Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

LN-RKP ferried from Chile to Toulouse [merged non-retrofitted A340 thread]

LN-RKP ferried from Chile to Toulouse [merged non-retrofitted A340 thread]

Old Oct 26, 2018, 5:07 pm

My wife and I had United business award tickets CPH to EWR @70,000 miles each. When checking in, I noticed our seats had changed which lead me to believe we were now on LN-RKP. Long story short, SAS refunded 30,000 of the 70,000 miles. For an OK business class experience at 40,000 miles – I’ll take that any day.
SK2751 and ScandiFlyer like this.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 4:12 pm
Suspended

You had booked the flight with UA miles, and SK gave you EB points to compensate you for having to fly on LN-RKP?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 3:27 pm

Programs: SK-EBD
Ferry flight til HKG. Is this the end for LN-RKP?

DATE FROM TO FLIGHT FLIGHT TIME STD ATD STA
28 Jan 2019Copenhagen (CPH)Hong Kong (HKG)
SK9135—13:4016:3707:30

EDIT: Found this in another thread from today. Not sure about the implications for LN-RKP. But maybe not a retirement right now?

SK 997 - Cancelled

Last edited by Tango Alpha; Jan 28, 2019 at 3:36 pm
Old Jan 28, 2019, 10:25 pm

Programs: SK EBG
Apparently it's time for a C-check so it will be away for a while.

New A330E is due to be delivered in late May, in service in June.
Tango Alpha likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 5:57 am

If they put money into a c-check, does this mean its airworthiness are extended for more years, i.e. the "spare aircraft" will be utilized as we have seen the past couple of years?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by H.J.Simpson
If they put money into a c-check, does this mean its airworthiness are extended for more years, i.e. the "spare aircraft" will be utilized as we have seen the past couple of years?
It seems a reasonable assumption. Why would they pay for a C check and scrap it basically by the time the check is done? Fair enough if they do, but then they should also put a bit of investment in to the cabins.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:47 pm

How much of the C-check is based on the motors? I suppose they might keep those.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by afirm
How much of the C-check is based on the motors? I suppose they might keep those.
A C check is for the airframe only, maintenance flow for the enigines is seperate from the air frame checks.

Since there is little market for an A340 that old, it would be a good guess that if they scrap it, they wold keep the engines.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:57 am

Programs: More than one
I doubt the engines are worth much. First of all because, as other states, there are many A340 stored around the world, so spare engines are probably plenty available.
Second because an aircraft engine need major overhaul between 15.000-25.000 flight hours. Normally this mean replacing the engine with a refurbished engine. If we take the old lady and assume she had new engines when SK procured her and give the engines the full life of 25.000 hours. It means she would have been able to fly to New York and back around 1500 times. If we say she did that 150 times a year, it will mean the engines can last for 10 years max. SK procured the lady in November 2013 meaning the engines is now 5,5 year into their maximum life.
In reality
The engines were probably a couple of years old when SK procured the bird.
The engines are an older design, so they are probably closer to 15.000 hours than 25.000 hours between major overhaul.
The old lady has been used a lot on CPH-ORD, CPH-SFO and CPH-NRT which is between 2-4 hours longer each way.

The trip to HKG could be preparation for scrapping. The B737's which are being scrapped currently are all spending about a month in Oslo before they are ferried to Shannon etc. for scrapping. Currently LN-RRX has been in OSL for 2 weeks. https://uk.flightaware.com/live/flight/LNRRX.
But SK hasn't announced anything, and as we saw in the recent weeks. They need the old lady as an spare bird when another bird is down for maintenance.

Last edited by highupinthesky; Jan 30, 2019 at 8:42 am
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:27 am

Yes, there are a lot 5Cs around... not much of a shortage like for the 5Bx versions of the CFM56
Old Feb 7, 2019, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by highupinthesky
I doubt the engines are worth much.
The engines are worth a lot. They are the newest A340-engines in the SAS fleet and with several A340 still in the fleet for years they will have good use of them. It was basicly because of the engines SAS decided to buy the aircraft a couple of years ago.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by ScandiFlyer
The engines are worth a lot. They are the newest A340-engines in the SAS fleet and with several A340 still in the fleet for years they will have good use of them. It was basicly because of the engines SAS decided to buy the aircraft a couple of years ago.
The engines might have been the newest in the SK fleet when SK purchased the old lady, and you are correct it was one of the reasons why she was chosen over some of the other available A330/340, but if you read my post from January 30 again, you will see that those engines are either close to end of life, or they have been completely refurbished at least once since the bird was purchased. Engines on a plane are worn down just like engines on a car and at some point in time they need to be replaced or refurbished.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 1:16 pm

Programs: TK Gold
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/a...n-rkp#1f72bdfb

Flying back to CPH today!
Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tobiashenry
Too short a visit for a C or D check. Probably also too short to get new cabins

LN-RKG operated the flight to Hong Kong, so I guess that is now visiting the maintenance facility in Hong Kong?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 2:32 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Too short a visit for a C or D check. Probably also too short to get new cabins

LN-RKG operated the flight to Hong Kong, so I guess that is now visiting the maintenance facility in Hong Kong?
Nope.LN-RKG flew back today. Beside that LN-RKP returned to CPH before LN-RKG arrived at HKG, but LN-RKR is currently in HKG after arriving On February 9. LN-RKP's return flight matches the flight LN-RKR should have done.
But I agree. The stay was to short for a full C or D check. Just a little more than 2 weeks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.