Wiki Posts
Search

A little booking help needed

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2013, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: SAS/A* DIAMOND/GOLD, GHA Black, HHonors Diamond
A little booking help needed

I'm moving 4 pax + myself across the Atlantics in March, and I would appreciate all help from more experienced flyers.

4 pax must travel together. They'll travel CPH (March 5th/6th) to NYC and stay there for a few days. NYC-AUSTIN/HOUSTON on 10th/11th and back to CPH on 16th/17th.

What is the best way to book this with focus on cost mainly - taking into consideration the 3 stop routing? Airline is optional

Further; I'm going same route 6th or 7th, on to Houston/Austin on 10/11th and back to Copenhagen on 15th/16th. I fly Plus or Business.
I want to earn Eurobonus points and secure gold again - is the best way to book this just through the SAS call center? Would you recommend Plus and the go for Optiontown on upgrade?

Best - and thanks. I'm still a rookie on this.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 12:33 pm

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
BA will be operating a new 787-800 to AUS from LHR in March, it would be my preferred flight. Alternative is SK via ORD or EWR, so it boils down to price and/or routing/airplane preference. Immigration is considerably faster at AUS then EWR/ORD.

If you want layovers on a single itinerary to work with SK I'd strongly recommend booking over the phone. With BA it works fine on the website.

Optiontown is your best way to land an upgrade.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
BA will be operating a new 787-800 to AUS from LHR in March, it would be my preferred flight. Alternative is SK via ORD or EWR, so it boils down to price and/or routing/airplane preference. Immigration is considerably faster at AUS then EWR/ORD.

If you want layovers on a single itinerary to work with SK I'd strongly recommend booking over the phone. With BA it works fine on the website.

Optiontown is your best way to land an upgrade.
Awesome answer - thanks! Can't get any direct flights on BA website, though. How strong are chances for OT upgrade on those days - do you know? Otherwise I'll might just buy it from the beginning. Always nice to save a few bucks, though.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 3:12 pm

Programs: EBD, AB OWS (Gold)
Originally Posted by don_hansen
Awesome answer - thanks! Can't get any direct flights on BA website, though. How strong are chances for OT upgrade on those days - do you know? Otherwise I'll might just buy it from the beginning. Always nice to save a few bucks, though.
You can never be sure with OT. Things happen quickly some times, but in general I'd guess that your chances are not good, being that the dates are mid week. Use FlightStats to see availability.

Prices for multi city trips are about 6300 dkr. You can use Kayak.dk and Hipmunk.com to get some ideas.

You can book the tickets on United (via Hipmunk) for 1154 usd:

Wed., 5 Mar., 2014 | Copenhagen, Denmark (CPH) to New York/Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty) SK909

Mon., 10 Mar., 2014 | New York/Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty) to Houston, TX (IAH - Intercontinental) UA1695

Sun., 16 Mar., 2014 | Houston, TX (IAH - Intercontinental) to Copenhagen, Denmark (CPH) UA709 to ORD and SK944 to CPH

Try calling SAS and see if they can match the price.

As far as saving a few bucks and scoring a lot of points, I have a similar flight in April that gets 23800 eb points for about 1000 kr more for the flight. I just add a 2 day trip to EZE to the itinerary.

Playing around I found the following for 7378 dkr:

CPH-MUC 5 Mar sk or lh
MUC-EWR 5 Mar ua of lh
EWR-IAH-EZE 8 Mar ua/ua
EZE-IAH 10 Mar ua
IAH-ORD-MUC 16 Mar ua/lh
MUC-CPH 17 Mar sk or lh

This gets 23300 points (lh to and from CPH) or 23800 (sk to and from CPH)

I guess it depends on how hardcore you are - 2 night flights with one overnight in EZE. I'm looking forward to enjoying a Sunday wandering through the markets.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gakke
You can never be sure with OT. Things happen quickly some times, but in general I'd guess that your chances are not good, being that the dates are mid week. Use FlightStats to see availability.

Prices for multi city trips are about 6300 dkr. You can use Kayak.dk and Hipmunk.com to get some ideas.

You can book the tickets on United (via Hipmunk) for 1154 usd:

Wed., 5 Mar., 2014 | Copenhagen, Denmark (CPH) to New York/Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty) SK909

Mon., 10 Mar., 2014 | New York/Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty) to Houston, TX (IAH - Intercontinental) UA1695

Sun., 16 Mar., 2014 | Houston, TX (IAH - Intercontinental) to Copenhagen, Denmark (CPH) UA709 to ORD and SK944 to CPH

Try calling SAS and see if they can match the price.

As far as saving a few bucks and scoring a lot of points, I have a similar flight in April that gets 23800 eb points for about 1000 kr more for the flight. I just add a 2 day trip to EZE to the itinerary.

Playing around I found the following for 7378 dkr:

CPH-MUC 5 Mar sk or lh
MUC-EWR 5 Mar ua of lh
EWR-IAH-EZE 8 Mar ua/ua
EZE-IAH 10 Mar ua
IAH-ORD-MUC 16 Mar ua/lh
MUC-CPH 17 Mar sk or lh

This gets 23300 points (lh to and from CPH) or 23800 (sk to and from CPH)

I guess it depends on how hardcore you are - 2 night flights with one overnight in EZE. I'm looking forward to enjoying a Sunday wandering through the markets.
This is so awesome!! Thanks!! What tool do you use to "play around"?

best!
Old Dec 17, 2013, 5:37 am

Programs: EBD, AB OWS (Gold)
ITA and of course FlyerTalk!
Old Dec 18, 2013, 1:16 pm

Programs: OZ*G, AZ Gold, Etihad Gold, SK*G, BA Silver
ITA (matrix.itasoftware.com) is great. But if you want the cavalry, check out Flightfox (see my signature)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.