Wiki Posts
Search

Service fee per pax?

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2014, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Service fee per pax?

Hi,

is this somethign new? I just wanted to book a ticket for 2 pax and on the SAS website they want to charge me two times 10€ service fee. I'm pretty sure I didn't had to pay twice before and when I checked e.g. Expedia they are 10€ cheaper since they only add the 10€ service charge once.

I wouldn't care about 10€ in general like the ticket being more expensive but I do not see any reason why they want to cash in a service charge for one booking twice.

is it just a glitch or normal?

Last edited by fassy; May 19, 2014 at 9:57 am
Old May 19, 2014, 9:50 am

Programs: *G
Just checked a booking from last year, also had to pay twice.
However I'm confused to why you are booking on the English site? Unless you can save 6€ on credit card exchange rates or something, the fee is only 30DKK/~4€ on the Danish site.
Old May 19, 2014, 9:57 am
Original Poster

I'm German, so the 'intelligence' of all those websites (based on my browser settings and system locale ) default me to the German/international pages. But as I usually never book tickets (all done by corporate TA) I only use it to check for fares.

Just checked the Swedish site (living east of the bridge ) and they also quote 60SEK service charge (2 times 30SEK). That is interesting, never would have guessed the service charges are that different per country/currency.

Thanks!

EDIT:
sas.se quotes 447 SEK + 447 SEK + 60 SEK = 954SEK~105,62€
flysas.com quotes 49,52€ + 49,52€ + 20€ =119,04€

Last edited by fassy; May 19, 2014 at 10:03 am
Old May 19, 2014, 10:16 am

Programs: *G
Oh, interesting, I should look into if they'll let me book on the Swedish site, perhaps a small amount but it adds up, even with credit card exchange rates...
I tried to do it when changing a ticket with the 299 SEK instead of 299 DKK (Youthfare) but they wouldn't let me :'(
Old May 19, 2014, 3:02 pm

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
for quite some time it was consistently cheaper for my to book on the us website (2-3% cheaper than on the Danish one). I have not tried recently though.
Old May 20, 2014, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
US site is cheaper but then when you take the exchange fee into consideration then it doesn't look so attractive, although I did buy my next US trip via Orbitz.

I booked all my SK flights via the Swedish site - mainly because our Swedish CC gives 1% cash back and most of the time I think the Swedish site is cheaper due to no CC fee. I bought tickets during the crazy sale 2000 per ticket - it's 2000 DKK, SEK or NKK, so SEK is definitely the cheapest. All my flights are from CPH.

Back to OP - I have seen the 10 EUR ticketing fee from SK - this is all how the price is being made up. They even charged me SEK 35 ticketing fee for an award ticket once. If expedia is cheaper, book it there. There is no reason to book directly with an airline if it's not the cheapest - unless you can get cash back/discount etc.
Old May 20, 2014, 7:56 am

Programs: TK*G, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by nacho
There is no reason to book directly with an airline if it's not the cheapest - unless you can get cash back/discount etc.
I don't agree - at least if the difference is small. If you have any problems (changes for example) the airline will refuse to help you and point you at the TA. Then you can play the "who is responsible to help you game" and go back and forth between TA and airline. Worse when codeshares are involved. I always prefer to book directly with the carrier unless the savings are significant.
Old May 20, 2014, 9:51 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Originally Posted by nacho
US site is cheaper but then when you take the exchange fee into consideration then it doesn't look so attractive, although I did buy my next US trip via Orbitz.
I meant that I have seen prices being cheaper effectively (so after the exchange fee applied). The amount of DKK charged to my CC was always a small percent lower than the price stated on the Danish site. I vaguely remember that this was due to the service fee not being charged on the US website. I forgot this practice recently though. So I do not know what the state of affairs is.

PS. I somehow dislike booking on expedia (I do this if I need an itinerary that is not sold directly on SK websites, or if their price is much better). I usually have troubles with FFP numbers, online check in, etc on itineraries booked with them.
Old May 21, 2014, 2:28 am

I also can't understand, why SK sticks to the steep 10€ on the German market. More or less all other carriers got rid of these charges recently to avoid that OTAs are selling their tickets cheaper than they do.
The irish website has IMO one of the lowest TSC - 3€.
Plus, one gets charged in Euro, which may save you some exchange fees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.