Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Cash+Points tickets can be a good deal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cash+Points tickets can be a good deal

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2014, 1:43 am

Programs: EBG, Club Carlson Gold, Frequent Flyer, SPG, Gold Points
SAS site says it clearly

* Points can be earned for tickets paid, wholly or partly with points

http://www.flysas.com/en/eurobonus/e...nts/all-seats/
Old Feb 20, 2014, 6:48 am

Programs: SAS EBG, Flying Blu Gold, Etihad Gold
I can 'triple' confirm this, I booked P&C in november and earned points. Called my contact inside EB to check if something was wrong, but no - you do earn points! So, EB got my vote in some categories in this years Freddie awards!

Last edited by Silferlood; Feb 20, 2014 at 7:26 am
Old Feb 20, 2014, 7:43 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Gold, IHG Plat AMB
Originally Posted by Silferlood
I can 'triple' confirm this, I booked P&C in november and earned points. Called my contact inside EB to check if something was wrong, but no - you do earn points! So, EB got my vote in some categories in this years Freddie awards!
As I have no real use for EB points anymore, I will book all tickets with P&C and just use 1000 more than I am set to earn. They should slowly diminish whilst saving me money at the same time!
Old Feb 25, 2014, 11:19 pm

Programs: A3*G, FB Gold, EB
Great catch guys. What are the fares / booking classes for cash+points tickets? In there a way to know this before making the booking?

In other words, any chance such tickets might earn points in another *A program?
Old Mar 3, 2014, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
My guess would be that C+P will give you points only for EB not other *A programmes.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 9:38 am

Programs: A3 Gold, SK Silver, AB Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
It looks like things have changed. When I checked c+p prices last time on 31st March, it cost 10k points for the cheapest intra-Nordic ticket (for example a ticket that would cost ~80eur if you buy as a regular ticket), which was 2k fewer than a normal Eurobonus ticket. Now it costs 30k!

It's similar for a domestic c+p ticket. The lowest price is now 15k instead of 5k.

Part of Eurobonus 2.0 changes?
Old Apr 3, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: EBG (SK*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by teekkari
It looks like things have changed. When I checked c+p prices last time on 31st March, it cost 10k points for the cheapest intra-Nordic ticket (for example a ticket that would cost ~80eur if you buy as a regular ticket), which was 2k fewer than a normal Eurobonus ticket. Now it costs 30k!

It's similar for a domestic c+p ticket. The lowest price is now 15k instead of 5k.

Points value have definitely gone down.. long-haul has doubled from 60k to 120k! Typical..
Old Apr 3, 2014, 11:16 am

Programs: SAS EBG, IHG Spire Amb, CCG
Originally Posted by SecretGuy
Points value have definitely gone down.. long-haul has doubled from 60k to 120k! Typical..
Yes, but the value per point has also gone up in some cases.

I'm seing 110 000 for a 22000 NOK C oneway to EWR. If this change is permanent, I prefer it to the old system.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 12:51 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
I am lost here.

I just planned for a points+cash trip, trying to "earn status miles" by earning PLUS fares paying partly with points, but this became really interesting:
When buying an "OK" PLUS fare, the fare jumped ridiculously when trying to pay partly with points so that the "base" where it started to deduct points became higher = not attractive anymore??? A glitch? Or is this something SAS has built in order to not buy "too-well-earning" fares from points perspective?

The award charts still show 60k GO and 100k BIZ Nordic-USA and people are reporting increased long-haul points here?
Old Apr 3, 2014, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by FFlash
I am lost here.

I just planned for a points+cash trip, trying to "earn status miles" by earning PLUS fares paying partly with points, but this became really interesting:
When buying an "OK" PLUS fare, the fare jumped ridiculously when trying to pay partly with points so that the "base" where it started to deduct points became higher = not attractive anymore??? A glitch? Or is this something SAS has built in order to not buy "too-well-earning" fares from points perspective?

The award charts still show 60k GO and 100k BIZ Nordic-USA and people are reporting increased long-haul points here?
The award tix are the same price, however Go on the Cash+Points combo seem to have doubled. The biz tickets are now "cheaper" (ie. 100k one-way on long-haul to EWR/IAD/ORD). The award tickets (with much less availability) are the same pointprice wise.

It's quite an interesting system, seeing as the points have way higher $$-value when using it to book business tickets on Cash+Points. I would prefer the value to be the same as before on Go though. As long as there was a decent amount of seats left, the price in points on Cash+Points were about the same as with award tickets (which is probably why they changed it in the first place)..
Old Apr 4, 2014, 12:50 am

Programs: A3 Gold, SK Silver, AB Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by teekkari

Now 10k for domestic and 20k for intra-Nordic. Are they testing the system?
Old Apr 4, 2014, 2:19 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by SecretGuy
What a rip-off for economy class trips connecting Scandinavia with the US. As of late, it's been relatively easy to get a $400-$600 roundtrip ticket for such trips-- and the trips would even earn miles on these regular paid tickets which have more available space for booking than SK long-haul flights using points. [And the alternative to SK on such TATL trips mostly involve fuel surcharges if using SK points.]
Old Apr 4, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: Kimpton Inner Circle; IHG Spire elite; Marriott & SPG Gold, r
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-e...l#post22648415

We paid $400 and 28,000 points for the tickets last August when the cash price was $800. (SFO - CPH)
Old Apr 4, 2014, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Thanks for letting us know!
Old Apr 11, 2014, 9:10 am

The new price list for Points+Cash is here:
http://j17351-bonusresa.azurewebsite.../pricelist.pdf
Silver gets 10% discount on the points prices, Gold 20% and Diamond 30%

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.