Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

LN-RKP ferried from Chile to Toulouse [merged non-retrofitted A340 thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LN-RKP ferried from Chile to Toulouse [merged non-retrofitted A340 thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2017, 3:25 pm

Programs: SK-EBD
There is NO plan to refurbish LN-RKP – according to Eivind Roald, when I asked him about the matter at the Meet & Greet in CPH.

He refers to the limited time, the A/C is needed without saying directly, that the plane will be sold in two-three years.

And he gets a bit polemic asking if I won’t prefer to fly LN-RKP instead of getting stranded somewhere.

Well if it was a real spare aircraft seldom used... But it flies all the time. A quick check: 3 CPH-EWR rotations the last week.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 12:57 am

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by Tango Alpha
There is NO plan to refurbish LN-RKP – according to Eivind Roald, when I asked him about the matter at the Meet & Greet in CPH.

He refers to the limited time, the A/C is needed without saying directly, that the plane will be sold in two-three years.

And he gets a bit polemic asking if I won’t prefer to fly LN-RKP instead of getting stranded somewhere.

Well if it was a real spare aircraft seldom used... But it flies all the time. A quick check: 3 CPH-EWR rotations the last week.
So if you were in Eivind Roald's position. Would you spend a couple of mill. on refurbishing the bird, knowing it will be sold to scrapping when the first A350 arrives?
Old Jun 2, 2017, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I agree. If the intention is to sell the bird once the A359 is delivered, it doesn't make sense to refurbish the aircraft now. And let us face it: for the majority of pax it doesn't make any difference whether it is LN-RKP or some other aircraft - maybe the pax in Plus get annoyed, but people forget. For pax in C and Y, the difference is too insignificant to make a fuss about, let alone choose a different carrier (unless of course other carriers offer lower fare...)
Old Jun 2, 2017, 10:04 am

Sure it makes financial no sense for them. But the snobbish answer just fits the profile. I would have expect nothing less insulting - probably was already his best manners.

I think we all agree that as a spare aircraft to fill in occasional there is no problem. But for me it looks much more like they have the spare plane Scheduled for the regular rotations lately.

For me, I do avoid booking the 340s if possible or chose some other carrier for my regular SFO trip. Last time to SFO I was lucky but I'm not taking that gamble every time...

Last edited by fassy; Jun 2, 2017 at 2:27 pm
Old Jun 2, 2017, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by highupinthesky
So if you were in Eivind Roald's position. Would you spend a couple of mill. on refurbishing the bird, knowing it will be sold to scrapping when the first A350 arrives?
a) I am not Eivind Roald
b) I didn’t take any position on this. Just (tried to) refer loyally what the SAS-boss said. And pointed out to him (and the FT audience here) that LN-RKP is hardly a spare aircraft but a lottery coupon.

BTW LN-RKP is off today (75 minutes late) as SK 901 this evening and is scheduled to run CPH-ORD tomorrow.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
The interesting question is really, would there be as many cancellations/serious delays as there are LN-RKP rotations? If the answer to that is yes, then either they did over schedule or they scheduled with LN-RKP in operational mind....
Old Jun 3, 2017, 8:27 am

It's a little funny to follow the complaints around not refurbishment of LN-RKP. I remember the time before SAS got the bird. Back then the complaints was around lots of cancellations. I wonder what you would complain about if the bird was refurbished?

I'm not at all speaking for SAS, but honestly if the biggest problem with SAS is the missing refurbishment of a spare bird, which operates 2-3 days a week in a rotation schedule which involves a total of 15 birds + the spare, then SAS is a pretty good airline IMHO.

Try fly norwegian. Then you can get some real issues to complain about. Specially if you get delayed. Just remember the 100+ pax who was left in Nice when a B787 had an engine failure more than 24 hours before. This incident is only a couple of weeks old.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 8:47 am

Wrong assumption. I book SK as part of the *A since they can just rebook me on another carrier with a decent J product. LX, OS, AC and even LH J are fine and way better then LN-RKP. If they want to get $$$ for J class fare they have to keep up their end of the deal.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by fassy
Wrong assumption. I book SK as part of the *A since they can just rebook me on another carrier with a decent J product. LX, OS, AC and even LH J are fine and way better then LN-RKP. If they want to get $$$ for J class fare they have to keep up their end of the deal.
Why don't you just book on one of the other *A carrier in the first place.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 6:32 am

Mostly schedule and routing constraints- and that if I don't get the LN-RKP the J hard product is definitely superior to UA, AC, LH and some degree OS and LX.

(plus some of my customers have SK as preferred carrier and as Freelancer im bound to their will)
Old Jun 4, 2017, 10:27 am

I wonder what you would complain about if the bird was refurbished?
Strange question.

I'm not at all speaking for SAS, but honestly if the biggest problem with SAS is the missing refurbishment of a spare bird...
Who says it is the biggest problem?
Old Jun 4, 2017, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Try fly norwegian. Then you can get some real issues to complain about. Specially if you get delayed. Just remember the 100+ pax who was left in Nice when a B787 had an engine failure more than 24 hours before. This incident is only a couple of weeks old.
Bad comparision.

Norwegian is an LCC.

SK is *supposed* to be a full-fare carrier - although at times it has pretended to be both. (Even now, I think!)

If one were buying business class tickets with an expectation of the product as advertised by them, one should receive that product - and not another.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Bad comparision.

Norwegian is an LCC.

SK is *supposed* to be a full-fare carrier - although at times it has pretended to be both. (Even now, I think!)

If one were buying business class tickets with an expectation of the product as advertised by them, one should receive that product - and not another.
All airlines have older aircraft where the cabin don't have the same layout or standard as the newer once, and they are using these as spare. Over the last 2 years, I've made 8 long haul round trips with LH to a destination SK doesn't fly too. I don't think I've been in the same bird twice, and the standard has varied a lot. Some of the birds e.g don't have first class at all.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 5:15 pm

All LH planes have the same business class cabin hard product.

True, some have lost the First cabin but only a few destinations are a problem where you might have booked First and a plane without First might be swapped in. And in those cases that happens weeks before leaving time for reschedule.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by fassy
All LH planes have the same business class cabin hard product.

True, some have lost the First cabin but only a few destinations are a problem where you might have booked First and a plane without First might be swapped in. And in those cases that happens weeks before leaving time for reschedule.
That's not true. In at lease one incident it was announced shortly before boarding that they had switched aircraft, which resulted in some passengers had to be downgraded to eco. I can't recall whether there were downgrades from first and business too. IMHO. that's worse than having to live with flying on LK-RKP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.