfortunately the only international routes aside from Billund it services but I have not ever had reason to travel there. I would use BMA for any destination over ARN in a heartbeat.

Especially for frequent travelers living on the south side of Stockholm using BMA safely shaves an hour of a trip and it you don't have to budget an additional 2 hours when having to traverse Essingeleden during rush hour, which is almost permanent these days during the week.

If anything they should increase flights in and out of Stockholm Bromma, at least adding routes to AMS, LHR and FRA. In paralel they should start working on making ARN more accessible and reducing the travel time for people who can't use the Arlanda Express.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 5:33 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond
Agree on all points, but they might need to do some creative fleet shuffling to meet the tougher noise restrictions at BMA.

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
SAS _should_ have flights to BMA - it's the LCY of Stockholm in my opinion. It's a lovely small efficient airport with (cheaper than ARN) parking next to the entrance in the middle of the city. I use it a lot for flying to Brussels and Helsinki which are unfortunately the only international routes aside from Billund it services but I have not ever had reason to travel there. I would use BMA for any destination over ARN in a heartbeat.

Especially for frequent travelers living on the south side of Stockholm using BMA safely shaves an hour of a trip and it you don't have to budget an additional 2 hours when having to traverse Essingeleden during rush hour, which is almost permanent these days during the week.

If anything they should increase flights in and out of Stockholm Bromma, at least adding routes to AMS, LHR and FRA. In paralel they should start working on making ARN more accessible and reducing the travel time for people who can't use the Arlanda Express.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 6:20 am

Nice thought, but to be honest, I'm not so sure that the Bromma terminal can cope with even more growth.
I flew out there two weeks ago on a Sunday evening and with 3 or 4 100 seaters leaving at roughly the same time, the departure area was more like a zoo with people standing in every corner and sitting at the floor.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 7:28 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Daner
Agree on all points, but they might need to do some creative fleet shuffling to meet the tougher noise restrictions at BMA.
Noise restrictions are an artificial limitation that the same government can lift just as easily.

Originally Posted by jobi
Nice thought, but to be honest, I'm not so sure that the Bromma terminal can cope with even more growth.
I flew out there two weeks ago on a Sunday evening and with 3 or 4 100 seaters leaving at roughly the same time, the departure area was more like a zoo with people standing in every corner and sitting at the floor.
Agreed, the terminal could do with some more space. Plenty of options though.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
SAS _should_ have flights to BMA - it's the LCY of Stockholm in my opinion. It's a lovely small efficient airport with (cheaper than ARN) parking next to the entrance in the middle of the city. I use it a lot for flying to Brussels and Helsinki which are unfortunately the only international routes aside from Billund it services but I have not ever had reason to travel there.
Don't forget that Estonian Air flies twice daily to Tallinn (on weekdays) from BMA. There used to be flights between BMA and LCY but it's probarbly about 7-8 years ago.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by SK989
Don't forget that Estonian Air flies twice daily to Tallinn (on weekdays) from BMA. There used to be flights between BMA and LCY but it's probarbly about 7-8 years ago.
Forgot Estonian and yes the old LCY flights where great. It's a shame the Swedish government isn't seeing the potential for BMA.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 8:15 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond
But neither the local government (which is threatening to try to shut down BMA prior to the end of the current contract) nor the national government (which consists of many of the same parties and seems rather ambivalent about the whole issue) are in any way likely to take that action.

[QUOTE=FlyingMoose;23704623]Noise restrictions are an artificial limitation that the same government can lift just as easily.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 10:50 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The Bromma airport in Stockholm is to be shut down and the land used for housing and who knows what else.

Some people are complaining that it will sever connections between Stockholm and the rest of the country.

While BMA has been very convenient for me at times, I don’t really see its closure causing me any problems.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 2:47 pm

Will for sure miss Bromma for the domestic flights.

But my biggest issue with ARN is the expensive Arlanda Express and underdeveloped terminals. All but T5 seem like substandard for an capital airport. And even T5 is not that nice.

So if they make the train cheaper and develop the terminals, I would be happy enough. But I think won’t happen... so... sad to see BMA go.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 11:28 am
Suspended

My primary use for BMA was to get to/from BRU. And for that it was very convenient for me. And BMA has been much cheaper and faster to get to/from than ARN, when having business in the city.

I too doubt that they will do anything to sustainably drive down the price to transport between ARN and the city center.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I think BRA was flying between MMX and BMA (Mr. did it once and he said it was a lot more convenient to go to the city compared to ARN) whereas SAS is flying to ARN.

Arlanda Express is like Hong Kong Airport Express, too expensive to use compared to alternatives, so it's for those who are in a rush or who can expense it.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 3:11 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by nacho
I think BRA was flying between MMX and BMA (Mr. did it once and he said it was a lot more convenient to go to the city compared to ARN) whereas SAS is flying to ARN.

Arlanda Express is like Hong Kong Airport Express, too expensive to use compared to alternatives, so it's for those who are in a rush or who can expense it.
It depends where you're going in Stockholm but for many parts of the city BMA is indeed more convenient. It's also IMO not only the time from airport to city. You should also consider that there's virtually no time spent in the terminal at BMA and much shorter taxi on the runway.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 3:20 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by Fredrik74
It depends where you're going in Stockholm but for many parts of the city BMA is indeed more convenient. It's also IMO not only the time from airport to city. You should also consider that there's virtually no time spent in the terminal at BMA and much shorter taxi on the runway.
I'll consider BMA the next time we fly on points. A route such as SFO CPH BRU(!) BMA.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
SK did do CPH BMA for a while, many years ago. It went away pretty rapidly again, so I guess there were few takers?
Old Apr 22, 2021, 7:27 pm
Suspended

CPH-BMA was around during my time on FT, so it wasn't ancient history for me.

Originally Posted by nacho

I used to fly MMX-BMA. It was usually via the BRA airline for me, but I started it with SAS. But there was also SAS at times for CPH-BMA. But my main use of BMA was for BMA-BRU/BRU-BMA flights.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.