Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Earnings on AA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2013, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Earnings on AA

I recently made a CPH-ORD-MCO-EWR-CPH trip in C with the ORD-MCO part on American Airlines and MCO-EWR on United. Made the booking this way as the AA flight was the most convenient connection after the flight from CPH.

It appears that I never received EB points for the ORD-MCO on AA despite the codeshare between SK and AA. The points for MCO-EWR where credited within days after the flight. I'm aware AA is a member of One World and neither does the itinerary list a SK flight number for that flight. Despite all that I was under the impression I would receive points for this flight as it was booked with SAS. The 'claim missing points' EuroBonus page does not let me select AA either.

Can anyone confirm? Last time I booked AA codeshare via SAS otherwise.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 2:43 pm

You will not get any SAS Eurobonus points for any AA flight
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
SK does not codeshare with AA. What you booked was probably just a AA coded flight that you booked on SK website and you just assumed that it was a codeshares flight. As it sounds like you booked a normal business class fare, the website gave you a thru fare valid on whatever airline connecting the ORD flight. For fares, it is marketed as a joint venture fare. But to earn miles, you need to have the appropriate FFP. And in this case, no miles to SAS FFP.

Many airlines ( and not just SK ) have joint venture fares that are not necessarily within an alliance. They can sell fares connecting to any airline within their marketing agreements.

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Feb 20, 2013 at 11:17 pm
Old Feb 21, 2013, 3:46 am

Programs: EBG (* G), CFA (ST E+)
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
SK does not codeshare with AA. What you booked was probably just a AA coded flight that you booked on SK website and you just assumed that it was a codeshares flight. As it sounds like you booked a normal business class fare, the website gave you a thru fare valid on whatever airline connecting the ORD flight. For fares, it is marketed as a joint venture fare. But to earn miles, you need to have the appropriate FFP. And in this case, no miles to SAS FFP.

Many airlines ( and not just SK ) have joint venture fares that are not necessarily within an alliance. They can sell fares connecting to any airline within their marketing agreements.
I agree, it is the same for CPH-FCO-CTA; you can buy the second leg (with AZ) on SAS website, but you won't be credited any mile. You can get AZ miles by claiming missing miles on AZ website. I suppose the same would work if you had an AA account.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 4:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Thanks for the replies, just need to keep an eye out next time not to book AA or non-Star Alliance partners. I sincerely dislike that the SAS website doesn't warn you for this.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 7:29 am

For some reason SAS markets AA and UA connections in the US market and often give both options when looking at flights on their website. It is a little odd they are not focusing more on their partner UA, especially since members can end up earning no EB points like in this instance.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 5:22 am

Another reason why I havent been able to use SK on flights to westcoast, US for a long time. Most of the good connections just involves using AA so we ended up going with OW airline and points/miles go where we dont actually would want

Maybe it is time to concentrate on OW's BA or AA again
Old Feb 22, 2013, 5:36 am

Programs: SK Eurobonus Diamond (Lifetime Star Gold), Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum)
Originally Posted by iamife
Another reason why I havent been able to use SK on flights to westcoast, US for a long time. Most of the good connections just involves using AA so we ended up going with OW airline and points/miles go where we dont actually would want

Maybe it is time to concentrate on OW's BA or AA again
I may be misunderstanding you here, but why don´t you use the SK/AA connection to western US and credit the SK flight to EB and the AA flight to your OW FF? This way at least you get some credit to EB compared to a fully OW itinerary where none of the points will end up in you EB account.

Svantevit

Edited to add: I used to do this a lot when Continental was part of ST and I had to connect from EWR to a CO flight.

Last edited by Svantevit; Feb 22, 2013 at 5:38 am Reason: Forgot the CO part.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 8:49 am

Programs: TK M&S Elite (*G), SK EB Silver, various more or less shiny hotel cards
Originally Posted by Svantevit
I may be misunderstanding you here, but why don´t you use the SK/AA connection to western US and credit the SK flight to EB and the AA flight to your OW FF? This way at least you get some credit to EB compared to a fully OW itinerary where none of the points will end up in you EB account.
It should actually be a good way to keep ones BAEC account alive so that those transferred BMI miles don't disappear!
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Svantevit

Svantevit

Edited to add: I used to do this a lot when Continental was part of ST and I had to connect from EWR to a CO flight.
I used to do that.. but SK's reservation system didn't seem to like having
two FF numbers under one record... I always had to request mileage credit
after the flights.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 5:39 pm

Just like MetricFlyer mentioned, had to claim points afterwards. Another reason is that SK stopped flying from any city 2-3hrs from where I lay.

OT: Same situation also anyway with AY ticket and 2 AA flights. Had to claim points afterwards despite both airlines in same OW alliance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.