Newbie question

Old Dec 26, 11, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EBB
Newbie question

Hi guys,

First time poster here, so bear with me.

I am planning to travel to the States from Copenhagen(CPH) at least once a year to visit family. During my trip this summer (CPH-KEF-BOS-PHX, PHX-MCO, MCO-EWR-CPH) I found out about Eurobonus.

I am planning on flying the same route next year and also CPH-MCO for christmas.

My question is if I am in the right FFP? I have read a few threads and blogs that weren't very impressed by the SAS Eurobonus program. It is a jungle finding out what is 'right' for me.

I guess the way I will be earning points and miles are by flying and possibly getting a Eurobonus MasterCard. I haven't found any other options for danish residents. Do you know any?

/Rant over.

Mark

Edit: I have flown with SAS, Continental, US Airways and Icelandic Air. I am trying to avoid Charles De Gaulle airport and Alitalia airline.

Last edited by PowellM; Dec 26, 11 at 3:42 pm Reason: Forgot stuff.
Old Dec 27, 11, 3:00 am

Eurobonus might actually be the right programme for you. As you fly over the pond with SAS (you might would concider switching from Iceland to increase the number of SAS legs) you will be able to use Eurobonus points for upgrades to Business Class. As you donīt fly very often you can probably collect enough points for the upgrades by using the co-branded Mastercard?
Old Dec 27, 11, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Thats what I was thinking. I will call Eurobonus to ask questions about the Mastercard.
Old Dec 27, 11, 9:42 am

Programs: TK M&S Elite (*G), SK EB Silver, various more or less shiny hotel cards
If you are a resident of Denmark:
http://www.sas.dk/shared/EuroBonus/O...rt/MasterCard/

If you are a resident of Sweden:
http://www.sas.se/sv/EuroBonus/Tjana...rt/MasterCard/
Old Dec 27, 11, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Thank you both for the quick responses!
Old Dec 28, 11, 1:36 am

EuroBonus makes most sense if you're living in Scandinavia as it's the 'home' airline. Be sure you accrue EB miles when you fly the other Star Alliance airlines, CO/UA, US Airways, Lufthansa, etc.

In addition to the direct flights from CPH to EWR/ORD/IAD on SK, with onward connections on CO/UA partners, you can also fly with CO out of CPH to EWR. If you are traveling CPH-MCO on occasion, LH has a very good connection through Frankfurt (CPH-FRA-MCO) with the return flight leaving MCO late in the evening, which I quite like when I'm returning from the U.S.

I agree with SK_RSJ that you may want to drop IcelandAir in favour of the *A partners. While they have some decent fares and connections, and a painless airport to navigate, the flying experience isn't that great.

If you're trying to avoid CDG, that shouldn't be a problem if you stick with *A because AirFrance is a member of SkyTeam. I've been flying CPH to the U.S. with DL/SkyTeam for some years now, but they've dropped their CPH-JFK and CPH-ATL routes to just a CPH-JFK seasonal (summer only) which makes it less attractive to fly SkyTeam now (needing to connect in AMS or CDG).

Another *A partner is AirCanada who has a direct flight from CPH-YYZ (Toronto). That might sometimes be an option for you with connections to the US from Toronto.

Lastly, keep your eye on the Virgin-Atlantic (VS) discussions about the possibility of their joining Star Alliance. If that happens, there could be some good connections from CPH to LHR/LGW/MAN with SK or BMI onward with VS to the U.S. (including BOS/EWR/JFK/MCO).

Susan
Old Dec 28, 11, 2:42 am
Original Poster

THe last time I flew with AirFrance, they were a part of Star Alliance. But that was ten years ago. But you have given me some great advice for my next booking. I am also looking into the Eurobonus Mastercard.
Old Dec 28, 11, 4:40 am

Programs: TK M&S Elite (*G), SK EB Silver, various more or less shiny hotel cards
I don't think you remember correctly, Air France is one of the founders of SkyTeam.
Old Dec 28, 11, 4:42 am

Programs: SK EBG
Originally Posted by PowellM View Post
THe last time I flew with AirFrance, they were a part of Star Alliance. But that was ten years ago. But you have given me some great advice for my next booking. I am also looking into the Eurobonus Mastercard.
Air France has never been a member of Star Alliance.
Old Dec 28, 11, 6:00 am
Original Poster

ah okay, I remember wrong then.

I have beenLet me see if I get this right. Eurobonus Points you get for flown miles with SAS or Star Alliance members can be used for buying cheaper fares and class upgrades, EuroBonus Mastercard Extra Points you earn with the CC can be used for upgrading classes aswell?

I may be slow, but I can't get an overview.
Old Dec 28, 11, 9:50 am

Programs: EBG
Yes, the difference is that points earned not by flying don't give you a higher memebership status (e.g. EB Silver or Gold), which in turn gives you advantages such as business check-in, lounge access (only Gold), extra bags and so on.
Old Dec 28, 11, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

The only advantage i can see for me being in the Eurobonus program is the upgrade to a higher booking class. I won't make Gold and business check in seems irrelevant since you have alot of self service machines now, and I dont need the extra bag.
Old Dec 29, 11, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by PowellM View Post
The only advantage i can see for me being in the Eurobonus program is the upgrade to a higher booking class. I won't make Gold and business check in seems irrelevant since you have alot of self service machines now, and I dont need the extra bag.
If you plan to fly SK for most of your TATL flights, it's best to accrue your miles there so you have miles available for potential upgrades. Also, if there are op-ups when M is oversold, you have a better chance of being upgraded as a solo flyer with Silver status than no status.

I'm not sure how often it happens any more, with the OT upgrades, etc., but many times in the past when I approached the counter to request a standby upgrade with points, my husband and I were upgraded free as EB Silver members because the flight was oversold and they were going to upgrade someone anyway. It always surprised me that they didn't take our points anyway, since we'd offered them. However, this is going back a few years so YMMV.

If not EuroBonus, what other programs were you looking at? You will want to credit the miles from all your Star Alliance flights somewhere. You could look at doing so on UA/CO or LH but you wouldn't likely gain anything by that unless you think you could reach Gold on one of their programs, giving you access to the lounges.

Another advantage to crediting with SK is that they have the monthly bonus offers where you can get award trips often for half the normal required points. So if you wanted to take a long weekend somewhere within Europe, you might find you've accrued enough points to do that. There are also hotel partners. In the last two years, my husband and I have taken two long weekends to London (in Y+/C) and had a 3-night stay at a hotel in Sweden using our SK points since we hadn't had a chance to use them up on SK TATL flights.

Susan
Old Dec 29, 11, 6:52 am
Original Poster

I am currently looking at fares for june/july and august on momondo and kayak and the airlines that come up with the lowest prices are British Airways and Airberlin, so maybe it would be wise to sign up for OneWorld too? This is flying out of CPH to LAX
Old Dec 29, 11, 3:01 pm

Strictly speaking, you can't be a member of "OneWorld", you will be a member of a program belonging to one of the airlines in OneWorld, like British Airways Executive Club, so pick a program with care.

However, there is no need to sign up for any new FF program until you have booked your tickets, it could even be unwise to have an old account if at a later date that program decides on a nice sign-up bonus. (I'm still regretting that I didn't enlist more parents, siblings and whatever for my family account in BMI Diamond Club in 2008(?) when the 9000 miles bonus came... )

Search this Thread
Search Engine: