FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   SAS | EuroBonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus-499/)
-   -   SAS award (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus/1433457-sas-award.html)

boredandre Jan 30, 13 11:40 am

SAS award

I have booked a flight from Norway to EWR and back in May. So far so good. But I want to change the return from Eco xtra to business. As of now, no business seats are available. Is your experience that SAS releases more seats over time, or am I "stuck" with Eco xtra? :)

NicoEBG Jan 30, 13 6:18 pm

In my experience usually SK dosent release any extra IC awards over time. Usually the SK EWR flights go out fully booked in C. But if you close to departure see available seats in C you could call EB and ask them to ask inventory control to release a I award seat. I have had luck with this before, but its luck and not very common I guess.
PS it were on a CPH-NRT flight, not EWR.

Good luck

boredandre Jan 31, 13 12:38 am

Thank you NicoEBG. I will do that :)

livious Jan 31, 13 1:13 am

Originally Posted by NicoEBG (Post 20156186)
In my experience usually SK dosent release any extra IC awards over time. Usually the SK EWR flights go out fully booked in C. But if you close to departure see available seats in C you could call EB and ask them to ask inventory control to release a I award seat. I have had luck with this before, but its luck and not very common I guess.
PS it were on a CPH-NRT flight, not EWR.

Good luck

I agree with Nico, particularly for C class. With that being said, SAS just opened up a few dates for CPH-EWR in July for Y and Y+. I had been tracking award availability (or lack of) from CPH to the US for the past month. It was a nice surprise to see something open up.

In addition to calling, I would monitor the loads of the flight you are on. It might be that C class is full and SAS cannot open anything up...although might change over time. It would be better to ask them to release a seat if there is a free [email protected]:-)

oliver2002 Jan 31, 13 1:19 am

Can you do Optiontown on awards? @:-)

gakke Jan 31, 13 1:57 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 20157749)
Can you do Optiontown on awards? @:-)

Short answer - no.

The reservation is needed for an upgrade, and flights booked with reward booking classes are not allowed.

I've never been able to upgrade an award trip, not for cash, points or via Optiontown :(

I have, however gotten some opups :)

SK_RSJ Feb 7, 13 2:18 pm

Do remember that you can only change the homebound flight 24h prior to taking the outbound flight (if you are not EBP member).

NordicLane Feb 8, 13 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by gakke (Post 20157825)
The reservation is needed for an upgrade, and flights booked with reward booking classes are not allowed.

I've never been able to upgrade an award trip, not for cash, points or via Optiontown :(

I have been able to upgrade SAS award trips for Eurobonus points at gate, last time in November 2012. There are also several other stories about this here in FT and other forums.

boredandre Feb 8, 13 1:09 pm

Thank you everyone :)

HenrikP Feb 8, 13 6:13 pm

Expertflyer now offers availability alert for award tickets with SK. So if you sign up for expert flyer you can create an e-mail alert telling you if a biz award seat gets available...

herro Feb 10, 13 2:28 am

Originally Posted by NordicLane (Post 20210912)
I have been able to upgrade SAS award trips for Eurobonus points at gate, last time in November 2012. There are also several other stories about this here in FT and other forums.

I also have tried it several times to upgrade awards for points. But find it all depending of the gate agent or check in agent if it is possible or not. The general rule is that you cannot do it but sometimes your are lucky so always try to ask for it :-)

/HerrO

Svantevit Feb 16, 13 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by herro (Post 20219238)
I also have tried it several times to upgrade awards for points. But find it all depending of the gate agent or check in agent if it is possible or not. The general rule is that you cannot do it but sometimes your are lucky so always try to ask for it :-)

/HerrO

I just succeded in upgrading a US Dividend Miles award booking from economy to business today (on SK998 from PVG to CPH). Cost 40000 points which was well worth it in my opponion, as I had just gotten of NZ289 from AKL (which unfortunately was operated by their infamous B767-300).

The check-in agent had to confer with her supervisor which granted the upgrade ^. For info there was about 18 passengers in C on this flight.

Svantevit