Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

LN-RKP ferried from Chile to Toulouse [merged non-retrofitted A340 thread]

LN-RKP ferried from Chile to Toulouse [merged non-retrofitted A340 thread]

Reply

Old Jul 4, 19, 9:30 am
  #526  
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: 150km from MAN
Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Posts: 26,773
Moderator note

Several posts discussing SE-REH have been moved to the following thread:

New longhaul aircraft and cabins from 2015 / 2018


NewbieRunner
Senior Moderator
NewbieRunner is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 19, 12:57 pm
  #527  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 334
Originally Posted by JakobBengt View Post
Flying on SK901 on Saturday 6th of July and it is LN-RKP doing the run as per the seatmap ...

What is annoying is that SAS is acting like this plane does not exist or is just a reserve plane when it is a sub-standard product being a clear part of their normal fleet for the last few years ...
Nope - RKP will be operating SK909 (the morning departure) on Saturday. SK901 is a 'regular' A340 configuration
H.J.Simpson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 19, 6:56 pm
  #528  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 37
Hallaleujuah!!! Yahoooo!!!

https://airlinerwatch.com/first-airb...sas-fleet/amp/

“The first aircraft to leave the airline's A340 fleet is the 22-year-old four-engine widebody registered LN-RKP.”

😊😁😊😇🤑
SkOrdBgo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 19, 11:16 pm
  #529  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Programs: EuroBonus, Miles & More, Radisson Rewards, Hilton Honors, AVIS preferred, and others
Posts: 863
I'm afraid it's to early to celebrate. According to flightradar24 the old lady is still in CPH and it's very seldom that birds are re-registered just for a ferried flight.
highupinthesky is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 19, 2:56 am
  #530  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 36,553
Hmm... the aircraft had its last flight into CPH on July10. The article dated July 11 says:

The LN-RKP was already taken out of service and was sent to Tarbes in southwestern France, where it will be scrapped.
LDE is a big A340 recycling shop (Tarmac Aero, owned by Airbus/Safran/Suez). They claim to have recylced 75% of all A340
oliver2002 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 19, 4:23 am
  #531  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Programs: *G
Posts: 388
SE-REH was also flown to CPH on July 5th, and the article says delivery was July 10th...
studentCPH is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 19, 2:40 pm
  #532  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Programs: EuroBonus, Miles & More, Radisson Rewards, Hilton Honors, AVIS preferred, and others
Posts: 863
The old lady is doing the late EWR rotation today, so I think it's safe to say airlinerwatch.com is far from the truth.

Also I strongly doubt any spare parts will be returned to SK after the old lady has been parted out. Mainly because A340 spare parts are plenty available and cheap, so why waste money on disassembling the bird in a way that spare parts can be reused and the pay for getting heavy pieces like old engines shipped back to SK when the last A340 is expected to be WFU by end 2021. SK is probably getting a better price for selling the bird as is and leave it to the new owner to decide which parts can be reused and which can't. Had it been an A330 it would have been a different discussion.
highupinthesky is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 19, 3:26 pm
  #533  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: FRA, JFK
Programs: A3*G, M/M
Posts: 121
The article on airlinerwatch.com seems weird in several points.
Are they really saying that SE-REH is going to be located in the US?

Well. let's see when SE-REH will be ready for the first revenue flight...
Chiller3333 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 19, 3:45 pm
  #534  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Programs: EuroBonus, Miles & More, Radisson Rewards, Hilton Honors, AVIS preferred, and others
Posts: 863
Originally Posted by Chiller3333 View Post
The article on airlinerwatch.com seems weird in several points.
Are they really saying that SE-REH is going to be located in the US?
I agree that article is weird and plain out wrong on several points, but I didn't spot the error with the location of SE-REH. I'm 99.9999999% sure SE-REH is not going to be located in US, but apparently every bird had to be certified individually for flying in and out of US. I think it was Germanwings who almost burned their fingers some weeks ago, when a flight had to return to DUS after a couple of hours flying, because they suddenly discovered that the replacement bird they were using wasn't certified for US and had they continued they would have been facing a heavy fine.

Originally Posted by Chiller3333 View Post
Well. let's see when SE-REH will be ready for the first revenue flight...
SK stated June 15-16 which is probably close to be right.
highupinthesky is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 19, 4:56 pm
  #535  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: FRA, JFK
Programs: A3*G, M/M
Posts: 121
Originally Posted by highupinthesky View Post
I agree that article is weird and plain out wrong on several points, but I didn't spot the error with the location of SE-REH. I'm 99.9999999% sure SE-REH is not going to be located in US, but apparently every bird had to be certified individually for flying in and out of US. I think it was Germanwings who almost burned their fingers some weeks ago, when a flight had to return to DUS after a couple of hours flying, because they suddenly discovered that the replacement bird they were using wasn't certified for US and had they continued they would have been facing a heavy fine.
I remember reading about that. Must have been Eurowings on their DUS-EWR flight I guess.
Couldn't find an article rn but that shows how important it is to file everything with the FAA.

Originally Posted by highupinthesky View Post
SK stated June 15-16 which is probably close to be right.
Where is that info coming from?
Sounds very reasonable.
Let's hope LN-RKP will be retired soon after.
Chiller3333 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 19, 8:55 am
  #536  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 36,553
Sorry EASA certification of an aircraft is enough for the FAA. The EW aircraft had to turn around because the complex wetlease deal SN/EW had set up was not approved by the DOT. More on this mess is here: https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/n...-blames-france

New Airbii can fly to the US pretty much instantly. Any modifications done to EASA certified aircraft need to be approved by the FAA if its operated under the US flag. Delta does this with all new Airbus deliveries.
If SAS is doing some retrofits in CPH on SE-REH (not everything in the cabin and flight deck is line fit in TLS/XFW) then the Danish regulator has to approve the work. Every new aircraft has this done so there should be some routine for that. Danish approval is in line with EASA and accepted by the FAA or for that matter any other country SAS flies to.
oliver2002 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 19, 11:43 am
  #537  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Programs: SK Eurobonus Diamond, BAEC Silver
Posts: 421
Originally Posted by highupinthesky View Post
The old lady is doing the late EWR rotation today, so I think it's safe to say airlinerwatch.com is far from the truth.

Also I strongly doubt any spare parts will be returned to SK after the old lady has been parted out. Mainly because A340 spare parts are plenty available and cheap, so why waste money on disassembling the bird in a way that spare parts can be reused and the pay for getting heavy pieces like old engines shipped back to SK when the last A340 is expected to be WFU by end 2021. SK is probably getting a better price for selling the bird as is and leave it to the new owner to decide which parts can be reused and which can't. Had it been an A330 it would have been a different discussion.
And she is currently heading for Shanghai as SK997.

Svantevit
Svantevit is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 19, 12:24 pm
  #538  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 663
Originally Posted by highupinthesky View Post
I think it was Germanwings who almost burned their fingers some weeks ago, when a flight had to return to DUS after a couple of hours flying, because they suddenly discovered that the replacement bird they were using wasn't certified for US and had they continued they would have been facing a heavy fine.
Oops: Brussels Airlines’ Nine Hour Flight To Nowhere

Brussels Airlines’ flight from Brussels to Washington (SN515) is usually in the air for about 8-8.5 hours, at least based on looking at flight tracking for the past couple of weeks. Yesterday the flight was in the air for around nine hours… and it landed back in Brussels.

That’s right, Brussels Airlines operated a roughly nine hour flight from Brussels to Brussels, as the plane turned around halfway over the Atlantic. The plane took off at 12:30PM, and landed back in Brussels at 9:15PM

The flight was supposed to be operated with an A330-200 that had the registration code OO-SFZ, but it got swapped last minute for operational reasons. The plane was then operated by an A330-300 that had the registration code OO-SFL.
There are some interesting things about this plane:
  • It flew for Lufthansa until March 2019
  • Then it was transferred to Brussels Airlines, and it began flying for them as of May 18, 2019
  • While the plane is flown by Brussels Airlines, it’s technically registered to Eurowings, given that it has an “OO” registration code
  • This is part of Brussels Airlines being integrated into Eurowings, which is their low cost carrier
  • This was the plane’s first flight to the US since it was re-registered as a Brussels Airlines/Eurowings plane
GFrye is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 19, 2:05 pm
  #539  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 36,553
Omaat is only good for premium cabin seat reviews and the article you quote is BS.. The DOT doesn't allow EW op by SN wetlease. They made a mistake. The aircraft had to turn around.

This has absolutely no implications on SAS. The SAS widebodies all operate under the SAS AOC, not wet lease involved. Yes SAS aircrafts are leased but operate under the SAS AOC.
oliver2002 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 19, 2:18 pm
  #540  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Programs: EuroBonus, Miles & More, Radisson Rewards, Hilton Honors, AVIS preferred, and others
Posts: 863
Originally Posted by Chiller3333 View Post
I remember reading about that. Must have been Eurowings on their DUS-EWR flight I guess.
Couldn't find an article rn but that shows how important it is to file everything with the FAA.
You can very well be right.

Originally Posted by Chiller3333 View Post
Where is that info coming from?
Sounds very reasonable.
It were stated in a number of articles when SE-REH were delivered, with SK as source

Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
Sorry EASA certification of an aircraft is enough for the FAA. The EW aircraft had to turn around because the complex wetlease deal SN/EW had set up was not approved by the DOT. More on this mess is here: https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/n...-blames-france

New Airbii can fly to the US pretty much instantly. Any modifications done to EASA certified aircraft need to be approved by the FAA if its operated under the US flag. Delta does this with all new Airbus deliveries.
If SAS is doing some retrofits in CPH on SE-REH (not everything in the cabin and flight deck is line fit in TLS/XFW) then the Danish regulator has to approve the work. Every new aircraft has this done so there should be some routine for that. Danish approval is in line with EASA and accepted by the FAA or for that matter any other country SAS flies to.
I only have the information I get from various media, and the 2 weeks US certification were mentioned in multiple articles with SK as reference in every one. But I'm a little puzzled about the delay, as I don't remember any of the 4 A330's delivered to SK about 3 years ago having a 2 weeks rest after their delivery flight. So wondering whether it's retribution after EASA decided to detrust FAA
highupinthesky is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread