Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

About to miss flight CPH-LHR, process for rebooking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2014, 3:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.

I'm stuck at a railway station in Sweden - my train to CPH is delayed by 78 minutes and I will definitely be missing my flight. My fare is the cheapest non-flexible one available (T) class and will certainly be forfeited (I presume that SK has no "flat tire" policy, and class availability for the next flight is currently showing C2 D2 Z1 R1 J2 Y2 S1 B0 P0 A0 E1 M1 H1). However, my travel insurance will cover a new ticket, and the next available flight is also on SK. But I won't have a huge amount of time to get myself booked and checked in for that one, so I am keen to go to the right counter without wasting time once I finally get to CPH. Should I go to a ticket counter, or can they do this for me at check-in? Will they be able to transfer the taxes paid for the flight I missed? And is there any reason for me to phone SAS reservations beforehand (I'd rather not unless I have to in case there's an additional delay and I miss that flight too).
Old Jan 2, 2014, 3:51 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
In that situation my instinct would be to immediately call SAS reservations.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 4:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tsastor
In that situation my instinct would be to immediately call SAS reservations.
Thanks. You humoured me to try, but there's a current waiting time of 57 minutes and I'm not keen to pay roaming charges for that long.

Interestingly, there is something on the SJ website about a rebooking deal between SJ and SAS, but that seems to apply to ARN only:

"Vid försenat tåg erbjuds du ombokning till första möjliga flygning med SAS (SK/KF). Detsamma gäller vid försenat flyg. Garantin gäller vid transfer mellan SJ och SK/KF på Arlanda, både vid ankomst och avresa. Om en anslutning bryts tar det bolag som är ansvarigt för förseningen hand om ombokningen, som sker på Arlanda. Kontakta personalen för att boka om biljetten.
För att kunna nyttja komma-fram-garantin måste transfertiden mellan tåg och flyg vara minst 45 minuter för inrikes resor samt 60 minuter för resor inom Skandinavien och resten av Europa. Komma-fram-garantin gäller även för Resplusbiljetter. "
Old Jan 2, 2014, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
Thanks. You humoured me to try, but there's a current waiting time of 57 minutes and I'm not keen to pay roaming charges for that long.
Try any of the numbers, Danish, Swedish or Norwegian. The waiting time might be different. They used to have a system where you could leave your number and be called back when you reached the head of the line. Never tried with a foreign phone though. It was part of the messages once you had waited a short while.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Thanks both for your suggestions. The story has a happy ending. By the time I arrived at CPH, my flight had not only closed, but left. However, a kind soul at the ticket office assisted by an equally charitable supervisor found a way of rebooking me onto the next flight without charge, which I'd never even dared dreamed was possible. So I'm starting the year feeling very warmly disposed towards SAS. Even the facts that they still haven't found a way to retrieve UA status in their booking system since Mileage Plus adopted the new FF numbers (what is it? nearly two years ago?), and that the only "food" in the Scandinavian lounge was liver paté, salad, and cheese cubes, didn't diminish the warm glow for me. But I am mindful of having been very lucky, and having used up yet another one of my frequent flier nine lives.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 12:39 pm

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Very nice outcome.
Are you aware that there is a possibility of refund or part refund from SJ when they are delayed?
Depends on whose fault it is and on how long the delay is.

Here is a link to the claim form ( in Swedish )

https://www.sj.se/support/contactrtg...=8754&a=112285

and in English :

The times when I have used the form I have made up a random personal identity number ( without one you cannot submit the form ) and given my real
( not swedish ) personal identity number later in the form as a comment.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 1:51 pm

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
However, a kind soul at the ticket office assisted by an equally charitable supervisor found a way of rebooking me onto the next flight without charge, which I'd never even dared dreamed was possible. So I'm starting the year feeling very warmly disposed towards SAS.
That's the good old Scandinavian way. I'm really happy for you!
Old Jan 2, 2014, 6:46 pm

Programs: bahn.bonus, FB, EB
Originally Posted by helosc
Very nice outcome.
Are you aware that there is a possibility of refund or part refund from SJ when they are delayed?
Depends on whose fault it is and on how long the delay is.

Here is a link to the claim form ( in Swedish )

and in English :

But note that the regional Öresundståg have nothing to do with SJ. Their claims procedure is here:

http://www.oresundstag.se/Kundtjanst/Resegarantin/

In the normal case, you should contact the regional transit authority in the county where you started your trip.

The times when I have used the form I have made up a random personal identity number ( without one you cannot submit the form ) and given my real
Speaking of nothing, I once had to fake a Danish eight-digit phone number to be able to submit the DSB lost-and-found form...
Old Jan 3, 2014, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Why would you make one up only to give the real one later, in the "wrong" place?
Old Jan 3, 2014, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Why would you make one up only to give the real one later, in the "wrong" place?
Swedish personal numbers are of the format YYMMDD-XXXX, while, e.g., Danish CPR numbers are DDMMYY-XXXX. Bureaucrats and companies in both countries have a bad habit of regarding people not having such a number as non-existing.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by Will Fly Småland
Swedish personal numbers are of the format YYMMDD-XXXX, while, e.g., Danish CPR numbers are DDMMYY-XXXX. Bureaucrats and companies in both countries have a bad habit of regarding people not having such a number as non-existing.
Yes, sure - but his question is valid: Why put in a fake personnummer in the "personnummer" field and write down the real personnummer in an unappropriate field like the comment section? To avoid automatic filtering or processing?
Old Jan 3, 2014, 8:45 am

Yes, normally online forms check that the format is valid. Often including the checksum in the last digit of the Swedish numbers.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 9:07 am

Erm, yes - that's why I would put in my REAL number in the correct field - and not a fake one.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 10:24 am

This is getting silly, but OK...

I believe the poster in question stated that he does not have a Swedish number, which is what you need for the form.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 11:12 am

Ah, just re-read the answer from helosc. He doesn't have a Swedish one

Sorry for the confusion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.