Goodbye Bangkok?

Old Aug 27, 2012, 5:21 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by BHIL
Another issue is the 9 hour downtime for the a/c in BKK. They just park it on the tarmac from 3pm to midnight to fit the night departures in both directions (which also increases the cost for flight crew staying in BKK).
Both KL and AF now have late morning departures from BKK - most likely saving 1 aircraft rotation per day. Maybe this is something SK could do? (Saying that, I think it is done deal and they will let BKK go...)

Originally Posted by BHIL
TG will probably go to double daily once SK is out and this will mean no more SK on this route.
No - TG will stay with a daily service - both EK and QR will increase DXB/DOH to 2 x daily
Old Aug 27, 2012, 6:17 pm

Programs: OZ*G, AZ Gold, Etihad Gold, SK*G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by TPJ
No - TG will stay with a daily service - both EK and QR will increase DXB/DOH to 2 x daily
Well, TG has up to 9-10x weekly flights from BKK to CPH in the winter season. The return going to HKT, though.
I think double daily with 773 + 772 is possible, if SK withdraws.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:53 pm
THD

Programs: OZ Lifetime-DMPL*G, AF*G, SPG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jefi99
Well, TG has up to 9-10x weekly flights from BKK to CPH in the winter season. The return going to HKT, though.
HKT is even lower yield than BKK, which is already a low yield route. Surely it would make more sense to try and capture all the BKK-CPH traffic onto one flight and try to push up yields, leaving HKT to the competition, who are mainly charter airlines.But then I don't know about TGs strategy, on other routes TG seems happy to fill planes with cheap V and W fares, with premium cabins filled with redemptions.

I don't see BKK being sustainable for SK, even with reduced frequency. If the 773ER is retained, TG will have its newest C product at the pointy end, while offering lower fares at the back end. If the 747 is reinstated, TG will be selling F as C and C product will appear as eco extra. TG is better placed to capture any Thailand bound traffic. EK has a much better offering for any connecting traffic to Asia or Australia at lower fares to SK.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 6:15 am

I have flown BKK-CPH and back 10 times in the last few years and it have always been fully booked been except for once.
SK is always cheaper on price than TG so I would hate to see it go
Going next month and a trip BKK-CPH and back on SK direct cost only $100 or so more than any acceptable stop overs (less than 4-5 hours travel time added)
Old Aug 28, 2012, 6:19 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Load factors don't necessarily reflect yield performance. TG reports the yields ex OSL/CPH/ARN is not so good, I doubt SK has any better earnings.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I guess those will be the new 777-300ER, with 306 Y and 42 C, not the old Jet Airways birds. If so, I think they are there to stay. Also to avoid selling F seats as C and C as premium economy
For the moment, it is scheduled with the new 77W in C42Y306 configuration, so only a loss of 10% capacity for TG.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 5:16 pm
TPJ

Originally Posted by jefi99
This was BEFORE EK/QR invasion into Scandinavia. This summer TG went down to 5 x weekly on both CPH and ARN routes - officially due to fleet re-configuration. Also... EK starts HKT directly from DXB in early winter and I guess counts on transit volumes from CPH...
Old Aug 30, 2012, 3:37 am

Programs: SK Eurobonus
Originally Posted by TPJ
This was BEFORE EK/QR invasion into Scandinavia. This summer TG went down to 5 x weekly on both CPH and ARN routes - officially due to fleet re-configuration. Also... EK starts HKT directly from DXB in early winter and I guess counts on transit volumes from CPH...
Thai started flying CPH-HKT in Nov 2011, well after EK/QR had begun CPH. This coming winter they are introducing ARN-HKT, so that means both CPH and ARN is 9x weekly from BKK...

These reductions you are mentioning was during 6 weeks in May and June so thats 12 roundtrips cancelled, I wouldn't call that significant...
Old Aug 30, 2012, 5:24 pm
TPJ

Originally Posted by SK1989
that means both CPH and ARN is 9x weekly from BKK...
OK - I somehow overlooked this info... Good to know they are fighting against the Middle Eastern guys... Hope TG would succeed...
Old Sep 18, 2012, 4:07 am

Programs: KLM Elite for life; LH Senator for life
SAS Cancels Bangkok Service from April 2013

Reported on Airline Route. Another Airline that lost the competion strugle with Emeriates and the likes.

SAS starting 07APR13 is cancelling its 63-year old Copenhagen Bangkok operation, as the airline closes reservation for this route. The closure of this route will allow SAS to deploy the A340 aircraft on to its new Copenhagen San Francisco service from 08APR13.

SAS started service to Bangkok in 1949, its first destination in Far-East Asia. Winter 2012/13 schedule:
Old Sep 18, 2012, 5:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK-EBD
The subject is covered here:

Although the information from Airline Route clarifies the exact date.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 9:03 am

Just got this email:

Dear Valued Customers,
We have the latest information regarding the change of our operations to share with you.

From now until 8 April 2013, we will continue serving you with direct flights between Bangkok and Copenhagen throughout the whole winter season. However, during summer 2013 the operation will be suspended. We will resume the flight operation from winter program 2013.

If you have booked SK972 and SK973 between Bangkok and Copenhagen during 9 April – 10 September 2013, you will be notified and offered rebooking on our partner flights.

We know that many customers plan to travel during summer. We will keep you in touch with the best offers available for you, our valued SAS customers. The already informed joint venture with Singapore Airlines for passengers from Singapore is now in progress. We also seek further collaborations with other partners in Southeast Asia in order to offer you the best possible summer schedule to Scandinavia.

We appreciate your kind support for the SAS Bangkok route and we are looking forward to your continuous support for its new winter schedule.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 9:17 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Seems to be seasonal, with reprotection with LH&SQ:

Code:
18SEP12
SAS will cease operations between CPH and BKK 08APR13
SAS will cease operations between CPH and BKK as per 08APR13. Operations will resume in the winter 2013/2014.

Passengers booked on SK973 and SK972 should be rebooked according to information below.
Rebooking

Passengers originally booked on above cancelled SK operated flights must be involuntarily rebooked.

Rebooking must be done according to reprotection agreements.

Reprotection agreement with LH

Reprotection agreement with SQ

Responsible selling office must contact passengers and inform about the cancellation and is responsible to rebook passengers to final destination.

Missing connections in Scandinavia to be rebooked in same class or lowest available booking class in same service class as originally booked.
Groups

For reservations booked in G- class, no reprotection agreements will follow. All G- class has to be manually requested by agent to other airline.
Refund

If alternative not accepted by passenger, refund of issued SK/117-ticket with SK-fare is permitted.
The LH reprotect is interesting: E extra go into LH coach, but everyone except T gets into a decent booking class:

Code:
 Temporary reprotection with LH for SK cancelled flights CPH-BKK-CPH
SAS has entered into a temporary reprotection agreement with Lufthansa due to cancellation of SK operating flights CPH-BKK and BKK-CPH 09APR13 until 01OCT13.

Passengers booked on the cancelled SK-operating flights above may be involuntary rerouted to LH flights via FRA v.v.
Use the appropriate RBD table for rebooking purposes   
SK RBD 	C 	D 	J 	Z 	Y 	S 	B 	E 	M 	H 	Q 	V 	W 	U 	K 	L 	T
LH RBD 	C 	D 	D 	Z 	Y 	B 	B 	B 	M 	H 	Q 	V 	W 	W 	S 	S 	T

Involuntary rerouting of passengers to LH-operating flights, including involuntary reissue of tickets to SK/117-tickets, is handled by SK.

The reservation shall include following OSI-element:
OSI LH INVOL REROUTE / SK (= SK flight number) CNXLD

Endorsement requirements for SK/117 coupons/tickets are waived.

Uplifted reissued SK/117-tickets shall be marked "INVOL 735d

The settlement of the agreement is valid for passengers travelling with SK/117-tickets.

Do not reissue SK/117- ticket stock to LH/220-tickets as involuntary reissue shall be handled by SK.

ID/AD-tickets and reward tickets are excluded from this agreement.
The SQ repro is a bit better for business class, but the economy is mercilessly booked into W and below which are rare to find open

Code:
 Temporary Reprotection with SQ for SK cancelled flights CPH-BKK-CPH
SAS has entered into a temporary reprotection agreement with Singapore Airlines due to cancellation of SK operating flights CPH-BKK and BKK-CPH 09APR13-01OCT13.

Passengers booked on the cancelled SK-operating flights above may be involuntary rerouted to SQ flights CPH-SIN v.v.
Use the appropriate RBD table for rebooking purposes: 
SK 	

C

D

J

Z

Y

S

B

E

M

H

Q

V

W

U

K

L

T
SQ 	

J

D

D

D

W

W

W

W

N

N

L

L

L

K

K

K

K

Involuntary rerouting of passengers to SQ-operating flights, including involuntary reissue of tickets to SK/117-tickets, is handled by SK.

The reservation shall include following OSI-element:
OSI SK INVOL REROUTE / SK (= SK flight number) CNXLD

Endorsement requirements for SK/117 coupons/tickets are waived.

Uplifted reissued SK/117-tickets shall be marked "INVOL 735d

The settlement of the agreement is valid for passengers travelling with SK/117-tickets.

Do not reissue SK/117- ticket stock to SQ/618-tickets as involuntary reissue shall be handled by SK.

ID/AD-tickets and reward tickets are excluded from this agreement.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 9:44 am

SAS to downgrade Bangkok to seasonal route

After 63 years of serving the Copenhagen-Bangkok route, SAS will stop flying year-round from April 2013.

SAS says it intends to restart flights to Bangkok in winter 2013 but as a seasonal service.

I guess this move is a result of competition from the likes of EK and QR who are moving into Scandinavia. Also there's more competition from Thai as it now flies to Bangkok from Copenhagen, Oslo and Stockholm.

All this extra competition and capacity must have driven down fares and hence yield which means the route is no longer profitable all year round for SAS.

News item in Swedish:

http://www.flygtorget.se/Aktuellt/Artikel/?Id=9428
Old Sep 18, 2012, 9:53 am

Programs: SK*G/EBD, Le Club Accor Plat, Club Carlson Concierge, Hilton Gold
Really sad and bad news for me as BKK in C on SK has been a twice a year happening for me, but if SK will continue to fly to BKK in the winter season I am well covered for at least one of my flights

Really bad news for the Rembrandt hotel in BKK as well I guess.

Could this mean that SFO will also only be seasonal? BKK in the winter and SFO in the summer?

Does anyone know what will happen to the people on award tickets except that: ID/AD-tickets and reward tickets are excluded from this agreement (from Oliver2002 great information)?

Last edited by SASDC8; Sep 18, 2012 at 10:25 am Reason: Award tickets question

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.