Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Gold benefits without registering EB membership

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2012, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

I'm in the process of changing jobs and the travel policy of my new employer forbids the accrual of frequent flyer miles for any work-related travel (yes, I'm on of them). I have no problem with this policy (in principle that is; I wouldn't mind the points of course). I do have gold status already, and recently re-qualified.

Does anyone have experience with this kind of usage? Would it be a problem getting some of the gold benefits without ever registering the card? I hardly ever pull out my card as all the information follows the booking and boarding pass is usually enough, obviously that's not the case for work travel going forward.

This would probably be limited to fast track security and lounge access.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 2:34 pm

No problem for fast track and lounge access, only difference is now you will need to flash your card everytime.

How would your employer ever know if you did accrue points on your flights?
Old Dec 30, 2012, 3:00 am
THD

Programs: OZ Lifetime-DMPL*G, AF*G, SPG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by view
No problem for fast track and lounge access, only difference is now you will need to flash your card everytime.

How would your employer ever know if you did accrue points on your flights?
Agree this should be no problem, just more hassle.

I used to work for a company with a similar policy, was forced to hand in BPs and eticket itins where the FF field was empty. The easiest way to get around this was to of course retro claim miles, either by photocopies of the bp or conveniently "misplacing" one's bps and having the gate agent reprint them. Flying purely sk is easy since one can check in online and print multiple copies of the bp.

Fortunately the company saw the light and changed the policy since it was too hard to police and took up unnecessary time. At the same time they removed any choice of airline when booking with the company TA to avoid people favouring a particular airline for the sake of miles.. The fun police have many tools at their disposal.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 8:56 am
Original Poster

That's what I assumed.

While I can think of a couple of ways of getting around the policy, I'm not sure if it's worth it.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by allofthelights
That's what I assumed.

While I can think of a couple of ways of getting around the policy, I'm not sure if it's worth it.
Next time you fly with your boss, bring him as a guast to the lounge with your gold card. Give him some alcohol. Tell him it is such a sadness that your company has su stupid rules so that you now will lose your status, since you cant extend it since you are not allowed.

Boss will then hopefully try to change the rules.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat (OWS), W6 Discount Club, TK Elite (*G), ex-MA Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by gdaily
Next time you fly with your boss, bring him as a guast to the lounge with your gold card. Give him some alcohol. Tell him it is such a sadness that your company has su stupid rules so that you now will lose your status, since you cant extend it since you are not allowed.

Boss will then hopefully try to change the rules.
I am having a similar ordeal with my boss. I'm to fly with him long-haul and he insists on booking a non-aligned carrier. I've already shown him some pix of premium cabin travels made possible by my frequent flier points, but he still seem to insist on his original carrier.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

My new boss is in no position to adjust this policy. As I mentioned, I don't disagree with it in principle, as loyalty programs align the employee's monetary interests with those of the carrier rather than the employer.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 4:27 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Think your question was answered, use your EBG card when you need perks such as lounge access and premium boarding and retro claim the points.

Despite the suggestions above, when I was in the same position I simply told upper management that airline program tiers and benefits greatly relieve the stress of frequent travel and that such restrictive policies didn't help anyone neither created a more 'fair' environment.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 6:28 am
Original Poster

I might have interpreted it incorrectly; that it's private use of points accrued by employer-funded trips that's expressly forbidden (i.e. that use of points toward upgrades/travel for the employer is allowed). Not that this can be enforced, so the honour system applies (the same way award travel is a taxable benefit in many countries, I doubt most report it).

Upper management cannot change this policy.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 6:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I might have interpreted it incorrectly; that it's private use of points accrued by employer-funded trips that's expressly forbidden (i.e. that use of points toward upgrades/travel for the employer is allowed). Not that this can be enforced, so the honour system applies (the same way award travel is a taxable benefit in many countries, I doubt most report it).

If you can use your miles/points for upgrades on business travel, that's not so bad. What about bonus miles, VDB/IDB compensation, extra miles accredited due to status? Do the same rules apply to these, given that status is usually due to both business and personal travel?

What about hotel programs? Are there similar restrictions?
Old Jan 2, 2013, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Yes, I can definitely live with that. And yes, I can draw no private benefit from any work-related award programs, hotel/flights etc.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 7:11 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
I am experiencing this annoying rule myself. It costs me maintaining an excel spreadsheet tracking which miles/points are whose, so I can use them accordingly on private or work purpose. I considered having to EB accounts for this reason (to save time), but I would be stressed needlessly to earn the status twice.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 3:58 pm

Programs: SK*G, QR*G
in OSL they check the boarding pass at fast track and it must flash green. If it doesn't they will normally not do anything extra to check if you should theoretically have access. So it will not work to show your card there.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 11:40 am

Programs: TK M&S Elite (*G), SK EB Silver, various more or less shiny hotel cards

This is the same for everyone employed by the government: Parliament members, agency employees, university teachers, etc. You can register your EB-number and use your status at the airports, but you should use your points for upgrades on business travel and not for family holidays. Not unresonable.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 1:50 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Except, that at my workplace upgrades to business class are disallowed Because business class travel is. So points can be used on getting economy tickets only (or other acceptable services/goods).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.