Fun with the inflight magazine

Old May 6, 2014, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
Fun with the inflight magazine

Out of boredom I took a look at the new in flight magazine for May. Three things caught my attention:

On the route map, Singapore was listed as SAS-destination. Does anyone know if SAS will start flying to Singapore soon or is it just a printing error I hadn't seen anything about it, but it would be excellent. Anyone knows more?

Second, SAS confirmed that points for Diamond members now have unlimited validity and that 2 silver cards (instead of one gold card) can be given away. That was also new to me. I knew points validity was extended, but I didn't know the term was set to unlimited. Was I just asleep and did I miss this one? I'd say such a perk should be widely advertised...

And the biggest laugh of all: CEO Rikard actually told in his foreword that he was proud at how fast SK reacted to the new demand on the SVG-IAH route. I'm not sure, but there's been rumors about it since before I was born and at least many, many years of talking (while KL filled all the seats SVG-AMS-IAH). It seems that they will use a PrivatAir B737 for the flights. I checked the distance and I checked the range. It seems that the range is a few hundred miles shorter than the distance. Are they introducing a technical stop there or will they add extra fuel tanks? Pity it's just business class, by the way... No chance of booking with an OT upgrade here...
Old May 6, 2014, 12:39 pm

1) Singapore sounds interessting - not heard any rumors though.

2) I'm not sure about the concept - do all points earned as EBD have unlimited validity or do no points expire as long as you are EBD? The latter would be no help for people if they drop out of EBD to EBG.

3) Yes, it is quite close to the max range but totaly ok. SVG - IAH is ~7800km/4200nm while the range is ~9200km/5000nm. This leaves round about 1400km/800nm for alternate routing. This is well in safe limits. I doubt they will carry more extra fuel on other flights nowadays anyway...
Old May 6, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: EBG, M&M SEN, FB Gold
Originally Posted by fassy
1) Singapore sounds interessting - not heard any rumors though.

2) I'm not sure about the concept - do all points earned as EBD have unlimited validity or do no points expire as long as you are EBD? The latter would be no help for people if they drop out of EBD to EBG.

3) Yes, it is quite close to the max range but totaly ok. SVG - IAH is ~7800km/4200nm while the range is ~9200km/5000nm. This leaves round about 1400km/800nm for alternate routing. This is well in safe limits. I doubt they will carry more extra fuel on other flights nowadays anyway...
Regarding that EBD has no unlimited validity is correct (have it on my account) - as long as I am EBD. I have not been able to get confirmed which date it will ahve when I am no longer af EBD. I do hope the 5 years count from that day and not from the actual earning day.

Also as a EBD you can give away one Gold card or two Silver cards.

So this is not a trick and not been shown that open in the material from SAS until know. But I also know that more EBD material is coming and the total package will be better than it is shown today.

Br
Henrik
Old May 8, 2014, 4:05 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
One can only hope with regards to Singapore, people have been begging for SFO and SIN (and HKG) for ever and the codeshare with SQ from CPH is always full. Given the success of the SFO route after they listened to their customers for the first time ever, it might be the case they are going to do this a second time and start SIN.

Fully concur regarding the CEO article about IAH - what a joke.
Old May 8, 2014, 7:57 am

Programs: SK*G, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by UltraRant
On the route map, Singapore was listed as SAS-destination. Does anyone know if SAS will start flying to Singapore soon or is it just a printing error I hadn't seen anything about it, but it would be excellent. Anyone knows more?
Codeshare with SQ?
Old May 8, 2014, 12:41 pm

Programs: AY, LH, KL, SK, D8, Marriott, Melia.
That Singapore flight must be SK8001 operated by SQ.
Old May 13, 2014, 1:50 am
Original Poster

According to the site of PrivatAir, the range is 4320 NM ( http://privatair.com/aircraft/boeing-737-700-0 ). According to my favorite mileage calculator the distance is 4830 miles ( http://www.webflyer.com/travel/milea...&ticket_price= ) So that's why I wonder how SAS is going to skip a bit of space or if there's going to be a technical fuel stop.

Originally Posted by Abducted Alien
That Singapore flight must be SK8001 operated by SQ.
No. It was displayed in a larger font and bold, plus with the colors of a SAS route (greenish, where codeshare destinations have an orange color). That's what got me puzzled.
Old May 13, 2014, 4:35 am

According to the site of PrivatAir, the range is 4320 NM ( http://privatair.com/aircraft/boeing-737-700-0 ). According to my favorite mileage calculator the distance is 4830 miles ( http://www.webflyer.com/travel/milea...&ticket_price= ) So that's why I wonder how SAS is going to skip a bit of space or if there's going to be a technical fuel stop.
Your mileage calculator shows miles (mi) not nautical miles (nm). If you apply the conversion rate of ~0.86898 from mi to nm you get 4830mi is equivalent to 4197nm. So the fully fueled up 737-700 has at least 120nm or 140mi safety.

As there is no fixed rule how far (in miles) the alternate has to be away from the original destination and both locations have plenty of options around you could perhaps file a flight plan for IAH-SVG with alternate BGO without any problems in range. Not an expert on how to plan for the alternate but a friend of mine who is pilot told me in theory they could plan for an alternate just 10 miles away if they stick to the FARS part 121.621 rules for alternate airports. He confirmed there is no requirement for a fuel stop on SVG-IAH in a 737-700 in normal situations.
Old May 13, 2014, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Your mileage calculator shows miles (mi) not nautical miles (nm). If you apply the conversion rate of ~0.86898 from mi to nm you get 4830mi is equivalent to 4197nm. So the fully fueled up 737-700 has at least 120nm or 140mi safety.
You are right on that one. Sorry, I overlooked that detail. And indeed, on both sides of the water there are plenty of diversion options in case it's necessary.

Last edited by UltraRant; May 13, 2014 at 5:20 am
Old Jun 6, 2014, 6:08 am

Programs: EBP/SK*G, M&M FT, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Sixt Diamond

(
Just looked at the new Scanorama for June and again, SIN is highlighted as a SAS destination, not codeshare! They must not have realised the mistake, as I would not believe that they would leave it unannouced, if they indeed were planning to open that route - which would be very welcomed btw!
Old Jun 6, 2014, 7:31 am

Programs: SK*Gold
"It seems that the range is a few hundred miles shorter than the distance. Are they introducing a technical stop there or will they add extra fuel tanks?"

Since it's going to be just business class, that should make for less seats/people which should lessen the weight and increase the range.

Last edited by Amexpat; Jun 7, 2014 at 12:31 pm
Old Jun 6, 2014, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Pandion1Haliaetus
Just looked at the new Scanorama for June and again, SIN is highlighted as a SAS destination, not codeshare! They must not have realised the mistake, as I would not believe that they would leave it unannouced, if they indeed were planning to open that route - which would be very welcomed btw!
Noticed that as well, but also noticed that they updated Huston, it was changed from seasonal to regular destination. I
Old Jun 7, 2014, 2:18 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
I also didn't understand why they showed SIN as an SAS (not codeshare) destination. Tried to ask SAS on social media, but didn't get any response. As far as I could tell though, they don't have any plans to start flying there.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 9:07 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by ung1
I also didn't understand why they showed SIN as an SAS (not codeshare) destination. Tried to ask SAS on social media, but didn't get any response. As far as I could tell though, they don't have any plans to start flying there.
No reply makes it more likely as opposed to a no.

SK8001 is only operated 5x a week, no flights CPH -> SIN on Monday and Wednesday and no flights SIN -> CPH on Sunday and Tuesday makes people opt for other connections. I use both TG and AY for SIN travel frequently because SAS simply doesn't offer other connections anymore and previously only alternatives via BKK when it was in season.

A direct route would make perfect sense, especially with SAS's changes more focussed on business travel it is the most realistic destination. Perhaps on-par with HKG.

I'm confident SAS can see the number of bookings made on SK8001 and have a good idea on potential profitability. If they can get a better time slot as well there is definitely potential, SK8000 is fine but SQ8001 has room for improvement. I like the AY flights as both leave late and allow me to get a full night of sleep.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 6:19 am
Original Poster

We're 2 editions now from the first edition that saw SIN as a regular (not codeshared) SAS destination. And guess what... it's still displayed as SAS destination. I still haven't heard or seen anything about this 'new' destination, maybe anyone else knows what's going on? I know things take time in Scandinavia to be fixed but 3 months for such a small error would have been a bit much...

Furthermore Rickard made some interesting statement in his foreword. It's about unaccompanied minors. If I understand him correctly, he's now placing them by default in SAS PLUS. Does anyone know if this is true? It'd be a good reason to stop flying Plus, I'd say...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.