SAS award

Old Jan 30, 13, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

SAS award

I have booked a flight from Norway to EWR and back in May. So far so good. But I want to change the return from Eco xtra to business. As of now, no business seats are available. Is your experience that SAS releases more seats over time, or am I "stuck" with Eco xtra?

Thanks
Old Jan 30, 13, 7:18 pm

Programs: SK Diamond *G
In my experience usually SK dosent release any extra IC awards over time. Usually the SK EWR flights go out fully booked in C. But if you close to departure see available seats in C you could call EB and ask them to ask inventory control to release a I award seat. I have had luck with this before, but its luck and not very common I guess.
PS it were on a CPH-NRT flight, not EWR.

Good luck
Old Jan 31, 13, 1:38 am
Original Poster

Thank you NicoEBG. I will do that
Old Jan 31, 13, 2:13 am

Programs: SK *G
Originally Posted by NicoEBG View Post
In my experience usually SK dosent release any extra IC awards over time. Usually the SK EWR flights go out fully booked in C. But if you close to departure see available seats in C you could call EB and ask them to ask inventory control to release a I award seat. I have had luck with this before, but its luck and not very common I guess.
PS it were on a CPH-NRT flight, not EWR.

Good luck
I agree with Nico, particularly for C class. With that being said, SAS just opened up a few dates for CPH-EWR in July for Y and Y+. I had been tracking award availability (or lack of) from CPH to the US for the past month. It was a nice surprise to see something open up.

In addition to calling, I would monitor the loads of the flight you are on. It might be that C class is full and SAS cannot open anything up...although might change over time. It would be better to ask them to release a seat if there is a free [email protected]:-)

Last edited by livious; Jan 31, 13 at 3:10 am
Old Jan 31, 13, 2:19 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Can you do Optiontown on awards? @:-)
Old Jan 31, 13, 2:57 am

Programs: EBD, AB OWS (Gold)
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
Can you do Optiontown on awards? @:-)
Short answer - no.

The reservation is needed for an upgrade, and flights booked with reward booking classes are not allowed.

I've never been able to upgrade an award trip, not for cash, points or via Optiontown

I have, however gotten some opups
Old Feb 7, 13, 3:18 pm

Do remember that you can only change the homebound flight 24h prior to taking the outbound flight (if you are not EBP member).
Old Feb 8, 13, 1:15 pm

Programs: EBG
Originally Posted by gakke View Post
The reservation is needed for an upgrade, and flights booked with reward booking classes are not allowed.

I've never been able to upgrade an award trip, not for cash, points or via Optiontown
I have been able to upgrade SAS award trips for Eurobonus points at gate, last time in November 2012. There are also several other stories about this here in FT and other forums.
Old Feb 8, 13, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Thank you everyone
Old Feb 8, 13, 7:13 pm

Programs: EBS
Expertflyer now offers availability alert for award tickets with SK. So if you sign up for expert flyer you can create an e-mail alert telling you if a biz award seat gets available...
Old Feb 10, 13, 3:28 am

Programs: EBG, M&M SEN, FB Gold
Originally Posted by NordicLane View Post
I have been able to upgrade SAS award trips for Eurobonus points at gate, last time in November 2012. There are also several other stories about this here in FT and other forums.
I also have tried it several times to upgrade awards for points. But find it all depending of the gate agent or check in agent if it is possible or not. The general rule is that you cannot do it but sometimes your are lucky so always try to ask for it :-)

/HerrO
Old Feb 16, 13, 3:06 pm

Programs: SK Eurobonus Diamond, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by herro View Post
I also have tried it several times to upgrade awards for points. But find it all depending of the gate agent or check in agent if it is possible or not. The general rule is that you cannot do it but sometimes your are lucky so always try to ask for it :-)

/HerrO
I just succeded in upgrading a US Dividend Miles award booking from economy to business today (on SK998 from PVG to CPH). Cost 40000 points which was well worth it in my opponion, as I had just gotten of NZ289 from AKL (which unfortunately was operated by their infamous B767-300).

The check-in agent had to confer with her supervisor which granted the upgrade ^. For info there was about 18 passengers in C on this flight.

Svantevit

Search this Thread
Search Engine: