100% earnings are soon back

Old Feb 13, 12, 2:05 am

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by wazow View Post
I wonder whether this will have any effect on earnings on other *A FFPs.
Totally my guess - no changes.

Originally Posted by Amexpat View Post
Any guesses as to whether there will be any changes to EB Bonus points received when flying discount economy with other *A carriers?
Totally my guess - no changes.
Old Feb 13, 12, 2:36 am

Programs: SK Eurobonus Silver, DL, AA, AY, US
Great news per se, but I just hope that this doesn't mean devaluation of the existing points (i.e. higher redemption rates and/or less points bargains). Or at least that they give as ample time to burn if they implement a change there.

Fly 4 low economy returns (with a connection) and get a free Eco Extra return anywhere within Scandinavia just sounds a little too generous to be true.
Old Feb 13, 12, 2:39 am

Programs: EBG, M&M SEN, FB Gold
Only 80 days left ^

http://blog.herro.dk/?p=140

Last edited by herro; Feb 13, 12 at 2:49 am
Old Feb 13, 12, 3:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger View Post
True, EBG will go up from 45k to 50k - not a big deal, especially with the new earning rates. OTOH I can stop being a "eurocheat" and use my actual residence address instead of my parents'

Or change to a "Norway-cheat" 45.000 points/35 trips
http://j9660.cloudapp.net/images/image.jpg
Old Feb 13, 12, 3:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mkgrip View Post
Fly 4 low economy returns (with a connection) and get a free Eco Extra return anywhere within Scandinavia just sounds a little too generous to be true.
Maybe they introduce fuel surcharges again for redemptions to compensate? Just a thought!
Old Feb 13, 12, 5:20 am

Programs: SK Eurobonus Silver, DL, AA, AY, US
Originally Posted by harri View Post
Maybe they introduce fuel surcharges again for redemptions to compensate? Just a thought!
Well that is something would be deeply devaluating the existing miles. I hope it does not go into the AY model of "free rewards" costing as much or more than revenue tickets.
Old Feb 13, 12, 6:14 am

Well those flying Economy flex ticket for on short EU trips, such as, BRU-ARN are not gonna gain as SAS seem to have lowered the earning threshold. What's worse is now with the Gold attainment threshold lowered from 70.000 points to 50.000 for residents in Sweden, especially those flying domestic which will earn higher points, lounges will be a zoo, even more crowded than now. Unless they introduce another level with more benefits for Gold members, this is not good news for the Elites flying Eco Flex and Business anyway.
Old Feb 13, 12, 6:59 am

Programs: EBG, Club Carlson Gold, Frequent Flyer, SPG, Gold Points
interesting change

Massive drop in SE Gold point level, lounges will be full of Swedes from now on

Flying approx 50% Eco Extra and 50% normal economy nowadays, can't remember when I last got full Eco points
Old Feb 13, 12, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
I find it interesting how negative people are finding the news on the SAS' facebook page.

I can have two worries, one is the burning rates. As mkgrip pointed out, it seems very generous for low economy flights. On the other hand, SAS has an awfull lot empty seats intra Scandivia. The other is the over crowding of the lounges. But SAS should be able to do the math on the most probable trends on the number of EBGs, and have set the level accordingly.

When the 40 segment rules was introduced it was to stop the drop in the number of EBGs, as more and more business travellers moved out of the premium booking classes. I did think it was too low 40, and it seems SAS now agrees.
Old Feb 13, 12, 8:03 am

Programs: EY Silver, SPG Platinum
SAS must have been looking at my EuroBonus points earning over the last few years - constantly I have been flying Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian, Turkish Airlines, UNITED, etc. Out of 122 flights I took in 2011, I think only 3 or 4 were with SAS, and 2 of those were a reward. Looks like SAS will be getting more business from me going forward once these changes come in to effect ^

If SAS also improves their onboard service to a level close to that of Lufthansa and Turkish Airlines then SAS will be my number one choice to fly with going forward.
Old Feb 13, 12, 8:10 am

Programs: EBG, Club Carlson Gold, Frequent Flyer, SPG, Gold Points
Originally Posted by naitkris View Post
SAS must have been looking at my EuroBonus points earning over the last few years - constantly I have been flying Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian, Turkish Airlines, UNITED, etc. Out of 122 flights I took in 2011, I think only 3 or 4 were with SAS, and 2 of those were a reward. Looks like SAS will be getting more business from me going forward once these changes come in to effect ^

If SAS also improves their onboard service to a level close to that of Lufthansa and Turkish Airlines then SAS will be my number one choice to fly with going forward.
So this change is your fault?

Just out of curiosity, why credt miles on EB if only so few flights with SK metal?
Old Feb 13, 12, 8:13 am

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger View Post
I think this is a great improvement - I really hate the "what booking class will earn how much?" game.
+1 I really hate to dig out how many points I'll earn from various FFP. At least I don't have to do this with SAS for now ^.
Old Feb 13, 12, 9:30 am

Programs: EY Silver, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by *RTW* View Post
Just out of curiosity, why credt miles on EB if only so few flights with SK metal?
Visit Scandinavia a few times a year due to family and work connections there. EuroBonus is useful for reward flights.

Last edited by naitkris; Feb 13, 12 at 12:08 pm
Old Feb 13, 12, 1:20 pm

Location: Either below the Ockham stack or below the approach to SDKY
Programs: UA 1MM/*G. AA EXP for 1 more year. Then, who knows?
Originally Posted by wazow View Post
I wonder whether this will have any effect on earnings on other *A FFPs. I would not mind at all earning an MM SEN flying SK. SK would not loose money on this, as I have to use them anyway, and I would have a better programme (and perhaps safer miles ...).
Assuming that the reason for the change is that they've realised that, in order to save a few pennies on FFM liability, they have been driving passengers away and losing massive revenues (no food, no drink, and barely any miles = LCC offering at legacy carrier fares), hopefully yes. And let's hope it's not too little and too late to save the company!
Old Feb 13, 12, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by koshka View Post
I guess the main issue now could be redemption rates. Given that I use the miles for the same route, BA want 15000 and SAS want 30000. On the other hand SAS do seem to offer good redemption deals now and again e.g. the 50% off intra-Scandinavian deal from the last two summers.
Just as all Scandinavia to EU1 flights will be start earning the same amount of miles, redemption levels are likely to be realigned in a similar way, resulting in the same price for an award regardless of if the trip originates at STO or CPH. Today the redemption level for a STO to EU1 award is 50% more expensive than a CPH to EU1 award.

It remains to be seen whether this will mean that CPH originating awards will be raised or that STO originating awards lowered, or both realigned to a level somewhere in the middle.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: