Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

What do you think? Bankrupt or not bankrupt

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do you think? Bankrupt or not bankrupt

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2012, 3:37 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ksu
You might be right about ARN, after all it has now slipped behind OSL in passenger numbers.

Your description of CPH is not really of a hub, it's as a huge O/D airport. The København/Malmö metropolitan area thus could be said to be able to support an airport with many destinations, but they wouldn't have to be on the same airline/ alliance as an O/D airport.

But I cannot really see the intrinsic value for CPH as a hub for other than those, to include Scania, using it as their local airport.
Much of Smalland, Blekinge and even parts of V Gotalands default for flying out of CPH when minimizing travel time is part of the picture.

Large international O&D traffic numbers, more than just about anything else, make for airports that are more natural hubs over a long(er) period of time. From a population and geographic location perspective, CPH has been a pretty well-placed hub. SK certainly wouldn't have done itself any longer term favors if OSL or HEL or ARN were the SK "CPH hub" of earlier decades into today. CPH has served SK pretty well, perhaps a bit too much for too long, but SK's problems go far deeper than with the making of today's SK CPH hub.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 19, 2012 at 3:45 pm
Old Nov 19, 2012, 3:52 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Kallio
I suspect that dramatic events were at least partly intentionally set up by SAS management. The financial troubles were definitely real, but they didn't come as a surprise. By staging this situation and giving unions only one week for negotiations gave them lots of leverage, and because of this complicated situations with multiple unions, they probably needed it. But it's not like they didn't know this is coming six months ago and most likely much earlier.

Usually airlines about to go under don't advertise their situation, because it scares customers and may very well seal the deal. Now SAS management made sure that whole world knows their company is in a brink of a collapse. I smell a little very carefully planned PR operation, but I'm glad it seemed to work, because sooner or later the real bankruptcy was coming.
Administration's rushed up brinksmanship has consequences.

Originally Posted by GUWonder

More than one of SAS's problems is a "major problem", no less so an airline management group that is willing to make a show of going to extremes and then perhaps even go there. [Administration's rushed-up brinksmanship can be an invitation to expensive blunders, yet at other times it can work.]
The boy who cried "wolf" paid a price -- or at least the sheep did.

The approach doesn't really make for confidence-building measures -- rather it makes for a lot of future skepticism and more difficult dealings.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 4:03 pm

Programs: bahn.bonus, FB, EB
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Much of Smalland, Blekinge and even parts of V Gotalands default for flying out of CPH when minimizing travel time is part of the picture.
Indeed. Since the opening of the Öresund bridge, the natural catchment area of CPH on the Swedish side is a lot larger than just Skåne.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.