Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

LN-RKP ferried from Chile to Toulouse [merged non-retrofitted A340 thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LN-RKP ferried from Chile to Toulouse [merged non-retrofitted A340 thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2019, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Airlines do not guarantee the seat or airplane type, they do reserve their right to change that. If you read the text for the upgrade bidding, they don't mentioned that they will upgrade you to the new cabin, just added comfort and services of business class and you for that.

As someone mentioned up thread, if you write a note to them, simple, factual, and short to express your disappointment you might get some Eurobonus points. If you go in with a lawyer and all of the bells and whistles of the competition commission SK will just block completely and you will get nothing. Except lawyers bills potentially

I don't disagree that it is a bummer when it happens, and if you read this thread people go through hoops and hurdles to avoid this plane. However you will also see no compensation is forthcoming.
highupinthesky likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 3:27 pm

Programs: SK-EBD
Originally Posted by highupinthesky
... when SE-RSA (A350) arrives late August, which is about 3 months before the last official plan.
Interesting. And a bit strange.

There has been no official word at all of cabin layout, route considerations etc. So August is early. At least it might be, that the bird will not be used for normal longhaul for weeks/months until some familiarization has happened.
Old May 6, 2019, 5:25 pm

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by chmielko
I am however not, and my point of view differs. Both OCCP and lawyers' understanding was similar and they pointed out to the same exact example that you mentioned, i.e. hotels (sorry for misquoting ). You might just as well receive all of the perks if you upgrade your hotel room (i.e. larger room, bed, bathroom, better food, dedicated check-in area), but that upgraded hotel room might just simply NOT be the same as you've seen in the advertisement and the photos you were tempted by.
I have probably been staying in +100 different hotel rooms on +50 different hotels. About 5 hotels has been my second home for a couple of years each. So far, I've never been in a room where the pictures on their website was taken from. Those pictures are often taken in different rooms, and then they pick the best picture from each room

If that is the case for the complaint, why does the airline case differs here?
That's what I've been trying to tell you all the time. There are no difference in the 2 case. In both cases, you can complain and you should, but you are not entitled to any compensation. If you get any compensation it will be down to courtesy not because you are entitled to anything.
I also wrote from the beginning, that I do think you should complain to SAS. You can't get anything less than no and you might get some EB points out of courtesy. But to go to a lawyer will just be a massive waist of time and money.

Last edited by highupinthesky; May 6, 2019 at 5:40 pm
Old May 6, 2019, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by Tango Alpha
Interesting. And a bit strange.

There has been no official word at all of cabin layout, route considerations etc. So August is early. At least it might be, that the bird will not be used for normal longhaul for weeks/months until some familiarization has happened.
As you can see in another tread, the first A350 for SK is currently being assembled, so I'm pretty sure the cabin layout has been finalized. We will probably see a media campaign once the dust from the last strike has settled.
Regarding routes. It's been announced years ago that the A350's are going to replace the A340's. I strongly doubt we will see an announcement that SK will keep the A340's as they did with the A330's. Even the November arrival is to close for that.
Old May 7, 2019, 2:24 am

As you can see in another tread, the first A350 for SK is currently being assembled, so I'm pretty sure the cabin layout has been finalized. We will probably see a media campaign once the dust from the last strike has settled.
Sure. Then SAS VP Eivind Roald confirmed the selection in 2017. But no information at all has been published.

Regarding routes. It's been announced years ago that the A350's are going to replace the A340's.
But that doesn't necessarily mean that the 350’s will fly (all) the 340 routes – eg doing ORD, PEK, HKG or even SFO. Seems that the A330E can do that from CPH. The bigger aircraft might serve EWR even if it is close.

We will see soon, I guess.
Old May 7, 2019, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by Tango Alpha
But that doesn't necessarily mean that the 350’s will fly (all) the 340 routes – eg doing ORD, PEK, HKG or even SFO. Seems that the A330E can do that from CPH. The bigger aircraft might serve EWR even if it is close.

We will see soon, I guess.
There are only a few routes which currently can only be served by the A340's. The rest of the routes are served based on their demand for seats and cargo. The A350's wont change that, so if there is a demand for more seats or cargo on the EWR routes we will for sure see the A350's on rotations there.

I doubt we will see any big route changes until the A321LR starts arriving in 2021.
Old May 7, 2019, 11:13 am

There are only a few routes which currently can only be served by the A340's. The rest of the routes are served based on their demand for seats and cargo. The A350's wont change that, so if there is a demand for more seats or cargo on the EWR routes we will for sure see the A350's on rotations there.

I doubt we will see any big route changes until the A321LR starts arriving in 2021.
Nor do I. But A321LR will arrive H1 2020.
Old May 8, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: SK*G (EBD)
No they did not. The business class in LN-RKP is the one from when the plane flew for LAN airlines. That business class was actually an improvement until SK upgraded the rest of their A3xx birds about 5 years ago.
Exactly! I remember when getting a RKP rotation meant winning the lottery. Now it is losing the lottery. But it is still way better than economy / PE. Oh how spoiled we are.
highupinthesky likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Any new rumours yet about future routes? Are the A350s complementing the current fleet and are we going to see new and hopefully useful destinations or are they simply going to rotate out the older A330/A340s?
Old May 12, 2019, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
Any new rumours yet about future routes? Are the A350s complementing the current fleet and are we going to see new and hopefully useful destinations or are they simply going to rotate out the older A330/A340s?
The message so far is the A350's will replace the A340's, and I strongly doubt we will see SK keeping the A340's like they did with the A330's. The route changes will probably come together with the A321LH's.
Old May 13, 2019, 2:38 am

Programs: M&M
Looking forward to hear from you.
Originally Posted by GFrye
What's your lawyer's specialty?
Sports law? Family law? Shipping law?

Because it sure doesn't seem to be contract law...
A promised update on my case described earlier in this thread, in particular to all of fellow travellers who did not fancy my chances.
SAS confirmed my perspective, they have acknowledged my reasoning described above and have today refunded me the full cost of the upgrade (approx. SEK 6000k) to my bank account.

Cheers!
SK2751 likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 5:09 am

A promised update on my case described earlier in this thread, in particular to all of fellow travellers who did not fancy my chances.
SAS confirmed my perspective, they have acknowledged my reasoning described above and have today refunded me the full cost of the upgrade (approx. SEK 6000k) to my bank account.

Cheers!
For multiple reasons I have a hard time believing you. But if it's true it's definitely a new policy at SK and I just want to congratulate you for sticking with your position.

Last edited by highupinthesky; May 13, 2019 at 6:10 am
Old May 13, 2019, 5:45 am

Programs: M&M
For multiple reasons I kind of don't believe you. But if it's true it's definitely a new policy at SK and I just want to congratulate you for sticking with your position.
You don't need to and thank you for the congratulations. I personally have got no reasons whatsoever to misinform any users here in the forum, especially given their to-date support in this and any other threads.
Old May 13, 2019, 11:11 am

I have twice received full upgrade miles refund (35k) when in the same situation.
Old May 13, 2019, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by SkOrdBgo
I have twice received full upgrade miles refund (35k) when in the same situation.
There is a big difference between miles refund and money refund. Often when you complain about being stuck on the old lady SK will award you some EB points out of courtesy as compensation. I've never heard before that they refund money or hand out vouchers for future flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.