FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   SAS | EuroBonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus-499/)
-   -   SAS or Continental if flying business (CPH-EWR) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus/1305930-sas-continental-if-flying-business-cph-ewr.html)

Smokingbread Jan 23, 2012 1:53 pm

SAS or Continental if flying business (CPH-EWR)

When being a EBG member would you then recommend flying Continental C-class or stick with SAS C-class?

Upsides:
- Lie flat bed
- Approx. 50 % of the price of SAS C-Class (summer campaign)

Downsides:
- Less points (but anybody knows what you get for a Z class ticket on continental when being a EBG member?)
- A little bit longer flight time (and the risk for a technical stop if strong head wind)

Please share your comments

tgj1974 Jan 23, 2012 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by Smokingbread (Post 17872051)
When being a EBG member would you then recommend flying Continental C-class or stick with SAS C-class?

Upsides:
- Lie flat bed

Downsides:
- Less points (but anybody knows what you get for a Z class ticket on continental when being a EBG member?)
- A little bit longer flight time (and the risk for a technical stop if strong head wind)

Pretty much no brainer, if half price.

tourist Jan 23, 2012 3:51 pm

(but anybody knows what you get for a Z class ticket on continental when being a EBG member?)

Only 100%
http://www.flysas.com/en/EuroBonus/E...ntal-Airlines/

But half the price in combination with new business seats is a very convincing argument, isn't it?

JamesBond_ppk Jan 23, 2012 11:24 pm

Hard product better on CO.
Soft product better on SK without a doubt.

However for half the price on Co, this is a no brainer indeed.

GUWonder Jan 24, 2012 8:52 pm

I do this route quite a lot.

Lounge access at CPH is the same. Lounges at EWR are different, but I prefer the CO lounges to the SK lounge at EWR even as the food/beverage selection at the SK EWR lounge is better than what CO offers.

Fast-track security is not provided at CPH when flying CO, but it is provided when flying SK. Fast-track security at EWR is better with SK than with CO.

Check-in at CPH is more consistently quicker for me with CO than with SK, but a fair amount of time is eaten up with CO by having to get myself from the SK terminal to the other terminal for CO at CPH. At EWR, check-in with SK is often quicker than with CO; however, given I'm usually connecting from DCA on my way to CPH -- I still avoid IAD -- check-in at EWR isn't an issue for me; that, or I check-in at EWR in the morning so I can go directly to the gate upon returning from Manhattan.

Boarding process, a wash IMO; but at least with CO, more flexible cabin baggage practices. :D

In-flight hard product -- I prefer CO now to SK.

In-flight service -- I prefer SK.

... for half the price, I'd definitely pick CO. For any discount, I'd pick CO.

In most programs, Z on CO mostly credits like full fare economy class tickets. However, if booking a Z fare with the UA/CO-operated flight marketed as a LH flight (for example), the UA/CO-operated flight connecting CPH with EWR may end up crediting as a J booking class flight.

Given UA/CO's program doesn't charge fuel surcharges on mileage tickets, crediting the flights to UA/CO's program may make some sense if you plan to use them for a one-way ticket in Europe that would otherwise be expensive. If familiar with how fuel-dumping works for regular paid tickets, perhaps this will be of extraordinary use. :)

Long leg Jan 24, 2012 10:20 pm

Upsides:
- Lie flat bed

Downsides:

Where did you find this campaign?

Koc Jan 25, 2012 9:36 am

On a TATL I will always prefer a widebody before a narrow, and most european carriers before any US. But, for half the price I would say ^

..when on the subject: Unexpected Fuel Stops, Inconvenience and Delays

GUWonder Jan 25, 2012 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by Koc (Post 17884381)
On a TATL I will always prefer a widebody before a narrow, and most european carriers before any US. But, for half the price I would say ^

..when on the subject: Unexpected Fuel Stops, Inconvenience and Delays

CPH-EWR doesn't get disrupted by that relative to SK equipment breakdowns. :D

Koc Jan 25, 2012 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 17885670)
CPH-EWR doesn't get disrupted by that relative to SK equipment breakdowns. :D

Good point:D

Smokingbread Jan 31, 2012 11:37 am

Originally Posted by Long leg (Post 17881984)
Where did you find this campaign?

It was on the Danish version of lufthansa.com

In the beginning of Jan., Lufthansa and Air Canada had a similar campaign for the easter traveling...