Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A glass of water?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2015, 1:01 am

Am I the only one who thinks 20DKK for a bottle of water (or 30DKK for two) is not that much of a problem? If I fly a family of four (or more) on a long haul to the US or China for thousands of DKK, pay even more for transportation, lodging, meals, etc how does even a hundred DKK for some bottled water matter? (we do not need to discuss about the stupid rule of not allowing liquids through security or that is really a piss poor service from an supposedly full service airline to not provide free water)

There is one thing I absolutely do not do is drink water from public taps... *brrrrrr*
Old Sep 3, 2015, 1:23 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by fassy
Am I the only one who thinks 20DKK for a bottle of water (or 30DKK for two) is not that much of a problem?
3€ for a 300ml bottle??? Sorry thats plain absurd.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 1:40 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
In CPH, the Tiger shop has two 1/2 litre bottles of water for 10 DKK (+ 3 DKK 'deposit ).
And if I remember right, the dutyfree has two 1/2 litre bottles of water or two cans for 20 DKK.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Am I the only one who thinks 20DKK for a bottle of water (or 30DKK for two) is not that much of a problem? If I fly a family of four (or more) on a long haul to the US or China for thousands of DKK, pay even more for transportation, lodging, meals, etc how does even a hundred DKK for some bottled water matter? (we do not need to discuss about the stupid rule of not allowing liquids through security or that is really a piss poor service from an supposedly full service airline to not provide free water)

There is one thing I absolutely do not do is drink water from public taps... *brrrrrr*
I think this is a German/Southern European thing not to drink tap water. I love tap water (except the one from my home and the area around it) - and most bottled water are actually from public tap and municipal water supply = tap water.

It's not about the cost - it's the principle that's wrong:

1. the liquid restriction - why can't I bring water?
2. The cost of water is not much, but it's not necessary because it's fully accessible from taps, why on earth do I have to buy something that I can get it for free and it's not any worse than the one you buy.
3. Environmental impact - if you buy water you are consuming necessary energy for producing the bottles, transporting it, plus the bottle that you bring on-board and throw it away (most people don't bring the bottle back for deposit)

You can tell me about family of 4 flying long haul when you get to that Think about all the costs times 4/5/6 depending how many kids you have. It will cost you more if you want to make them *G so that all of you can get *G perks. Single incidents of spending DKK 100 for water might not be significant but when this combine with giving your children mobile phone, unlimited data, school trips......that's a lot - not to think about their university fund (if you want them to have a chance to study abroad).

Originally Posted by oliver2002
3€ for a 300ml bottle??? Sorry thats plain absurd.
Can't agree more
Originally Posted by helosc
In CPH, the Tiger shop has two 1/2 litre bottles of water for 10 DKK (+ 3 DKK 'deposit ).
And if I remember right, the dutyfree has two 1/2 litre bottles of water or two cans for 20 DKK.
True they have the DKK 10 water - but still it's tap water from another tap. Danish tap water is perfectly safe to drink! Although some places have harder water than others (not good for making tea), but a Brita filter would do the job.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 2:26 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by nacho
True they have the DKK 10 water - but still it's tap water from another tap. Danish tap water is perfectly safe to drink! Although some places have harder water than others (not good for making tea), but a Brita filter would do the job.
Time to get a Brita bottle: https://brita.ca/products/water-filter-bottles/
Old Sep 3, 2015, 3:26 am

I think this is a German/Southern European thing not to drink tap water. I love tap water (except the one from my home and the area around it) - and most bottled water are actually from public tap and municipal water supply = tap water.
For once, at the point in the water distribution system they measure the water quality it might be good water... Actually the area I come from in Germany has one of the best water qualities in Europe and is home to a couple of the biggest bottle water companies.

Anyway after passing miles through old corroded and rusty pipes and distribution systems... not so much. Have you ever rebuild a house built in the 50s and looked at the water pipes?

Then think about how old some of the water distribution systems are around the cities and public facilities...

Bon appetit!

There is also a reason why there is a difference in Germany between Mineral water (no tap water, directly taken out of the well) and Table Water (=tap water)

Also often enough you have high levels of chloride in the public tap water to kill germs and bacteria. First of all I hate the taste, second it is not really healthy.

(disclaimer: I work in the public utilities sector... mostly Electric Grid, but also doing work on water, district heating and gas networks...So, I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about )

You can tell me about family of 4 flying long haul when you get to that Think about all the costs times 4/5/6 depending how many kids you have. It will cost you more if you want to make them *G so that all of you can get *G perks. Single incidents of spending DKK 100 for water might not be significant but when this combine with giving your children mobile phone, unlimited data, school trips......that's a lot - not to think about their university fund (if you want them to have a chance to study abroad).
Costs of doing business... erm... family.

I for once see no reason to provide kids(!) with iPhone 6 (or similar high end smart phones) and unlimited data plans, making them *G and finance them expensive brand clothing etc.

I had to work since I was 14 to pad up my allowance for covering brand clothing, partying, cell phone, gaming computers, music instruments etc and at that time found it ok and still think that if a kid has to work for the luxury they want to have. This makes them aware that these tings do not come free but involve substantial work and hardship. Nothing wrong with that. (Of course my parents helped out here and there, but not to the extend I see nowadays with the kids of colleagues and friends).

For financing the education, I agree.

Last edited by fassy; Sep 3, 2015 at 4:14 am Reason: adding disclaimer ;)
Old Sep 3, 2015, 4:43 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
I found more and more toilets in various places in DK and even UK has only warm water coming out from taps. I guess they want people to buy drinks instead of drinking tap water.
Not only that, but keeping the water unpleasantly cold for hand washing and unpleasantly lukewarm for drinking, they are cutting down on water consumption while making their customers a disservice.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Costs of doing business... erm... family.

I for once see no reason to provide kids(!) with iPhone 6 (or similar high end smart phones) and unlimited data plans, making them *G and finance them expensive brand clothing etc.

I had to work since I was 14 to pad up my allowance for covering brand clothing, partying, cell phone, gaming computers, music instruments etc and at that time found it ok and still think that if a kid has to work for the luxury they want to have. This makes them aware that these tings do not come free but involve substantial work and hardship. Nothing wrong with that. (Of course my parents helped out here and there, but not to the extend I see nowadays with the kids of colleagues and friends).

For financing the education, I agree.
My kids have no phones, they don't use expensive clothing...... they don't even have allowance. The biggest money for having kids is their education, and some extracurricular. We cut on the extracurricular since we don't see any value of doing that - tried sending the kids to swimming lesson and after 10 lessons they still refuse to dip their heads into the water.

I know a lot of parents send their kids to learn this and that and each item costs you from 500-2000/per month depending on the "thing".

Travelling kills too - 2 rooms = double the cost, 5 long haul tickets cost too - and then you have to do it when they are off.

About the water, it just like most things - better not to find out the details, otherwise you can't eat/drink anything.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum

No you are not the only one. While I in principle think it is pretty cheapskate of SK that water is not available by the glass I can't get upset about the price of a bottle of water. I can barely take public transport for 1 person to CPH for that amount.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 4:33 am

I have given up on persuading the cabin crew to give me water, so I carry a Platypus PlusBotte when I travel.

They can hold one liter when full, and they roll up to take next to no space when empty.
They weigh very little and have a hole for a carabiner that I attach to the seat pocket.

In CPH I fill it in the lounge - not in the bathroom as the sinks are too shallow, but by the Coke machine. It has a water option.
When I fly on an airline that doesn't provide me with lounge access I fill it in the bathroom by the gates. They have water and Copenhagen tap water is of very high quality.

When traveling in countries with questionable water quality or with tap water that tastes like chlorine I try to fill the bottle at lounges, and if unsuccessful I buy bottled water and transfer to the PlusBottle so I don't have to deal with the trash later.

I also carry a few Katadyn water purification tablets for the odd occasion where I cannot find potable water - I travel all over the world, so it happens.

It works for me - YMMV.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 6:40 am

Programs: MR Gold, IHG Gold AMB

Anyway after passing miles through old corroded and rusty pipes and distribution systems... not so much. Have you ever rebuild a house built in the 50s and looked at the water pipes?

Then think about how old some of the water distribution systems are around the cities and public facilities...

Bon appetit!
While the picture might not be aesthetically pleasing, these are just some iron and other salts that were in the water to begin with and were deposited on the way to you. If there is any difference, the only one will be that water is a bit cleaner when it gets to you (as it deposits some of it's contents inside the pipes).

You might as well complain that spring water in mountains is flowing over rocks, ewww…
Old Sep 8, 2015, 12:26 am

It's not about the cost - it's the principle that's wrong:

1. the liquid restriction - why can't I bring water?
2. The cost of water is not much, but it's not necessary because it's fully accessible from taps, why on earth do I have to buy something that I can get it for free and it's not any worse than the one you buy.
3. Environmental impact - if you buy water you are consuming necessary energy for producing the bottles, transporting it, plus the bottle that you bring on-board and throw it away (most people don't bring the bottle back for deposit)

Can't agree more

You can bring an empty bottle to the airport and fill it up.

For the rest of your post, yes kids are expensive. Today buying drinks is a cost of flying SK, if you cannot pay those 100DKK maybe don't spend money on plane tickets, hotels, phones, clothes and so on. None of those are necessities.

My kids have no phones, they don't use expensive clothing...... they don't even have allowance. The biggest money for having kids is their education, and some extracurricular. We cut on the extracurricular since we don't see any value of doing that - tried sending the kids to swimming lesson and after 10 lessons they still refuse to dip their heads into the water.

I know a lot of parents send their kids to learn this and that and each item costs you from 500-2000/per month depending on the "thing".

Travelling kills too - 2 rooms = double the cost, 5 long haul tickets cost too - and then you have to do it when they are off.

About the water, it just like most things - better not to find out the details, otherwise you can't eat/drink anything.
Again, kids don't need to fly.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 12:54 am

Programs: EBD
There is also a reason why there is a difference in Germany between Mineral water (no tap water, directly taken out of the well) and Table Water (=tap water)...
Even mineral water runs through rusty pipes, though the mineral water companies want us to think that young virgins sit by the well at dawn and fill the bottles by hand. Plastic bottles are made up of small molecules or monomers which, together with their additives, can migrate into the water during packaging manufacturing, filling or storage.
I still stick with tap water!
Old Sep 8, 2015, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by theddo
You can bring an empty bottle to the airport and fill it up.

For the rest of your post, yes kids are expensive. Today buying drinks is a cost of flying SK, if you cannot pay those 100DKK maybe don't spend money on plane tickets, hotels, phones, clothes and so on. None of those are necessities.
If you see my previous post I have been taking empty bottles to fill them up with tap water for my kids. Mr. had his empty bottle confiscated once at MMX. So we normally unscrew all the lids and keep them somewhere to play safe.

That's the reason why we try to avoid SK and stick with airlines that gives out normal perks even though I have to spend more than 100 DKK (of course I also get better hard products etc.).

As I wrote earlier, the tap water is perfectly drinkable and therefore there is no reason to buy tap water because 1. I think it's a waste of money (aka scam using the liquid restrictions for most airports) as tap water is widely available for free and there is always a risk that my empty bottle will be confiscated. 2. Regarding to OT - it's crazy that SK only gives out tea and coffee for free but not water. 3. Environmental effects - energy wasted on transporting them (again you can get them from free from a tap, so it's unnecessary) and the rubbish created by all these empty bottles - I see so many empty bottles left on the plane.

Originally Posted by theddo
Again, kids don't need to fly.
You sounded like my MIL. I'm 110% you are not

Yes they don't need to fly, but who can I leave them with I know it's an option - that DKK 100 is more a principle question for us. Also the point I was trying to make is that if you spend a 100 here 1000 there, it does add up. This is not just about the water, I'm more talking about people nowadays spending tons of money on kids like phones, downloads, pocket money, Louis Vitton bags, Converse shoes, Levis jeans..... This kind of money is comparable to flight tickets and that's how we choose to spend our money on, taking them to see the world instead of having a phone (none of my kids have a phone and most of their classmates have phones already) or any of those luxury things I mentioned.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 4:11 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
I was in ATH one month ago and they seemed to have fixed maximum prices for certain products that ALL vendors in the airport area have to comply. For example a cup of coffee was like 1€ and 0,5L bottle of water 0.50€. 2-3€ for a bottle of bottled tap water is just plain crazyness.

Maybe this would be also good for other airports as long as you are not able to bring your own water through security?

In my opinion nowadays with new technology for security screening it's just a scam to disallow liquids to have more sales to the merchants in "safe" area.

At least for the people living in Nordics and most European countries where drinking tap water is 100% normal thing to do it doesn't make any sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.