Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

New longhaul aircraft and cabins from 2015 / 2018

New longhaul aircraft and cabins from 2015 / 2018

Old May 30, 2014, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
Miami would be obvious,
Why obvious? For personal reasons, I'd rather have Orlando than Miami, but I don't think either one is likely due to being primarily leisure routes.

Of the two, I agree that Miami is probably the one that makes more sense due to connections to the Caribbean and South America.
Old May 30, 2014, 7:49 am

Programs: EBD, AB OWS (Gold)
I always figured that they were phasing out the A340's. There is no mention of retrofitting them.
Old May 30, 2014, 9:54 am

Programs: SK Eurobonus
Originally Posted by gakke
I always figured that they were phasing out the A340's. There is no mention of retrofitting them.
It has been mentioned the entire time... The plan (for now) is that 4 A340s will leave the fleet starting next year and be replaced by 4 new A330s. The remaining A340s will get the new cabin and stay in the fleet until the A350s arrive.

But if SAS sees demand for additional longhaul service the plan can easily be adjusted by holding on to some A340s for a little while longer since the lease rates are very low...
Old May 30, 2014, 12:31 pm

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
YYZ would be nice. There is even no codeshare on AC these days, it seems. I also thought that Toronto is already covered, but recently I noticed that LO has two departures daily to YYZ. This is showing quite some potential, given the still relatively small flying market from WAW, comparing to CPH.
Old May 30, 2014, 1:27 pm

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by SusanDK
Why obvious? For personal reasons, I'd rather have Orlando than Miami, but I don't think either one is likely due to being primarily leisure routes.

Of the two, I agree that Miami is probably the one that makes more sense due to connections to the Caribbean and South America.
There is simply considerable travel between Florida and Scandinavia, also for business and the main reason would be more convenient connections to South America and the Caribbean. Lack of proper connections from Scandinavia simply leads to most of that business going to BA/AF/LH.

There is a codeshare with AA from ORD already, no reason not to extend that from MIA. Heck, it could even provide better connections to some locations in the US. And MIA-MCO only being a 35 minute flight it doesn't make sense to pick MIA as it has better connections.

Originally Posted by wazow
YYZ would be nice. There is even no codeshare on AC these days, it seems. I also thought that Toronto is already covered, but recently I noticed that LO has two departures daily to YYZ. This is showing quite some potential, given the still relatively small flying market from WAW, comparing to CPH.
AY also flies to YYZ - despite flying an hour in the wrong direction it's a better service than AC on the CPH option. (And AY connecting to BMA is another plus).

Last edited by FlyingMoose; May 30, 2014 at 1:35 pm
Old May 30, 2014, 3:44 pm

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
I actually like the AC service. But as demonstrated many times on this board I have low requirements apparently Wouldn't mind another departure time and some price competition with SK though
Old May 31, 2014, 12:37 am

Programs: EB*G, BT VIP
LO to YYZ is based on ethnical traffic, there are well over a million poles living in Canada. C-class on these flights is quite cheap and front cabin is typically 50-60% full. There are plenty of flights to YYZ from all over, if they thinking about Canada I would rather look at YUL
Old May 31, 2014, 6:06 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Miami is an obvious point for SAS to expand to because, quite simply, the market is very large.

Miami is Stockholm's second largest trans-Atlantic market after New York City. Same for Copenhagen, Oslo and Gothenburg. Norwegian, of course, caters to this market with non-stops from OSL, CPH and ARN to South Florida already.

That said, despite the huge market size, the yield isn't very strong.
Old May 31, 2014, 6:22 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
LO goes where the Polish VFR traffic is when it comes to TATL long-haul service. YYZ, ORD and NYC is about all the North American service that would make sense for them.

I use the AC service for travel connecting the US with CPH, but that is mostly because award availability tends to be better than availability using miles for SK, UA or DL's TATL Scandinavian flights.

Originally Posted by MAH4546
Miami is an obvious point for SAS to expand to because, quite simply, the market is very large.

Miami is Stockholm's second largest trans-Atlantic market after New York City. Same for Copenhagen, Oslo and Gothenburg. Norwegian, of course, caters to this market with non-stops from OSL, CPH and ARN to South Florida already.

For Scandinavians, South Florida is mostly just a leisure destination, and even the less discretionary VFR traffic between the two areas tends to be thin compared to NY or California traffic. Business travel demand between Scandinavia and South Florida? Not very strong. MIA airport has a very bad reputation for slow handling of international arrivals and it's made the news a fair amount of times in Sweden at least.

I really can't see SAS adding more than a seasonal flight to MIA, probably not even a daily during the winter months. With DY's service to FL in play, SAS would struggle to have a huge success on Scandinavia-Miami service. Could cargo make the difference for SK on such a route? I doubt it.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 31, 2014 at 6:44 pm
Old Jun 1, 2014, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by MAH4546

They should probably leave look for market that is less price sensitive, and if they do go for a lower yield leisure destination, they should probably look for one where Norwegian is not represented. It is not about destinations, but profitable destinations.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 8:06 am

Deleted - wrong thread.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 2:53 am

Programs: SK*G, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 Gold

I tried the new seats (and Hästens bedding) and it's huge improvement from the current Business Class product. Massage and "firmness" settings and the private shelf below:

Old Jun 13, 2014, 3:15 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Who is the supplier? Zodiac?
Old Jun 13, 2014, 4:48 am

Programs: SK*G, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Who is the supplier? Zodiac?
Thompson Aero Seating

More facts here from Jacob:
http://www.businessclass.se/fully-fl...distansstolar/

Jacobs test here:
http://www.businessclass.se/business...inessclasstol/

(both in Swedish, sorry)
Old Jun 13, 2014, 4:59 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Ah, then its a version of the LX/OS/SN/BD seat. I wonder why they went for 1-2-1....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.