Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS EuroBonus credit cards vs. Coop MedMera Mer (Sweden)

Old Jan 28, 2015, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedChili
Wiki-update, September 2017, by RedChili:

Coop in Sweden has a membership program whereby you may collect points, which later can be converted to Eurobonus points. There are set specific intervals at which conversions may be made, but basically, the exchange rate is 10 Coop points to 1 EB point.

To become a Coop member, you need to pay SEK 100, which will give you a membership card that allows you to earn points when shopping in Coop, a few other physical stores, and on the Coop Internet shopping portal. The membership card itself will give you at least 0.5 points per SEK when shoppping at Coop, translating into 5 EB points per SEK 100. There's a points ladder, which means that for purchases above SEK 4500 per month, shoppers may get 5 points per SEK at Coop, translating into 50 EB points per SEK 100.

Coop has three cards that you can use to obtain points:

Coop Konto (Coop Account): It's a debit card that can only be used for shopping at Coop stores. There's no annual fee, and it gives 0.5 additional points per SEK at Coop, which translates into a total of 10 EB points per SEK 100 (including what the membership gives).

Coop Betala Efter (Coop Pay After): It's a Mastercard credit card which can be used everywhere. There's no annual fee, and it gives 0.5 additional points per SEK at Coop, and 0.25 points everywhere else, which translates into a total of 10 EB points per SEK 100 at Coop and 2.5 EG points everywhere else. There's a 1.75% currency conversion fee. At the time of writing, there's a 10.000 point welcome bonus on this card, translating into 1000 EB points.

Coop Mer (Coop More): It's a Mastercard credit card which can be used everywhere. There's no annual fee for the first year, but a fee of SEK 348 thereafter. It gives 1 additional point per SEK at Coop, and 0.5 points per SEK everywhere else, which translates into a total of 15 EB points per SEK 100 at Coop and 5 EB points everywhere else. Unlike the Eurobonus AMEX cards which have 2% currency conversion fee, there's no currency conversion fee at all on this card, something which may make this card attractive for private purchases in other currencies. At the time of writing, there's a 10.000 point welcome bonus on this card, translating into 1000 EB points.

So, let's make a comparison between Amex Premium and Coop Mer when shopping for SEK 10.000 in other currencies: The Amex will cost you a total of SEK 10.200 and give 1500 EB points, while the Coop will cost a total of SEK 10.000 and give 500 EB points. By using the Amex, the extra 1000 EB points will actually cost you SEK 200.

Some select stores from the Coop Internet shopping portal (with points listed as EB points after conversion):

Hallon phone subscription: 500 EB welcome points, and 30 EB per month.
Hotels.com: 20 EB per SEK 100 (at the time of writing, there's a 50 EB campaign).
Tallink/Silja: 20 EB per SEK 100.
Adlibris: 20 EB per SEK 100.
Cdon.com: 10 EB per SEK 100.

It's fully possible for a Coop member to shop through the Coop Internet portal and double dip by paying with an Amex card or the Coop credit cards.

It's also possible to pay regular bills with Coop Mer through Betalo (see below), but they charge a 1% transaction fee when paying with Coop cards, and you only get 5 EB points per SEK 100, meaning that receiving 1000 EB points will cost you SEK 200 in Betalo fees.

!IMPORTANT NOTICE!

Beginning January 1st 2016, Betalo will charge 1% processing fess for charging to the MedMera COOP MasterCard

Here are the companies that you can't use betalo (please feel free to add in):

- SEB
- Ikano Kort
- AMEX
- PayEx (check your VVS bills (got one recently and they hand the bills handling to PayEx) - if the payment is big, you are definitely loose out some points)
- OkQ8
- Skatteverket (called them today and they said that COOP blocks payments to Skatteverket) - it's possible to use other cards
Print Wikipost

SAS EuroBonus credit cards vs. Coop MedMera Mer (Sweden)

Old Sep 1, 2017, 1:59 am

I noticed that the Wiki on top did not have much information at all, so I updated it with some detailed info on the Coop membership and cards.

I became a Coop member this summer, and the reason was basically because they had an offer for acces to Norway's Tusenfryd theme park at a cost of NOK 100 per member. I saved NOK 1500 by becoming a member and buying tickets for my family through Coop.

The Coop cards have their advantages and disadvantages, as evident in the Wiki, but new members may get EB points for just signing up for the credit card for a year.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 4:15 am

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
If anyone is still using Coop points, my wife received the following in an email.

"Fĺ 20 % fler SAS EuroBonuspoäng!
Sugen pĺ att komma i väg pĺ drömresan? Växla in 20 000 Coop-poäng till SAS EuroBonuspoäng sĺ bjuder vi pĺ 20 % fler SAS EuroBonus-poäng*. Erbjudandet gäller vid ett tillfälle t.o.m. söndagen den 19/11, 2017."

I did not find the offer in her Coop.se account, but rather through a link in the email. Therefore I am not sure if it is personal, but I have not seen any offers on these exchanges in some time and wanted to share. Check your emails!

Update: seems to be only valid for 1 exchange of 20k points...so it is only an extra 400 points. I thought it was for all points, but apparently not so.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 5:04 am

Programs: SK EBD, AY Plat, Member TG,LH,UA,AC
Originally Posted by livious
If anyone is still using Coop points, my wife received the following in an email.

"Fĺ 20 % fler SAS EuroBonuspoäng!
Sugen pĺ att komma i väg pĺ drömresan? Växla in 20 000 Coop-poäng till SAS EuroBonuspoäng sĺ bjuder vi pĺ 20 % fler SAS EuroBonus-poäng*. Erbjudandet gäller vid ett tillfälle t.o.m. söndagen den 19/11, 2017."

I did not find the offer in her Coop.se account, but rather through a link in the email. Therefore I am not sure if it is personal, but I have not seen any offers on these exchanges in some time and wanted to share. Check your emails!

Update: seems to be only valid for 1 exchange of 20k points...so it is only an extra 400 points. I thought it was for all points, but apparently not so.
I thought the same as you initially thought; however, it was only one time and only 400 EB points more for 2000 EB points exchange. Being optimistic, for a piece of snack maybe.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 6:47 am

Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond
What is the Coop thing?
Old Nov 13, 2017, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by AStarr
What is the Coop thing?
A super market chain, and their credit card.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: TK Elite, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver
I have Coop Konto card and was thinking of converting them to Eurobonus points which I could use to upgrade an upcoming flight but I guess the rate of 10:1 is not good at all. If only they will have some bonus offer
Old Feb 25, 2018, 4:20 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond
I canceled my Coop MedMera Mer MasterCard but I kept my Coop account and it is still my preferred grocery store. I always give my account number when making purchases, and pay with my SAS EB Amex Elite card, so I get 20 points per 100 SEK from the Amex and the additional points from Coop, which also go onto my EB account.

Another thing to consider when it comes to Coop points is that they have a monthly point ladder, with 0-1000 spent returning 0.5 points per SEK, 1000-2000 = 1 point per SEK, 2000-3000 = 2 points per SEK, 3000-4000 = 3 points per SEK, 4000-5000 = 4 points per SEK, and 5 points per SEK for anything over 5000 within a month. Not so hard to get up to the higher earning levels when buying groceries for a family.

Originally Posted by thefilipinotraveler
I have Coop Konto card and was thinking of converting them to Eurobonus points which I could use to upgrade an upcoming flight but I guess the rate of 10:1 is not good at all. If only they will have some bonus offer
Old Feb 26, 2018, 2:36 am

Programs: TK Elite, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Daner
I canceled my Coop MedMera Mer MasterCard but I kept my Coop account and it is still my preferred grocery store. I always give my account number when making purchases, and pay with my SAS EB Amex Elite card, so I get 20 points per 100 SEK from the Amex and the additional points from Coop, which also go onto my EB account.

Another thing to consider when it comes to Coop points is that they have a monthly point ladder, with 0-1000 spent returning 0.5 points per SEK, 1000-2000 = 1 point per SEK, 2000-3000 = 2 points per SEK, 3000-4000 = 3 points per SEK, 4000-5000 = 4 points per SEK, and 5 points per SEK for anything over 5000 within a month. Not so hard to get up to the higher earning levels when buying groceries for a family.
Thanks for the tips Daner Didn't know about the monthly point ladder by Coop. I'll keep that in mind next time
Old Feb 26, 2018, 6:40 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

But are the points for buying groceries mainly from Coop more valuable than buying the same or substitutes groceries from say Willys and losing out on the Coop points? It may depend upon how inconvenient and bad the most relevant Willys is.

Does taking cash out when buying groceries with the Amex count for earning points via the Amex spend (of groceries+cash withdrawal on same receipt as grocery purchase)?
Old Feb 27, 2018, 5:27 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond
In my case Coop is literally the closest grocery store, on a direct path between my house and the closest public transportation. They also have a free underground parking garage, which is appreciated on days like today when it is windy and -13c. Besides all that, my daughter works there as a cashier and her boss is a friend of mine, so doing most of our shopping there helps keep me in their good graces.

On a side note, being a cashier at Coop my daughter asks each customer if they are a member, so that they have the chance to register their purchase and be awarded points. I tried to convince her (and her boss) to enter my membership number for all transactions for all customers who are not members, but neither of them thought it was a good idea.

I don't know the answer to your questions regarding cash, as I have shifted to using cards and Swish instead of cash whenever possible. Much easier to get away with here in Sweden than it is in most other places that I have been recently.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
But are the points for buying groceries mainly from Coop more valuable than buying the same or substitutes groceries from say Willys and losing out on the Coop points? It may depend upon how inconvenient and bad the most relevant Willys is.

Does taking cash out when buying groceries with the Amex count for earning points via the Amex spend (of groceries+cash withdrawal on same receipt as grocery purchase)?
Old Mar 7, 2018, 1:42 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
On a side note, being a cashier at Coop my daughter asks each customer if they are a member, so that they have the chance to register their purchase and be awarded points. I tried to convince her (and her boss) to enter my membership number for all transactions for all customers who are not members, but neither of them thought it was a good idea.
LOL!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.