Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS to Tel Aviv

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2012, 9:03 am

Programs: OZ*G, AZ Gold, Etihad Gold, SK*G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by jth
Twice weekly ,Thu/Mon, definately says "business travel" to me. Possibly with some Israeli leisure travel over their weekends thrown in.
There is a pretty big jewish population in Malmo that i guess SAS is trying to target here, so I am not sure that the late arrival to CPH is a big issue.
The jewish population in Malmö consists of approx. 700 people, and falling. Malmö (and especially its mayor Ilmer Repaluu) has a reputation of being anti-semitic, and the Simon Wiesenthal are very strong critics of the mayor.

But maybe SAS is aiming to sell 700 oneway tickets to the jewish community of Malmö...?
Old Mar 29, 2012, 9:09 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Wikipedia says there are 7-9000 & aprox 20000 people of jewish faith in DK&SE respectively. There has to be some serious tourism promotion involved (maybe a tour operator block booked some capacity) to make this work. VFR is not going to fill that bird, especially with tons of space already available ex European hubs.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by yosithezet
I would agree that it is business if the flights were Sunday/Thursday but Monday/Thursday doesn't really help anyone.
Why not? You have two full business days in Israel and won't even have to leave home on a Sunday. I do such trips to the Middle-East frequently.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:18 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Why not? You have two full business days in Israel and won't even have to leave home on a Sunday. I do such trips to the Middle-East frequently.
I doubt that the majority of traffic is meant to flow in that direction. What would make more sense IMO is the following.

Sunday afternoon Israel to CPH. Israeli business folks heading to Europe for the work week. European tourists heading back from a warm weekend.

Thursday evening to Israel. Israeli business folk heading home for the weekend and tourists heading for a long weekend in a warm climate.

With BetterPlace's installation in Denmark this would seem to support that well potentially.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 12:52 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by jth
Twice weekly ,Thu/Mon, definately says "business travel" to me. Possibly with some Israeli leisure travel over their weekends thrown in.
There is a pretty big jewish population in Malmo that i guess SAS is trying to target here, so I am not sure that the late arrival to CPH is a big issue.
The population of persons who believe in Judaism is larger in Copenhagen than in Malmo, but the numbers of such are not large enough in either place to make a success of this route by way of just VFR (leisure-type) traffic. [And a lot of the persons who are followers of Judaism in the region have family in the Americas or elsewhere in Europe who are more immediate relations than those in Israel -- so even with 4-6 weeks vacation + holidays, TLV may not be of primary interest to many in such demographic groups.]

This route seems more oriented toward the kind of business traffic yosithezet mentioned and perhaps some long-weekend leisure/package tour short excursions.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 1:29 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Wikipedia says there are 7-9000 & aprox 20000 people of jewish faith in DK&SE respectively. There has to be some serious tourism promotion involved (maybe a tour operator block booked some capacity) to make this work. VFR is not going to fill that bird, especially with tons of space already available ex European hubs.
As I see it, when it comes to their once-a-day or less service, SAS has become rather notorious for filling up planes in the back of the flying bus with package tour agent/group tour customers. Perhaps that's how they will top-off the cabins on these flights too.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 3:56 pm

Programs: EB, M&M, FB, Matmid, HH, Bonvoy
Originally Posted by yosithezet
I doubt that the majority of traffic is meant to flow in that direction. What would make more sense IMO is the following.

Sunday afternoon Israel to CPH. Israeli business folks heading to Europe for the work week. European tourists heading back from a warm weekend.

Thursday evening to Israel. Israeli business folk heading home for the weekend and tourists heading for a long weekend in a warm climate.

With BetterPlace's installation in Denmark this would seem to support that well potentially.
There are as well people that are working for Israeli companies: makes perfect sense to leave on Monday night from CPH, three days of meetings and get home at a decent time. Often with LH, OS and other airlines I get to TLV at impossible hours in the morning, when I have a 0900 meeting the morning after!
Old May 13, 2012, 2:46 am

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Any thoughts regarding what C service will be like on this flight?

Clearly, it will have Euro Business seating (Y seats with the middle blocked), but will they provide better catering than a typical Euro C flight? What about entertainment, amenity kit, etc?

Looking at SeatGuru, it appears the A319 and A321 are listed as all-economy. Does that mean that the first few rows don't even have better pitch?

Thanks,
Bostonbali
Old May 13, 2012, 3:02 am

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
Originally Posted by bostonbali
Any thoughts regarding what C service will be like on this flight?

Clearly, it will have Euro Business seating (Y seats with the middle blocked), but will they provide better catering than a typical Euro C flight? What about entertainment, amenity kit, etc?

Looking at SeatGuru, it appears the A319 and A321 are listed as all-economy. Does that mean that the first few rows don't even have better pitch?

Thanks,
Bostonbali

The first few rows don't have a better pitch.
I just hope they will start flying! I flew last week TLV-CPH with connections, what a nightmare...
Old May 14, 2012, 3:02 am

Programs: EBG, M&M SEN, FB Gold
It could be that there is actually need for some business travelling after all:

Eksport (1000 DKK)
I ALT 2010 2011
Irak 284 928 244 364
Iran 1 027 445 1 172 309
Israel 1 129 125 1 211 979
Kina 13 392 422 15 142 417
Kuwait 476 678 410 393
Libanon 625 754 659 106
Liberia 52 654 34 498
Libyen 269 864 156 152
Qatar 521 186 460 157

This shows that there is value in the export to Israel (increasing). So let us see if this is the same reasoning that SAS have made :-)

/HerrO
Old Jul 2, 2012, 11:59 pm

Due to award availability, I will be flying FRA-CPH-TLV. Arriving at CPH on LH822 at 08:20 and supposedly making it to SK771 at 09:00. Doable? I guess that if UA offered and ticketed this, it's legal... but does anyone know if any of those flights are remote-park+bus? What if I misconnect - will they put me on other *A via FRA/MUC/VIE/IST etc?
Old Jul 3, 2012, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by herro
This shows that there is value in the export to Israel (increasing). So let us see if this is the same reasoning that SAS have made :-)
/HerrO
Based on this we should see a CPH-IKA direct flight as well
Old Jul 3, 2012, 7:31 am

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
TR?

Can anyone report on this flight?
Food? IFE?
Old Jul 3, 2012, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SK-EBD
Originally Posted by zbenye
Due to award availability, I will be flying FRA-CPH-TLV. Arriving at CPH on LH822 at 08:20 and supposedly making it to SK771 at 09:00. Doable? I guess that if UA offered and ticketed this, it's legal... but does anyone know if any of those flights are remote-park+bus? What if I misconnect - will they put me on other *A via FRA/MUC/VIE/IST etc?
40 minutes should be ok.

Of course there will be tightened security at the gate, but that shouldn’t take too long. My guess is, that this will be done in one of the more roominess C-gates, which is an integrated part of the airport (after passport control, though).
Old Aug 9, 2012, 2:16 am

Programs: EB
Report upcoming

Hello ladies and gentlemen,

I am new to this forum, so I thought I might start off with a report on the TLV-CPH route, which I will be undertaking tonight in Economy Extra. Stay tuned!
And yes, I will make a point of asking for the champagne which I understand has been discontinued in Economy Extra, just to keep the pressure on SAS on this one....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.