Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Cash+Points tickets can be a good deal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cash+Points tickets can be a good deal

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2020, 5:51 pm

I know this is a very old thread, but I have not found any more recent ones discussing Cash+Points (revenue based) award redemptions. I have been wondering if I'm doing something wrong, and/or what has changed. I have redeemed quite a few times in the past few years for about 110-130k per way for CPH/ARN to and from NYC in Business, and it pretty much gave me the ability to book any date. I found this very valuable as the saver seats are anyways not available ever. Last I booked was probably 1 year ago where I found it has gone up maybe 20k or so. Checking now (I checked in Jan 2020 as well I believe) it seems to be literally double or triple the pricing structure! 300-340k per way?? Can anyone comment or advise if im doing something wrong, or if they have in fact completely devalued it?
Old May 25, 2020, 12:19 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by moebod
I know this is a very old thread, but I have not found any more recent ones discussing Cash+Points (revenue based) award redemptions. I have been wondering if I'm doing something wrong, and/or what has changed. I have redeemed quite a few times in the past few years for about 110-130k per way for CPH/ARN to and from NYC in Business, and it pretty much gave me the ability to book any date. I found this very valuable as the saver seats are anyways not available ever. Last I booked was probably 1 year ago where I found it has gone up maybe 20k or so. Checking now (I checked in Jan 2020 as well I believe) it seems to be literally double or triple the pricing structure! 300-340k per way?? Can anyone comment or advise if im doing something wrong, or if they have in fact completely devalued it?
They increased the prices (at least 3x for some routes) without warning, I believe it came hidden behind the "enhancement" of now being able to book mixed "best availability" and "best price" award tickets. Their way of doing this also made it cheaper in points to book for instance MMX-ARN-CPH-IAD than CPH-IAD.
Old May 25, 2020, 9:02 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Since last year the points price is based on the sales price. Before there was only a connection between booking class and destination (LH, Europe, Nordics, domestic).

One-way LH is very expensive, so therefore you have now a high price in points.
Old May 26, 2020, 7:30 am

Programs: SK*G (EBD)
Nevermind - misread the question...

Last edited by JR67; May 26, 2020 at 7:40 am
Old May 26, 2020, 7:46 am

I am not sure if we are all on the same page. Im talking about specifically when saver is not available (It never is anyhow) and we are looking at SK flights only (no partners). Its the second option for searching as per below screenshot.

It used to show about 123k per way or maybe 135k per way, and now seeing 300k+ per way any date I check.

Old May 26, 2020, 8:17 am

I am not sure if we are all on the same page. Im talking about specifically when saver is not available (It never is anyhow) and we are looking at SK flights only (no partners). Its the second option for searching as per below screenshot.

It used to show about 123k per way or maybe 135k per way, and now seeing 300k+ per way any date I check.
First or second option doesn't matter much anymore, except that the first one is also showing regular award flights.

With the points + money option you get always regular tickets. And as said before, nowadays the points price for a paid ticket is now based on the sales price, before there was a fixed point price table.

In some circumstances you win with the new approach, but usually you lose.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 1:16 am

Programs: EBD, Radisson Plat, Marriot Gold
Continuing on an older thread...

Are the "Points + Money" tickets still available? I might be doing something wrong, but when I click on the "Pay with Points + Cash" button I get redirected to a page with address starting "https://classic.flysas.com/" and get a "404-Page-not-found" error".

I have the option of booking revenue tickets fully with points but only have portion of points for a return ticket and thus would like to book with points and money.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 1:30 am

Programs: SAS EBG, Flying Blu Gold, Etihad Gold
Originally Posted by Vallari
Continuing on an older thread...

Are the "Points + Money" tickets still available? I might be doing something wrong, but when I click on the "Pay with Points + Cash" button I get redirected to a page with address starting "https://classic.flysas.com/" and get a "404-Page-not-found" error".

I have the option of booking revenue tickets fully with points but only have portion of points for a return ticket and thus would like to book with points and money.
I booked a trip two days ago, it worked fine from here, I just logged in before I clicked on the 'Pay with Points+cash´, I used the slider too.
What market are you trying on?
Old Sep 7, 2022, 2:59 am

Programs: EBD, Radisson Plat, Marriot Gold
I'm booking from Finland, was trying to book using sas.fi which didn't work. Now using flysas.com (as linked by Silferlood) I get redirected properly to the "old layout" site but lose the Diamond discount for booking revenue tickets with points.

So using flysas.com and looking at revenue tickets with points I see for example 119650 points for outbound in business saver (HEL-EWR) but then on the cash&points-page the same flight 170928 (also business saver). Strange... Or maybe the discount doesn't apply to "cash&point".

But thanks for the link anyway!
Old Sep 7, 2022, 3:09 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
You should get redirected to classic.sas.se after you hit "Pay with points" and click on "Pay with points and cash". These tickets were more appealing in the past since the point cost has drastically increased and of course they still only work on SK's own network. And as you said, frequently all reward fares cost less points than points and cash fares + earnings. Something for SAS to rethink.

I would much rather see SAS put cash value gift cards in the EuroBonus shop and give travelers significantly more flexiblity.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
And as you said, frequently all reward fares cost less points than points and cash fares + earnings. Something for SAS to rethink.
It makes actually a lot of sense that it is this way. The internal cash value of a point is the reference point. I don‘t disagree that it would be an awesome perk if it were different.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.