Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Experience of SAS Star Alliance Upgrades

Old Jun 5, 2014, 6:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G, BA Gold, IHG Plat AMB

Hi all,

Does anyone have much experience of using the Star Alliance upgrade request function through SAS? Did you use the onine form of make a phone call? If I can see the availability on the United Airlines and JAL websites for my dates I presume SAS will also see them?

Looking to purchase 1 way economy tickets from BKK-LHR and then upgrade with SAS points. Hopefully I can get it to work!

Thanks
Old Jun 5, 2014, 10:12 am

The big issues is that you need to buy painfully expensive eco tickets (e.g. Y or B class on UA or TG), some airlines also allow lower classes like EVA (http://www.sas.se/eurobonus/anvand-p...pgrade-awards/). If you are willing to do so, you can then use the online form without issues.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 5:23 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Eurobonus
Unfortunately, Star Alliance upgrades are not great value because the need to fly full-fare economy. Better to book the whole trip with points on your airline of choice, or go with SAS and gamble on a gate and/or Optiontown upgrade (unfortunately not possible in this case since SAS does not fly Bangkok direct).
Old Jun 9, 2014, 12:47 pm

Programs: SK EBD, AA PLT, SPG Gold
Agree they do not make sense for Y->C upgrades because of the high cost of tickets but they can be a decent deal for C->F upgrades in some cases. I have used the upgrades this way on both TG and LH.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G, BA Gold, IHG Plat AMB
Normally no, they would be awful value. But the fact that I am looking to purchase a 1 way ticket, which almost automatically books into the most expensive fair bucket, on this occasion it will be more reasonable.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:28 am

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
I wouldn't do it. You need fully flexible and very expensive Y tickets, sometimes those are already more expensive than booking the C tickets directly.

So far I've been in luck when trying to book C class award tickets with SAS points on Thai (60.000 points per person one way or so). I'd say that is much more profitable than buying *A upgrades.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.