Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS introduces fee for paying with credit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS introduces fee for paying with credit card

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2012, 2:50 pm

Programs: TK M&S Elite (*G), SK EB Silver, various more or less shiny hotel cards
Originally Posted by SusanDK
Well, I'd rather have warm/hot water to wash my hands after using the rest room
+1
Old Aug 2, 2012, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Well, I'd rather have warm/hot water to wash my hands after using the rest room, than have only cold water available. I've been in public toilets both in Europe and the U.S. where the only tap water for hand-washing was cold, and I don't find this very sanitizing.
I think the maill shouldn't disable the temperature adjusting function - my kids was screaming when they were washing their hand in a mall toilet - the tap had only really hot water came out. I thought they were joking and when I tried it myself it was hot (I can really stand hot water).

I'd rather have the water too cold than too hot.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 4:08 pm

Programs: SK*Gold
Wink

Well, I'd rather have warm/hot water to wash my hands after using the rest room, than have only cold water available. I've been in public toilets both in Europe and the U.S. where the only tap water for hand-washing was cold, and I don't find this very sanitizing.
It shouldn't be an either/or proposition. In Scandinavia, it used to be that all restrooms had taps that went from cold to hot - that's the case with the handicap WCs at OSL. The change now is to warm water only, perhaps to promote the sale of bottled water (which you may have to pay an extra fee for if you pay by credit card in Denmark) .

If you're worried about sanitation, you're better off using a hand sanitizer - after you've touched the bathroom exit door knob.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 12:34 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by gnaget
Once a month? I purchased an ARN-CPH one way for $96.92 last week and now the ticket is $98.51 (same T class fare available).

Found this: "IATA Rates of Exchange (IROE) provides monthly updates of IATA currency rates of exchange used by the industry for fare/rate construction. They are built based on the average of the five banking days ending on the 10th of each month."

Surely they can't have updated it since last week if they follow this method. It looks to me that SAS is tracking the exchange rate more frequently.
Well, either I was not clear enough, either you have not read carefully what I wrote. The IROE is used to convert from currency to NUC. ARN CPH fare is in SEK. It is then converted to NUC using ROE and then back to currency of country of departure, Sweden, so SEK, using the reverse ROE => no difference. So whatever the ROE, it does not change anything, the fare excluding taxes is still the same. Then, it is converted into currency of country of purchase, USD, using the BSR which is different from the ROE. This one varies more often and depend from country to country, but it is usually updated weekly using Tuesday data with effect from the following Wednesday.

Difference in USD could be due to the following:
- fare increase in SEK by SAS (not likely)
- increase of taxes (could happen)
- update of the USD/SEK BSR (very likely)

Very detailed info from Lufthansa, following IATA resolutions:
http://www.lufthansa-usa.com/travel_...ions_Mar11.pdf

Last edited by ranskis; Aug 3, 2012 at 12:57 am
Old Aug 3, 2012, 1:49 am

I have no idea about Denmark but at least in Sweden I can take out extra cash in most supermarkets while paying with any credit card. Even if you include the fees, I am sure the stores don't lose money, transporting large amounts of cash to the bank every night isn't free either. Seems like the opposite to charging extra CC fees.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WGTN
I have no idea about Denmark but at least in Sweden I can take out extra cash in most supermarkets while paying with any credit card. Even if you include the fees, I am sure the stores don't lose money, transporting large amounts of cash to the bank every night isn't free either. Seems like the opposite to charging extra CC fees.
What you said shows that CC fee is not based on %, otherwise you won't be able to draw cash in supermakets.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by nacho
What you said shows that CC fee is not based on %, otherwise you won't be able to draw cash in supermakets.
Not necessarily. I am quite sure there is a fixed transaction fee + a variable charge based on the amount processed. You will notice that some smaller places have a minimum amount for card payments. Visa for sure sees more of a 10'000 SEK ticket than a 1'000 SEK one.

My point is, stores that add CC charges act like cash payments do not incur transaction costs - having Securitas pick up your daily intake isn't exactly free nor is insurance against robbery. My local bank in Sweden doesn't even handle cash over the counter any more, they tell you to use the ATM or take out cash at the supermarket, or simply use your credit card! There really is a huge push to eliminate cash in everyday transactions.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not necessarily. I am quite sure there is a fixed transaction fee + a variable charge based on the amount processed. You will notice that some smaller places have a minimum amount for card payments. Visa for sure sees more of a 10'000 SEK ticket than a 1'000 SEK one.

My point is, stores that add CC charges act like cash payments do not incur transaction costs - having Securitas pick up your daily intake isn't exactly free nor is insurance against robbery. My local bank in Sweden doesn't even handle cash over the counter any more, they tell you to use the ATM or take out cash at the supermarket, or simply use your credit card! There really is a huge push to eliminate cash in everyday transactions.
I think for big corporations like SAS the fee is fixed based on number of transaction.

Once I shopped in a factory selling chocobullar and we didn't realise there is a charge for SEK 5 for using credit card.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 4:35 am

I only tried it once just after I got my SK-branded MasterCard, where I asked for DK 200 in cash over and above my supermarket purchases, and I was told it could not be authorized on a MasterCard. I wanted to test to see if cash withdrawn would result in SAS points.

I haven't tried it since, so I don't know if that is the general policy or was only at the particular store I was in at the time.

It will be interesting to try it in Sweden, next time I'm making a purchase in a shop there. Instead of drawing cash from an ATM in Sweden with my Dankort which I do from time-to-time, I will try it along with making a purchase on my MasterCard, and see what the fees are as well as whether I get SK points.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I only tried it once just after I got my SK-branded MasterCard, where I asked for DK 200 in cash over and above my supermarket purchases, and I was told it could not be authorized on a MasterCard. I wanted to test to see if cash withdrawn would result in SAS points.

I haven't tried it since, so I don't know if that is the general policy or was only at the particular store I was in at the time.

It will be interesting to try it in Sweden, next time I'm making a purchase in a shop there. Instead of drawing cash from an ATM in Sweden with my Dankort which I do from time-to-time, I will try it along with making a purchase on my MasterCard, and see what the fees are as well as whether I get SK points.
SAS master card (danish ones) doesn't give you points for taking out cash - just like the Swedish CC that gives you bonus - you don't get the bonus when you take cash out. Not sure how they can implement it but they do.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 6:25 am

Programs: SK*Gold
Doing that would be a cash advance and, as far as I know, you can't get mileage points for that.

Here in Norway, the SK branded MasterCard has occasionally had campaigns with free cash advances without any fees or interest. They made it very clear that you would not get EB points with cash advances.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by Dag
2,2% from October.
What a joke, increase the ticket price by 2% instead.
http://www.aftenposten.no/reise/article4281339.ece
SAS said to Swedish media yesterday ( http://mobil.svd.se/rss.jsp?rssid=25...844&cid=184981 ) that a fee of about 2% will be introduced for credit cards in most markets in Europe incl. Denmark, Norway and Finland, but SAS has no plans whatsoever to introduce a credit card fee in Sweden! Why Sweden is exempt is not stated in the article.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 11:59 am

Programs: SAS EB, Hilton HHonors
Card fees in Sweden

In Sweden there are two types of cards.
Debit cards - which debit your bank account immediately after the transaction.
Credit cards - which you normally pay off via invoice at the end of the following month.

Businesses accepting cards generally pay 2-3 SEK per transaction on a debit card and 2-3 SEK + 2% per transaction on a credit card.

Credit cards have a fee on the card holder when withdrawing cash, debit card does not.

With that said, I think it's sad that SAS is introducing a fee when using credit cards to buy tickets in many countries. They need to differentiate from the LCC's, not copy them one step at a time.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 2:05 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by SK989
SAS said to Swedish media yesterday ( http://mobil.svd.se/rss.jsp?rssid=25...844&cid=184981 ) that a fee of about 2% will be introduced for credit cards in most markets in Europe incl. Denmark, Norway and Finland, but SAS has no plans whatsoever to introduce a credit card fee in Sweden! Why Sweden is exempt is not stated in the article.
Because there is a law against charging such a fee in sweden.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by intuition
Because there is a law against charging such a fee in sweden.
Does it mean that everyone can just book through sas.se to avoid the fee?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.