SAS math

Old May 9, 2013, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EBD, AB OWS (Gold)
SAS math

For those of you that forgot what it's like back in school, here's a math problem

You have been off loaded, and received 600 € compensation (4 vouchers of 150 €).

You now want to take advantage of SAS's great sale on tickets to Helsinki, and find 4 dates at 707 dkk per round trip.

At the airport you ask the ticket desk to book these 4 dates for a total of 2828 dkk and pay with 3 coupons with a value of 450 € worth 3354 dkk. What happens next?

A) You are told that you can't get the difference of 3352 - 2828 = 526 back because you paid with vouchers

B) You receive a new voucher for 526 dkk

C) You are asked to pay 707 dkk or submit a fourth voucher

Which do you think is correct?
Old May 9, 2013, 2:29 pm

Programs: SK*G
A should be the correct but I'm guessing on C.
Old May 9, 2013, 2:51 pm

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
A should be the correct but I'm guessing on C. Airlines can be brutal @:-)

BTW. In the past I was succesful to spend a voucher 100% by paying for it for several tickets on the same PNR (several pax traveling). This was about 10 years ago, though.
Old May 10, 2013, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
A should be correct. Seem to remember that is even written in the T&Cs of the vouchers, no change given. If you convert them to cash, you also only get 50% of them.

For those guessing C, why should you be asked to pay with 4 vouchers for something that barely costs the 3 of them?
On a side note, is it normal to get the comp as several vouchers, my recollection from last I got off loaded, I just got one for the full amount. But maybe I am wrong. Used it as part of a C ticket, so any way had to top up in cash.
Old May 10, 2013, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Well, no surprise here, the correct answer is C.

There is no written policy known by SAS employees, but "that's what we've always have done" is the answer you get if you ask.

What we can learn from this is, if you want to get the most out of SAS vouchers:

Does anybody have some other advise?
        Old May 10, 2013, 6:33 am
        Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
        On a side note, is it normal to get the comp as several vouchers, my recollection from last I got off loaded, I just got one for the full amount. But maybe I am wrong. Used it as part of a C ticket, so any way had to top up in cash.
        The vouchers I've received were for 600 €, a set of four each representing a fourth of the amount. It might be more straight forward if they just gave you 4 vouchers of 150 € each, but I guess it's the same thing.
        Old May 10, 2013, 11:26 am

Programs: M&M FTL; BAEC Bronze
        Originally Posted by gakke
        Does anybody have some other advise?
        Don't accept vouchers as compensation and insist on payment in cash (via bank transfer).
        Old May 11, 2013, 4:39 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
        SAS will typically extend validity of the close to expired voucher if you state that you wish to convert to cash. Especially if you roll up to a SK ticket counter that no longer has cash ( e.g GOT).

That said A has been my experience rather than C. But it did take close to 45 mins for them to work it out and ticket.

You need to send original in.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.