booking class problem

Old Dec 30, 11, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EB, AY+
booking class problem

Hello ftalkers!

Im having a small dilemma here. My booking is BKK-HEL-BKK.
My inbound flight was in Z and return in S. Yes I should have booked D etc but I wasn't thinking when I booked. I just didn't want to sweat in eco.

So this S ticket is flexible and I can change any time without cost. But...
EcoExtra section seems to be rather small, and seat availability isn't good. I could call sas and pay extra for Y. Do you think it has more seats free in short notice (7-14days).
If I pay more and upgrade it to D or Y, can I cancel return flight and get full refund? (Full amount exluding Z fare). Will that spooky Z still haunt me.

Btw can I add one more flights to existing reservation?

Happy new year to all!
Old Dec 30, 11, 2:37 pm

Programs: EBS
Hi maybe I don't understand your question, but as both class S, B and Y is in Econ Extra with the same cabin and the same seats, I don't understand why you want to change your booking-class into the, I think, more expensive Y.
Old Dec 30, 11, 5:23 pm

Programs: TK M&S Elite (*G), SK EB Silver, various more or less shiny hotel cards
It's not at all clear what you want to do.

I assume that you are travelling via CPH so that your itinerary actually is BKK-CPH-HEL-CPH-BKK, and that BKK-CPH is in Business (booking class Z, 200% earning) and that CPH-BKK is in Economy Extra (booking class S, 150% earning).

Do you want to fly in Business class both ways, or do you want to change/cancel your trip?

No, you can't add more flights to an existing reservation.
Old Dec 31, 11, 5:23 am
Original Poster

sorry, I try to be more clear.

Oh, yes its via CPH.

My question is if Y has more availability than my S.

I recently called sas to change my flight, and S was quite full on many days. Agent offered to change ticket to business, D. After this I started to wonder if Y would have more free seats.
Old Dec 31, 11, 7:27 am

Programs: SK*G, Club Carlson Gold, A-Club Platinum
Y may have more availability than S.

Fares per way (excluding taxes, in SEK) HEL-BKK:
S: 8232 SEK
Y: 9665 SEK
D: 15615 SEK

So, in order to change booking class, you'd need to pay either:
1443 SEK to still travel in Economy Extra (Y) or 7383 SEK to fly in Business (D).
Old Dec 31, 11, 1:43 pm

Programs: TK M&S Elite (*G), SK EB Silver, various more or less shiny hotel cards
When booking class S is full, Y will still be sold. But afaik[*] higher booking classes in the same cabin will NOT open up any new seats. All the seats you see as non-available in the Economy Extra cabin are either taken by another passenger or held until the day of departure, it doesn't matter if you have a B, S, or Y ticket.

[*]If someone has another view/other facts on this, I would be interested to hear about it.

Last edited by tourist; Jan 2, 12 at 11:48 am
Old Jan 1, 12, 7:34 am
Original Poster

thank you hencjo and tourist!

I never travelled in Y, and I had impression that it has always couple of free seats. But no. Too small section.
Old Jan 2, 12, 10:50 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY Plat, IHG Plat, Visa Plat, PP Prest, BT Vip
OT: When using the KF or SK booking engines, where do you find the actual booking class letter? When not crediting to EB, that is the crucial detail.

Last edited by TTL; Jan 3, 12 at 12:37 am
Old Jan 2, 12, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by TTL View Post
OT: When using the KF or SK booking engines, where (in the H.ll) do you find the actual booking class letter? When not crediting to EB, that is the crucial detail.
With SK: At the bottom of the right-most column of stuff, you should have a blue text "Show EuroBonus points". If you click that link, do you get some greyish text showing booking classes below "EuroBonus points earnings"?
Old Jan 10, 12, 4:57 am

1. If flight is getting close to full or if they expect full fare passengers to buy the last seats they will close anything but Y-class in Economy Extra, same goes for Business Class where only C-class will be open (and A-class of course), all depending the loads and revenue expectations. But you dont need to upgrade your booking class before this happens. If they tell you that you need Y (instead of S) in order to get on the flight you want you can pay the fare difference at that time.
  2. And you can not make the Z-segments fully refundable by upgrading to a fare basis based on J, D or C. The amount originating from the Z-fare basis will remian unrefundable (if that was the rule in the original fare basis). E-ticket will be annotated with a remark regarding the unrefundable amount.
Old Jan 10, 12, 6:38 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
I believe the OP asked if changing booking class to Y would release additional available seats in the Y cabin/seats not available for booking class S.

The answer to this question is a clear No.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: